How Does Your Dog Drink Water?

Tilly

I always assumed all dog lapped up water ... until we got the little brat.

When he drinks he submerges his muzzle/head up to his eyes (or sometime over his eyes) and drinks his water that way. Obviously if the water is not that deep then he will lap up the water but his preference is submerging his head.

Is there any other dogs out there that drinks this way or is my boy just abnormal ...

My male GSP will be 10 later this month and he has always drunk his water this way. He even sends up air bubbles. It looks like he is actually trying to eat the water instead of lapping it. He drinks out of his other water bowls quite normally just at home with the buckets he shoves his whole head into the water.

My old girl who died a year ago also used to do this. The young one has never done it.

Yep my DDB does the same.

She wont drink if its shallow and when she comes up for air, water squirts all over the place. She also keeps a mouthful for spitting across the floor as she walks. :thumbsup:

We were using a bucket but we now use those plastic camping sinks.

bwahahahaha this thread is hiliarious!! My dogs seem to be very polite about drinking water in comparison. Tho they do like to hang onto enough so that they can leave a trail of dribble in your lap as they go by.

I used to have a dog that did this tho - then he'd dig all the water out of the bucket and if it was big enough he'd stick his front legs in and stand there in the water for a while - guess he just loved water. I ended up buying a wading pool for him!!!

LMWS seems to breed water clowns. My girl drinks by lapping no spillage. However our guest Kimba laps it everywhere and drips it all over the place.

Have not given her a bucket because if she is anything like her half brother Odin the feet will go in as well. I think Odin used submerge his head.

I used to walk my Saint and call into the local and have an ale. One hot day Phil the Dill (bar manager)thought he would be nice and get Katman a nice bucket of water. Well there weren't many in the bar but all new how he drank from a bucket :thumbsup: except Phil. Well the shock look of horror when he saw Katman's head o all the way to the bottom was priceless. Yes you guessed it the floor was carpet !! :laugh::eek: All of our shih's now drink from the water bottles no mess that way.

Our ACD does it too - the other very strange thing she does is climb the steps at the side of her water trough drop her front legs and head in the water (head submerged) and then hand stand walk to the end of the trough where she lowers her back end into the water and then pops her head out and starts to play with the water. We couldn't believe it the first time we saw her.

I have two snorklers here. Both my older Vizsla and my GSP will drink with their head in the water up or over their eyes. Interestingly they both like to drink from the running tap, and my other two who drink from a bowl/bucket 'normally' don't. My younger Vizsla is the most delicate drinker and would prefer not to have to touch the water to drink :thumbsup:

A paw in the water is optional

3299280739_06b4b4bf0e.jpg

Benson drinks water exactly like FRHP's pic.....muzzle and paw in the water and he either drinks under the surface or scoops the water up with his nose and catches it with his tongue. Messy bugger he is, and I can't leave water bowls for him inside the house because he gets it everwhere, makes the floor slippery and ruins the laminate flooring if it's not mopped up right away.

And if the water container is big enough (a clamshell pool) he gets both front paws in.

I have to keep my dogs water bowls really full because two of my whippets like to drink with their noses pressed on the lip of the bowl, so that their noses are actually on the outside of the bowl, and they lap that way, obviously they don't want any water up their nostrils. :(

Ahhhh - Thanks I needed a laugh :(

We have multiple types now I think about it - and mine love their ceramic bowls like above they keep the water beautifully cool.

1. Nose on edge of bowl and then laps with tongue - gets most annoyed if he can't reach the water this way and won't drink until you fill it up enough :) - still manages to take about a litre of it across the kitchen floor with him when he's finished despite delicate drinking procedure.

2. Normal drinker - about the only thing this one does normally !!

3. Gulper - and loves to wipe excess on the couch and then gives you a very very innocent look when you sit in it . . .

3. Definately a snorkler - and she wags her tail while she does it. I sometimes give her iceblocks to chase around the bottom of the drinking bowl and she will stand there snorkling and wagging her tail until she catches it - then she sits and waits for another one :cry: - she will also blow bubbles to amuse herself and she thinks that she is pretty funny when she does this as she wags her tail while she does it - tail stops when she comes up for breath - funny girl.

4. Oh my drooler - sticks pretty much his whole head in bites the water inhaling at the same time - weirdo, must think he has to chew it or something.

6. Very feminine delicate drinker and never spills a drop or slops it anywhere - but she won't drink out of a bowl that 'someone' has drooled in - good lord no :mad