Katy Got Her Front Feet Scalded

newfsie

Our hot water system blew on our back verandah, which is Katy's favorite place to be (was). Katy is our five month old newf puppy

She got a very big fright and tried to get back into the house and she scalded her front feet in the hot water on the floor.

It is more of a scalding, but she screamed and was hard to calm down. I put ice and cold water in a dish and sat with her and her front feet in the ice and water. And we used frozen peas in little bags . She cried and whimpered and was a very sad case all together. Annabelle, our adult newf nearly ran into the hot water too, I just managed to stop her. Tessa and her were beside themselves with her crying.

Anyway I put some xylocaine cream and kept the cold packs on for a few hours. And I slept with her changing the packs when required. She seems to have survived the ordeal with minimum damage. She is very sooky with me and she won't go on the back verandah today. But she is sound and i cannot see any bad burns. Hooray for first aid and being there.

Hot water system luckily was not on boil, that would have caused a great deal of damage. It will need to be repaired, there go more $$$$$$'s

oh that is such a shame

but yeah youre lucky you were there

just a note though,....im not sure that you put ice into the water

i know you definitely dont put ice on burns cos it damages the tissue

i think it is cold running water that you need to apply for about half an hour

but someone may correct me

i think even the frozen peas might be too much...dont you have to wrap them?

again im not totally sure but we do have to have our first aid up to date at work so thats what i seem to remember

anyway main thing your newfie is on the mend hopefully and not in pain

oh that is such a shame

but yeah youre lucky you were there

just a note though,....im not sure that you put ice into the water

i know you definitely dont put ice on burns cos it damages the tissue

i think it is cold running water that you need to apply for about half an hour

but someone may correct me

i think even the frozen peas might be too much...dont you have to wrap them?

again im not totally sure but we do have to have our first aid up to date at work so thats what i seem to remember

anyway main thing your newfie is on the mend hopefully and not in pain

No you are correct.....that is why the icecubes were in water in a bowl at first and the peas were wrapped in a facecloth.........

Dogs and hot water systems definately don't mix. Ruff ate the electrical attatchments on ours and the electrician was amazed he is still alive as all the electricals had blown and it was black when he opened it up. It now has a colourbond cover to stop it happening again but I guess you can't stop the water from going everywhere.

Well done on the quick thinking. I'm glad your little baby is OK and I hope she will be happy to go back outside soon.

Poor little one thank goodness you were there to give first aid and stop the adults hurting themselves. Glad to hear it doesn't appear to have caused physical damage hope she is OK and not too traumatised.