Medium- Large Breeds Not Prone To Hd

teekay

You might need to check these, but I don't think HD is a problem in

Salukis

Borzois

Greyhounds

Spinone

Lagotto

And there is very little HD in boxers from good registered breeders,but they are not for everyone, and very different from a GR :laugh:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might need to check these, but I don't think HD is a problem in

Salukis

Borzois

Greyhounds

Spinone

Lagotto

And there is very little HD in boxers from good registered breeders,but they are not for everyone, and very different from a GR :(

Although uncommon in the breed in Australia, HD is definitely in Spinone unfortunately. A DOLer's Spinone has HD :laugh:

There are plenty of statistics available on the web that add some data to this issue.

Here are OFA breed ratings from highest to lowest scores

Greyhounds, Pharoah Hounds, Borzoi, Saluki and Whippets are towards the bottom of the list.

Thanks Poodlefan, that is an excellent link, very interesting. I was surprised the Labrador only had just over 12%, I always imagined it would be higher.

There are plenty of statistics available on the web that add some data to this issue.

Greyhounds, Pharoah Hounds, Borzoi, Saluki and Whippets are towards the bottom of the list.

Thanks Poodlefan, that is an excellent link, very interesting. I was surprised the Labrador only had just over 12%, I always imagined it would be higher.

More than 1 dog in 10 dysplastic ain't wonderful though. If ever there was a breed that needs to be kept lean and not over exercised as a pup, the Lab is one. Some of the pups I've seen lately look more like beef cattle than a dog bred to work all day retrieving. :laugh:

More than 1 dog in 10 dysplastic ain't wonderful though. If ever there was a breed that needs to be kept lean and not over exercised as a pup, the Lab is one. Some of the pups I've seen lately look more like beef cattle than a dog bred to work all day retrieving. :love:

Yeh, when you put in that way it doesn't sound too good. Thought I would share a couple of pictures of my lovely Lab who sadly died in April, aged 5. We miss her very single day. As you can see she was not one of the porkers :thumbsup:

IMG_0023-1.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

That was an interesting link.

The results for the Labradors were better than I thought - considering they had over 200,000 dogs tested and only 12% were dysplastic.

Compared to other breeds that had only 1000 dogs tested and they were also 12% for instance.

I was surprised that the Siberian Husky was so low on the list. For the size of dog it is, I found this interesting and can't help but wonder why, when, say, the GSD is quite high. Is there a genetic reason why the husky is so low, does anyone know?

I was surprised that the Siberian Husky was so low on the list. For the size of dog it is, I found this interesting and can't help but wonder why, when, say, the GSD is quite high. Is there a genetic reason why the husky is so low, does anyone know?

Huskies and GSDs still have very different structure. Sibes are generally smaller too, bitches can be under 20kg and males shouldn't exceed 27kg.

There would be more GSDs too, and not so many Sibes, with most Sibe breeders screening their dogs for HD even though it isn't very common in the breed. Sibes are generally known for being a breed with pretty good health. When bred properly they are a solid, compact and healthy dog.

Edited by huski

Huskies and GSDs still have very different structure. Sibes are generally smaller too, bitches can be under 20kg and males shouldn't exceed 27kg.

There would be more GSDs too, and not so many Sibes, with most Sibe breeders screening their dogs for HD even though it isn't very common in the breed. Sibes are generally known for being a breed with pretty good health. When bred properly they are a solid, compact and healthy dog.

Sorry I didn't mean to directly compare the Sibe and the GSD as they are very different dogs as you have pointed out. It's just that the Siberian Husky jumped out at me as they did have a relatively large sample compared to the dogs around them on the list, and still came out very well.

Sorry I didn't mean to directly compare the Sibe and the GSD as they are very different dogs as you have pointed out. It's just that the Siberian Husky jumped out at me as they did have a relatively large sample compared to the dogs around them on the list, and still came out very well.

I'm not quite sure on the specific reasons why they have a lower rate of HD, I would suggest it's probably a combination of things. I guess when breeding dogs for sledding those who were lame in anyway would not have been bred from, and this artificial selection based on the dog's workability probably contributed to the fact we still have a pretty healthy breed.

With rarer breeds there has been problems with OFA until it changed recently because the dogs are juged by a similar breed's ideal and not under its own merit.E.g for Clumber Spaniels for years they never had a dog have 'normal' results but no dogs were showing signs of being effected with HD .

The results for the Labradors were better than I thought - considering they had over 200,000 dogs tested and only 12% were dysplastic.

Compared to other breeds that had only 1000 dogs tested and they were also 12% for instance.

How is the 12% labradors scored any better than the 12% scored by another breed? Comparing the two they look as bad as each other. The same percentage. The only difference is that labs are a popular breed, so there are many thousands of them having beeen diagnosed with HD. Is that really better than you thought it was?

I guess many of the dogs considered radiographically Dysplastic by OFA will not be symptomatic. I know in berners several who are considered dysplastic by radiograph / scores but not symptomatic (ie a 4:34 who is 10 years and minimal sign of any arthritis) so unfortunately its a crap shoot......

How is the 12% labradors scored any better than the 12% scored by another breed? Comparing the two they look as bad as each other. The same percentage. The only difference is that labs are a popular breed, so there are many thousands of them having beeen diagnosed with HD. Is that really better than you thought it was?

Well gees........wasnt quite the point I was trying to make, but I would think 12% is a lot better than 73% and considering that it is a requirement for Labradors to be x-rayed for HD - according to that list they come in at no. 79 - so there appears to be a lot more breeds that it should also be compulsory for, rather than the few breeds in Australia that have to be done.