Boarding Kennel Suggestions Please Newcastle Nsw Area

traciemc

I had to put Huey my french bulldog into a local boarding facility for four nights while I went to the north coast for xmas. This was the first time he's been away from me for any length of time. I spoke to them while I was away to check on him and was told "everything's fine" however when I picked him up he had lost heaps of weight and looked awful. I don't think he ate ANYTHING while he was there. He's really quiet and following me around more than normal and looks so sad! I feel so guilty...

I have to do some travelling for work in 2010 and I'm worried now about boarding him again. It seems to have traumatised him.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good boarding kennel in the Newcastle area, maybe one which will let me provide his own food for him and will give him a bit of extra attention or something?

Has anyone used in - home care before? that would be better for him I think.

Thanks

I will only use a house sitter or in - home care for my terrors. With 2 dogs I find it cheaper then most kennels.

Have used Top Dog minders in Sydney and Holiday Heaven 4 hounds (I think, was years ago) on the central coast. I can not fault either, both times dogs came back happy and healthy. From what I understand my female spent the time on the carers lounge with her son while on the central coast, which would have suited her down to the ground.

CJ'S Kennels at Bobs Farm, near Nelson Bay.

VERY reasonably priced, and very caring.Set on acreage in rural setting.The dogs get two walks a day.Everything included in the daily/weekly fee, no extra costs.

You can take your own food if you wish.

All I know who have used them, speak highly of them and make return visits

Edited by dingdongdell

CJ'S Kennels at Bobs Farm, near Nelson Bay.

VERY reasonably priced, and very caring.Set on acreage in rural setting.The dogs get two walks a day.Everything included in the daily/weekly fee, no extra costs.

You can take your own food if you wish.

All I know who have used them, speak highly of them and make return visits

Hmmm I've spoken to a number of people who have had issues with CJ's.

Tracie if you dont mind the drive I work at Bluegum Boarding lodge at morrisset and they are excellent there. We have a lovely frenchie in at the moment and he gets super spoiled mostly from me cause I like frenchies LOL also any pugs that come in get extra love an attention from me because I love them all. But generally all dogs get plenty of loving and cuddles from all the staff, they get plenty of time in the big grassed areas and if hes good with other little dogs hes more than welcome to join a play group (supervised) If not thats cool he just gets his own extra special time out in the run.

Huey may loose weight anywhere he goes 4 days isnt very long for him to settle in, and a dog that isnt settle may choose not to eat, especially if he hadnt been there before, also some breeds do need more than some facilities realise and purhaps he was fed but just not feed enough for the breed, where ever you send him next make sure provide your own food and request he have two meals a day! :thumbsup: We dont charge extra for feeding home prepared food or medication or anything like that like alot of other places either! PM me if you need anymore info!

Did you send a blanket and or toys from home with your smells on it for him? Sometimes this helps dogs settle in better?

Would also suggest Akuna at abermain...Spoilt lab lives here on these forums works there, atleast i think she still does, perhaps pm her? They are another I would reccomend!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

I have used Akuna Care up at Abermain & they are great :o .....They are they only ones I use :laugh:

Thats where i work :)

We allow people to bring their own food and if the dogs are not eating we try everything to get them to eat. We just had a boxer pup come in abit on the thin side. The owner was having trouble getting weight on her, she weighed 15 kgs when she came in and wasnt eating, we mixed her food up with some treats and found something that she loved...sardines...she went home yesterday at 18.3kgs!

Poodle mum when were your dogs last there?

ETA- www.pets.net.au

Thats our website!

Edited by spoilt lab lives here

I have used Akuna Care up at Abermain & they are great :hug: .....They are they only ones I use :(

When I was looking for recommendations a while ago I'm pretty sure it was you who recommended Akuna. We went with them and couldn't have been happier.

One of our dogs can be quite difficult so we were nervous about boarding him but had no choice at the time. Everything went without a hitch and we won't hesitate to use them again.

Hi Spoilt lab!.......My 2 girls & 1 boy (std poodles :vomit: ) Tango, Poppy & Merry :hug: were up there last September :(

I have known Marcus for ages. I have often taken my classes I teach at TAFE to the kennels for a visit .

I know how you feel Malamum.....one of my girls is "concerned" about strangers & I was always worried how she would behave in kennels.

Edited by Poodle Mum

I had to put Huey my french bulldog into a local boarding facility for four nights while I went to the north coast for xmas. This was the first time he's been away from me for any length of time. I spoke to them while I was away to check on him and was told "everything's fine" however when I picked him up he had lost heaps of weight and looked awful. I don't think he ate ANYTHING while he was there. He's really quiet and following me around more than normal and looks so sad! I feel so guilty...

I have to do some travelling for work in 2010 and I'm worried now about boarding him again. It seems to have traumatised him.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good boarding kennel in the Newcastle area, maybe one which will let me provide his own food for him and will give him a bit of extra attention or something?

Has anyone used in - home care before? that would be better for him I think.

Thanks

Pitty Huey didn't like his holiday and more of a shame for you because it only causes you to worry. I have nothing to do with Bluegum Boarding Lodge except for being owned by a Great Dane and cat who love going there for their holidays, I call it their "Holliday Resort". Be assured all breeds of dogs are welcome there and there are lots of small to medium sized dogs there. I happily drive out leaving them knowing they are well looked after and are happy, as a result I am able to enjoy my holiday too. The kennels and cattery are clean and all the animals I have seen there are happy. I have suggested Bluegum Boarding Lodge to a number of people and no one has been negative about their experience and like me will not look elsewhere. Perhaps you could try leaving Huey for a few 2 or 3 night visits when it isn't so busy that way it should be a bit less hectic for the staff and he can get used to the idea you will be coming back to get him. Good Luck getting Huey use to boarding.

• 2 months later...

Have you looked at local pet care companies? My neighbour uses "Sandy Paws", he found it with an online search but it turns out the local vet recommends them too. If you're only away for a little while you could leave your dog home rather than worrying about how happy he would be in unfamiliar kennels.

I think they do dog walking and daily visits for pet minding and they send though photos too.

It's really hard leaving a family member even for a holiday isn't it! Good luck, hope you find some place you feel comfortable with.

Come down the freeway and try here: http://www.justlikehomepetresort.com.au/

Personal care and run by a DOLer :laugh:

Thanks very much Gillybear.........

I always welcome inspections and treat the dogs as our own till you return..

I had a french bulldog over Christmas and he was wonderfful....although we did need a dribble towel....he was such a sweetheart and enjoyed our airconditioned kennels in the 40C degree heat over Chrissy.....