Raw Chicken Vs Little Puppy

Azzachazza

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question in regards to feeding a 12 week old puppy raw chicken wings. Has anyone experienced their pup having diarrhea in the days following. Ive experienced this twice and wondered if it was simply coincidence.

Could she be allergic, or could her stomach not be developed enough to handle the raw chicken. I was also thinking this batch of wings could have had a higher level of bacteria/salmonella than usual. Dont think this would be the case, just wondering what everyones opinions were. :rofl:

Thanks,

Aaron

Did you only give her only the chicken wings in replace of her regular food as given by the breeder? I have heard that pups/dogs can have diarrhoea from eating raw bones when not used to them. Not had a problem with my dogs. It usually has the reverse effect with nice hard droppings.

When I was a young girl my mum used to give new pups a wheet bix softened in milk & they used to get diarrhoea, mum used to tell me not to handle the pups too much to prevent this. Of course now-a-days we know all of that is wrong.

In fact back in the late 90's when I 1st heard Ian Billinghurst talk about raw feeding a poodle breeder was there telling us that one of her bitches used to eat raw chicken bones, regurgitate them for the puppies to eat. I would say that that is how dogs used to always feed their young.

Hi all thanks for the replies.

The only thing i changed in her diet was the wings. She may have eaten something in the garden. She like to chew on sticks. We also have an aloe vera plant that she could have chewed a piece off. But she is always supervised when in the yard. So its hard to tell, could have eaten a cockroach.

Its difficult to be sure. Nala never had a problem with raw. Every dog is different i suppose :D

I know what puppies are like, Tilba used to get into all sorts of things & there wasn't much in the yard to start with. Loved sticks, leaves, even had worries when she ate some grapes that my son had given his lorikeet which had fallen through the bottom of the cage. One time even after I had put her to bed in her crate she ate a hole in her bedding. It wasn't until I took her outside for a toilet break that I noticed that there was something wrong. She continually ate grass for about 30 mins then vomited up the remains of the bedding. :D

I think we worry a lot about what goes into their mouths. Thats understandable. I think though in hindsight we realise we didnt need to stress as much...but then when things like diarrhea happen, or bedding gets eaten, we start to worry all over again. The joys of bringing up a pup :D

Edited by Azzachazza

All of mine had Chicken wings/necks from 8 weeks of age, not a problem at all!

I have never fed mine any that were slimy or yucky, always fresh human grade.

We fed RAW here too, just fresh is very important

Bought it from the local butcher and gave it to her straight away. Not my regular butcher though, it looked fresh...

Poor Minnie, poo is a bit firmer i think, but still bit of blood ...

Will make an appointment tomorrow morning if its still the same then. Dont think my vet is opened on sun though :o

The change in food might be too much for her. If she were mine I'd cut out the raw for the time being and see if she improves. Some dogs do well on raw, some don't - the best food for your dog is the one she does well on.

One of my vets told me that Salmonella can kill pups with immature immune systems . . . eg, below 4 mo of age. If this is right, don't feed the pup any meat you wouldn't eat yourself. Be very cautious about 'off' chicken. I think necks are better than wings. More meat and smaller bones. I have heard stories about pups getting wing bones stuck . . . but it depends on the pup, how much it chews, etc.. If the pup tends to swallow whole problems are more likely.

• 3 weeks later...

Our breeder had our pup on raw meat and chicken wings when we first got him and I think I kept him on that for about a week when I noticed that a huge portion of the chicken wing had passed through him whole! Our Vet also advised not to feed him raw chicken for exactly the same reasons that we don't eat it. That was enough for me. He has been on Eukanuba ever since with a fresh bone once/twice a week and some raw veg/fruit scattered around like a treasure hunt on some days to keep him occupied. We also feed him a tin of sardines once a week (not in one hit though). It's hard to monitor what they eat..ours finished up at emergency late one evening because he swallowed one of the kids socks, down it went in one big gulp. Luckily we were there to see him do it. He also took to eating up towels and he regularly eats the bark off the garden and anything that looks like timber.

if it is bright red blood she has scratched the lower half of her intestinal tract or her just inside her anus so feed her a softer diet like boiled chicken and rice to help it heal

if it is darker go to the vet NOW

We've had similar problems with puppies and chicken wings. Stools get loose and sometimes a bit bloody. I figure it's irritating the lining of their intestines. All seem fine with them once mature.

I have had one beagle that has never been able to cope with raw chicken wings even as an adult. He used to vomit when given them as a puppy. When he matured we tried him again several times and every time he passes huge amounts of mucus - actually the stools were incased in it. This guy is fine with raw beef/lamb bones, etc.

• 2 months later...

Funnily enough, I was scanning this forum for a thread about diarrhea, because our 10 wk old mastiff seems to not tolerate raw chicken at all ! At 8 wks we gave him chicken necks and within 2-3 dys he'd developed diarrhea... back to just dry food for 2 weeks then gave him a singular chicken neck on Thursday and Thursday night he had absolute liquid poop. Tiny bit of brightish blood in one 'pool' but thats it; obviously we minimised his feed and only gave his dry food and plenty of water and his poop tonight (24hrs later) is firming up (its soft serve consistency now). Will keep an eye on it and if no improvement tomorrow take the next step (vet)

But we came to the conclusion that it was the chicken neck and I find it reassuring that its not just us and our puppy! He's fine with pigs ears.. We might try lamb or beef bones next I think!

Not to get gross, but what sort of excretion problem are we talking about: porridge consistency, runny around the edges with some solids in the middle, or projectile liquid stuff immediately after eating.

One of the vets I work with simply says "puppies get diahrroea (horrid word that I can't spell). When they're still nursing and relatively fragile you have to worry about it. When they're 8 weeks plus, especially if they aren't scrawny, so long as they're not acting sick (fevor, low energy, droopyness) just pick up the mess, keep an eye out for sicness, and get on with it.

Bought it from the local butcher and gave it to her straight away. Not my regular butcher though, it looked fresh...

Poor Minnie, poo is a bit firmer i think, but still bit of blood ...

Will make an appointment tomorrow morning if its still the same then. Dont think my vet is opened on sun though :)

+1

We see this alot where i work - we use wing and necks to help keep weight on entires as they drop it really fast in the boarding environment and they will often have mucousy poos with a little blood for maybe 2-3 days and then they are fine and in 9 cases out of 10 their stools are better after then they were when they came to us, being a puppy of course i can see it being a little more cautious subject but kepe an eye on it im sure the little one will come good though