Rehoming A Chow Chow

bondichowchow

Hi,

I have been in a constant struggle since we are considering to rehome our 9 year old chow chow. He has been a great companion at home and really protective over me. Since I am pregnant, we have decided it might be best to pass him on to a family with no children. Our chow is a fear biter and after going through three training courses, he is still very uncomfortable with other dogs outside the house and with children. We could really not trust him with a child.

I was wondering if anyone has some experience with rehoming who could tell me how it is from a dog's perspective.. i know that might be hard. but my constant issue is thinking that my dog will feel abandoned. and that kills me.

I thought if i found a suitable home, i could send him there 1 week at a time so he could feel comfortable with his new family and after 4 months of doing this, we let go. I could still visit him but i don't know if this is best for him or will this just mess him up.

Thank you

Hi Chow,

ITs an awful feeling when you lack confidence in your immediate enviroment when pregnant.

I am 30 weeks pregnant now and am continuing to put things in place to decrease my stress levels for when baby arrives.

This is my 3rd child and I suppose I have a lot of confidence in my ability to make it work.

When I had my first baby 4 years ago, I had 2 big dogs. A Belgian Shepherd and a Goldie. I had 2 goats, 4 horses and 30 chooks. I had 10 acres to maintain and was still working. I was off my face with protectiveness and stress.

I started to reduce my stress levels by removing those things that would make my life difficult. First thing was removing my dogs sleeping arrangements from my room to the laundary. I bought a baby gate to go across the door so my dogs had a confined space but were stilll part of the household. When baby was sleeping during the day I would let them in for a while and ensure they did not leave their allocated floor space.

I would walk the 2 of them with the pram every day so they would develop a positive association with the new addition. Things were starting to fall in to place and a new routine was forming. My confidence grew and soon I started taking the picnic rug on to the lawn and throwing the ball whilst baby was in my lap or in the rocker next to me.

The dogs developed a strong bond with the baby and never saw her as a threat.

Constant supervision and positive reinforcement will work.

Its not too late to crate train and let your dog remain in the pack. Unless the baby threatens the dog its unlikely it will fear bite. It takes a lot of thought and work to put things in place, sometimes money but it works.

If your dog is going to be kicked out because you seriously think your baby is under threat after implementing plans then I would rehome. You dont want to end up hating your dog and not enjoying motherhood.

Both of my beautiful dogs are dead now, but I did get a Whippet when I was pregnant with my 2nd. Again, I implemented plans and all is well. She heals to the pram and has the most amazing bond with my 2 and 4 year old girls.

The Goldie died this year and the Whippet is an only dog. We are going to get another, and for me and my family we prefer to have a dog in routine before the baby arrives so we can all bond together.

We are getting another dog Christmas Eve so we can get things right before the baby comes. Things are stressful, chaotic and difficult in babys first few months, but my dogs have just adjusted and I am sure they are more laid back than the average because of it. I never make regular times to walk or feed as I need them to be flexible, and they all have been.

Good luck with it, try a few things. I do feel for you as will most mums remembering the anxiety associated with having their first baby. Your babys welfare is more important than anything, so try and get it to work, if it doesnt then rehome.

I'm really sorry to hear about your current situation.

Have you contacted the Chow Club in your state for guidence?

What is your trainer having you do?

Although it's sad to chuck an inside living dog outside when a baby arrives, perhaps you can start getting the dog used to being an outisde dog and have your partner/husband walk the dog for you and continue the training you have been doing whilst keeping you and your baby stafe?

In all honesty, I personaly couldn't reccomend you re-home a dog that is aggressive in any sort of way, it makes you liable to rehome such a dog and it's just passing the problem on, the next home the dog goes to may not be managed as well as you have managed the dog and the dog may attack a dog or bite a child as per your fears.

Although not a nice thought at all, sometimes the kindest thing you can do is be there holding your dog with all the love in your heart when you put it to sleep.

I tend to agree with sas - IMO ,any fear based issues may well become worse for a time, if the dog is in an unfamiliar situation, making it very hard for the new humans :rainbowbridge:

What does your trainer/behaviourist recommend?Do they think it possible, with new strategies, he remain at home?

At 9 years of age- leaving his home will be hard for your dog- and I am glad you are thinking long and hard on this. :(

So many just 'dump' the dog, with no consideration.

A difficult time for you- I am sorry.

I'm really sorry to hear about your current situation.

Have you contacted the Chow Club in your state for guidence?

What is your trainer having you do?

Although it's sad to chuck an inside living dog outside when a baby arrives, perhaps you can start getting the dog used to being an outisde dog and have your partner/husband walk the dog for you and continue the training you have been doing whilst keeping you and your baby stafe?

In all honesty, I personaly couldn't reccomend you re-home a dog that is aggressive in any sort of way, it makes you liable to rehome such a dog and it's just passing the problem on, the next home the dog goes to may not be managed as well as you have managed the dog and the dog may attack a dog or bite a child as per your fears.

Although not a nice thought at all, sometimes the kindest thing you can do is be there holding your dog with all the love in your heart when you put it to sleep.

Yes, contact the Chow Club and ask them for help - most breed clubs are great with this sort of situation.

I have to agree with sas as well... Sadly some dogs just don't do well when being rehomed and could become more of a liability to the new owners.. Being give his wings in the arms of someone he loves and trusts is better than being given away to strangers for some dogs...

I tend to agree with sas - IMO ,any fear based issues may well become worse for a time, if the dog is in an unfamiliar situation, making it very hard for the new humans :rainbowbridge:

What does your trainer/behaviourist recommend?Do they think it possible, with new strategies, he remain at home?

At 9 years of age- leaving his home will be hard for your dog- and I am glad you are thinking long and hard on this. :(

So many just 'dump' the dog, with no consideration.

A difficult time for you- I am sorry.

Neither of my dogs had any 'issues' that were evident prior to having the baby so I suppose its a different situation all together.

I still felt very anxious about the situation though.

Maybe ask Erny or Nekhbet for further advice.

Good luck, you must be heart broken, but your head is definately in the right place ensuring the safety and welfare of both your dog and new baby.

How awful for you & your dog.

I can only say that whatever you decide to do, do it before your baby is born.

My friends daughter was in the same position with 2 large breed rescue dogs she had for about 5 years. Good with her, OH & adults but not children & never 100% trustworthy.

Coming home with new baby & entering the house the dogs reacted very badly, full on attack, & were PTS shortly after.

She suffered post natal depression & took the loss of the dogs, who were absolutely spoilt & loved, so badly.

I am not suggesting your dog would react so drastically, probably wouldn't, & I hope things work out but what I mean is that birth messes with the hormones so much & when baby is here it gets confusing, so try & sort it out now.

Best of luck for a happy outcome.

after going through three training courses,

This bit sort of confuses me----- did the dog go away for training? or did you have three periods of time with supervised excercises, or ?

Is the person who helped you then available to help with this decision making?

Send a private message through this board to Goldchow, who is a chow breeder, and does Chow rescue. Sengechow is another on this board with the breed, both could give you some relevant advice. May have "Sengechow"'s name wrong, so maybe check the members list

There was also someone on the rescue forum searching for a rescue chow.

I think you need really need advice from a chow breeder or someone who has owned a few of the breed.

This breed is inscrutiably oriental, and I'm certainly not going to give advice, I don't have enough experience with this particular breed. And I doubt that some of the people replying have sufficient either.

I think you need really need advice from a chow breeder or someone who has owned a few of the breed.

This breed is inscrutiably oriental, and I'm certainly not going to give advice, I don't have enough experience with this particular breed. And I doubt that some of the people replying have sufficient either.

I'd agree with this. From what I know of Chows they have a distinctive temperament, more so than for most breeds, and you'd be best talking to someone experienced with them.

Good luck, with the care you are giving to the decision and some good advice I am sure you'll do what's best.

I agree with Jed - contact Goldchow as you will need to find a home that knows and understands the breed. They are not a breed to go to just anyone.

Having owned chow's before and having had to try and rehome one before they are not the easiest breed to find a suitable home for.

I wish you the best of luck.

Hi BondiChow,

Do contact the Chow Club of NSW - you should be able to get the club's contact details from Dogs NSW - you want to see if there is someone in NSW doing Chow rescue. Alternatively, go to the Chow Chow Club of Victoria website (chowchowclubvic.com.au) and on the upper left hand side is drop down menu that will give you the contact details for the Rescue folks down here. Also, contact your boy's breeder for advice.

A Chow at 9 years of age that is a fear biter is a challenge to rehome. You might want to write up a biography about your Chow all his good points, why you think he is a fear biter & what you do to manage the situation and so on and then post that with some pictures on the DOL rescue pages together with information about what you are looking for in a new home/new human for him.

As for rehoming a Chow in general, it is do-able - but it does require patience and personally I would want to ensure that the adopters had experience with the breed. It can take them up to three months to get used to having had their world changed so dramatically. And you will need to take an active role in ensuring that he goes into the right home, the right environment.

Now, all that being said, you don't say how/why this boy is a fear biter. With Chows, they generally don't bite (even out of fear) for no reason. In addition, they tend to be quite protective of their "clan" and that includes human puppies. If you want some further advice, try writing to Vicki DeGruy who helps run the Chow Welfare program in America (you should be able to find her details through a search online) and often is able to provide advice and insight into training/retraining Chows.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information or if you think I can be of any further help.

All the best,

Judith-Ann

what training courses have you done? Have you seen a behaviorist or have you simply been to dog school.

Chows are unique and they need a special type of owner. I have met one that reduced its pregnant owner to tears. It was highly aggressive and frankly I would be wary rehoming.

If the dog has anxiety, it needs someone that has handled chows, aggression and anxiety problems. Have you considered building him a separate area and managing him instead of rehoming? At such an advanced age and with problems he may really blow up. I know its not nice to think about but euthanasia is another option if you speak to chow people and rehoming becomes very difficult.

I will tell you one thing be wary with rehoming. If you have a large dog that has problems and a set of teeth to back it up then choose VERY carefully. So many people go the 'oh poor dog I can handle it' and in reality they cannot. If they have not managed, trained or rehabilitated aggressive dogs before then dont bother.

Send a private message through this board to Goldchow, who is a chow breeder, and does Chow rescue. Sengechow is another on this board with the breed, both could give you some relevant advice. May have "Sengechow"'s name wrong, so maybe check the members list

There was also someone on the rescue forum searching for a rescue chow.

Aggression is aggression regardless or breed or is there a magic way to cure a Chow's aggression?

I do not mean to sound rude or insincere, but I too have a baby due soon and have three Shar Pei, very similar in temperment to the Chow

One of my Shar Pei is fear aggressive, she is almost 2 years old, the others are 8 and 7 years. We have gone to a great deal of trouble to introduce the dogs to the babies things by having them out in the house now, I have been teaching her to walk near the pram for months

We play a CD of a baby crying and they have been trained to stay outside the baby gate and have spent more time outside then they were used to

Due to the ages of my older 2 and the health issues of one (Pei only live until 8-12) the fear aggression of the younger we have decided that if they take a dislike to the baby or pose any risk at all that as much as we love them none are rehomeable and would be given their wings

Rehoming a fear aggressive dog at 9 years old is very irresponsible and to me cruel

I am sorry to say this but that is my feelings on this

But before any decision is made you need to contact a behavourist to ensure you are doing the right thing by the dog

I have also found in my years of rehoming an oriental breed that it is better to rehome and have no contact for a few months

Rehoming a fear aggressive dog at 9 years old is very irresponsible

I think she has more of a responsibility to protect her child now, priorities change and although I dont agree with rehoming every dog just because a baby comes on the scene - if the dog is agressive in any way shape or form, fear biter or otherwise, then she will obviously think about her childs welfare first. So would I, its a case of priorities!

Bringing a newborn baby into the house changes the whole dynamics of the family and ANY dog will be affected in someway. If this dog doesnt cope well with children or things that may frighten it, such as loud noises, fast moving toddlers etc, then rehoming definately needs to be considered.

Whatever you decide Bondichow, i hope it works out for you. I would do the same thing in your shoes.

I think she has more of a responsibility to protect her child now, priorities change and although I dont agree with rehoming every dog just because a baby comes on the scene - if the dog is agressive in any way shape or form, fear biter or otherwise, then she will obviously think about her childs welfare first. So would I, its a case of priorities!

Bringing a newborn baby into the house changes the whole dynamics of the family and ANY dog will be affected in someway. If this dog doesnt cope well with children or things that may frighten it, such as loud noises, fast moving toddlers etc, then rehoming definately needs to be considered.

I think you have maybe misunderstood SPR. She is not saying put the welfare of the dog ahead of the child. In fact she is saying as a responsible dog owner, as hard as it may be, rehoming an fear aggressive dog of that age is not fair on the dog or on a new owner and pts is probably a more responsible and real option.

Whatever you decide Bondichow, i hope it works out for you. I would do the same thing in your shoes.

If you had bothered to read my whole post you would note that I too have a baby due soon so am well aware of the dynamic changes a baby brings to the life of a dog

I am not saying that she should not protect her child, we all put our children first over dogs

But rehoming a 9 year old short lived breed with aggression issues is not only near impossible it is irresponsible

Not all dogs are suitable for rehoming, it is something we all need to accept as hard as it is

I apologise sharpei rescue, i missed the bit in your post where you said "give them their wings". That too would be my first choice given the circumstances, but not many people think that way on this forum and would be horrified at the thought of euthansia as an option. Didnt expect to see it in your post so missed it! :D

Edited to say - good luck with the birth of your baby, enjoy your birth and enjoy your new little bundle, such a special time.

Edited by Whipitgood