I Found Me A Stray Puppy-dog!

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

I live in a small coastal fishing town that gets "touristey" during holiday periods....I could hear my dogs goind nuts this morning, and lo & behold there is a big black dog trying to make friends through the fence.

he ran off when I came outside, so I hopped in the car & followed him.....opened the door & he hopped in, and he's now tethered on my verandah with a big bowl of water & a blanket in the shade.

He has tags but no one is answering the mobile, so I have left a message for the owner, and let the ranger know, I've done a walk round where most of the tourists are, and I've let the local shop know (the hub of town)....I guess his owner is a New Years visitor who is passed out with a hangover somewhere & will come find me when they wake up & realise their boy is gone...

He is a young entire male who appears to be Lab x Border Collie....very well trained & absolutely adorable.......what a shame if no one clams him!!! :thumbsup:

He will have to go to the pound tonight if no one claims him by then (the lovliest pound in the world, he will be spoilt rotten there!!!) but for now I can pretend I have a lovely big boofhead!!

Edited by Willow

Good thinking to open the car door for him. He sounds a lovely dog.

Here's hoping his owners soon wake from their post-New Year Eve's sleep & answer their phone. Thank goodness he's got an ID tag.

Guest Willow

Puppy dog has gone home...turned out he belongs to a young couple who moved to town a couple of days before xmas....poor baby was feeling unsettled & took off from the house this morning.

They seem like a nice couple, similar age to me, have a toddler & a baby..................and they want to employ me to do some dog training!!! :thumbsup:

Might have found a new friend from this :laugh:

Puppy dog has gone home...turned out he belongs to a young couple who moved to town a couple of days before xmas....poor baby was feeling unsettled & took off from the house this morning.

They seem like a nice couple, similar age to me, have a toddler & a baby..................and they want to employ me to do some dog training!!! :eek:

Might have found a new friend from this :eek:

What a great result and of course, part of that training will be training them as to the benefits (and necessity) of having him desexed. :eek::eek:

:thumbsup::laugh:

Guest Willow
What a great result and of course, part of that training will be training them as to the benefits (and necessity) of having him desexed. :eek::eek:

:thumbsup::laugh:

Fully agree Cynthia :eek:

At the end of the day though, it's their choice about getting him desexed, and the matter would need to be handled gently gently, as small town politics can be a nightmare, but if he escapes again, it's a good opener to the conversation about how sterilised dogs may roam less :laugh:

I'm hoping that since he had such a blast at my place, if he gets out again the first place he heads to will be here.....

They have that Innotek fencing, which he just ignored & barged straight through the buzz, so I had a chat to them about how traditional fencing is more effective, and they have already learned that it's not suitable for their dog.

The seem like very lovely people, and their dog is in beautiful condition, and has a very nice temperament, so they must have half a clue about raising a dog :eek: and I'm sure they'll be open to some suggestions once I get to know them better.

Don't just want to steam in there like a frieght train, and ruin what could be a good friendship....it will be nice to have mum my age with a baby around.

Guest Willow
im glad the dog is ok and home, im jealous that you live in a small coastal fishing village - thats my idea of heaven!! if i come and try to get into your yard do you think i could have a spot on your verandah? LMAO

It is heaven!!! :)

Sure you can have a spot on the verandah!!! But just so long as you don't bite my rabbits, ok???? :(

Guest Willow

He's baaaaa-aaaack :hug:

Looked up to see a now-familiar face trotting down the driveway towards me......packed him in the car & drove round to where he lives. I wasn't quite sure where the undergroud wire was, and accidentally walked him through it to get to the front door :hug: ....he SCREAMED like he was being murdered, poor baby, yet is still desperate enough to get out that he will cross it.

Have left another message for the owners.....time to have a bit of a word about how this cannot keep happening, and if the method of containing him they have chosen is clearly ineffective, they need to do something about it...ie get some solid fencing up (they are able to , they just want him to stay on the property without an ugly fence :laugh: )

Still, at least he came back here.....I would rather that than him running himself ragged through the bush in 40 degrees, especially with so many fires springing up round here, or worse, making it to the highway & getting killed.

Can't send him to the pound, as one of the out of control bushfires is going through that area at the moment.

Willow - I wouldn't even think about sending the dog to the pound especially if you are hoping to make friends with these people. My best friend is a couple I meet through their escaping dog. This dog is one that does not jump fences but climbs their 6ft steel fence. We have tried everything to keep this dog in. the only thing that worked was my cattle elect fence, but if its not turned on he will get out. But because this dog is a escapee I have meet these lovely people and we have been friends now for about 9 years.

Guest Willow
Willow - I wouldn't even think about sending the dog to the pound especially if you are hoping to make friends with these people. My best friend is a couple I meet through their escaping dog. This dog is one that does not jump fences but climbs their 6ft steel fence. We have tried everything to keep this dog in. the only thing that worked was my cattle elect fence, but if its not turned on he will get out. But because this dog is a escapee I have meet these lovely people and we have been friends now for about 9 years.

I probably typed that badly....I was thinking stuff I didn't manage to type!! :) What I meant was if I had to go out & didn't know what else to do with him.....I have animals everywhere & no spare space that's safe for a stranger....

Our "pound" is the local family-runboarding kennels.....was just thinking of an alternative place to hold him where he would be safe.....it's cool though, he's gone home again now.

just a badly worde dpost I think...will be more careful with how I word stuff next time :confused:

Guest Willow

and again.......

Owner has decided to get someone on to build proper fences after having to come over to our place at 7am in her PJ's to collect her boy. :rofl: Hopefully that should be the end of Tiny's adventures!!!

Guest Willow
and again.......

Owner has decided to get someone on to build proper fences after having to come over to our place at 7am in her PJ's to collect her boy. ;) Hopefully that should be the end of Tiny's adventures!!!

Oh Willow, he just lubs you, that's all :D

i'm trying not to be so lubbable....i don't want to be the reason he is busting out!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

He got out again today....the family have been tying him up, but he somehow got off his chain & ended up back at our house. His owner says they can't afford a fence, so they are going to sterilise & rehome him.

I can't say it's what I would do, but if they can't/won't do what's needed to keep him safe then maybe it's for the best. They aren't in a rush to see him go, they are going to look properly for someone who will be a responsible owner for him.