Fleming Has Bitten Chunks Out Of Himself....

MadWoofter

... Im thinking he's obviously got an allergic reaction to something. I do have a problem with wandering jew, which I try to keep at bay as much as I can. Fleming loves to hide in the garden, and he has a couple of spots where he lies and I make sure they're clear of the rotten weed.

He's never shown any signs of itching or rash before this, but I noticed yesterday he was scratching & biting. Having only one hind leg, he's often 'wipes' himself down the wall on his missing leg side, but he's been really scraping himelf down the wall on that side. He was not really himself today, and the itch seemed to be getting worse. Early this afternoon I noticed there are a couple of patches where he's chewed himself raw.

I've given him a bath in malaseb, and sprayed the raw spots with an antiseptic/iodine solution. I'm making sure he's near me and stop him from scratching, and he does seem a little bit happier within himself already.

I'll take him to our vet on Monday (when they're open), and will of course take him to the emergency vet tomorrow if he's not feeling any better.

He's had access to the yard stopped completely (apart from toilet breaks), I'll keep up with the antispectic spray on his raw spots, and bath him again tomorrow morning. He's got a double coat, and being black he's feeling the heat as well as the itch. Poor boy. Is there anything else I can do for him in the meantime?

Perhaps try to bathe with cold camomile tea? There is another thread at the mo suggesting Mylanta; you could try that, too...

Do you have any hayfever medications in the house such as Loratidine?

Ask your vet for Cortavance spray - awesome for short term relief of contact allergies! :o

Unfortunately no allergy stuff here (unless it's human grade !!). He seems a lot happier already - he's lying on the floor without scratching and seems a bit more alert which is good. I'll make sure I get some kind of allergy spray from the vet to have on hand. Camomile tea bags are soaking & cooling now.....if the tea bags don't soothe him at least the tea will help me stress less !! Thanks for the advice

Unfortunately no allergy stuff here (unless it's human grade !!). He seems a lot happier already - he's lying on the floor without scratching and seems a bit more alert which is good. I'll make sure I get some kind of allergy spray from the vet to have on hand. Camomile tea bags are soaking & cooling now.....if the tea bags don't soothe him at least the tea will help me stress less !! Thanks for the advice

What human allergy tablets do you have?

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately my antihistos are prescription only so not on the list but I'll keep it on hand (and a low dose in stock)

Amcal brand Loratidine is good, safe and cheap in an "urgent" situation.

Hope the poor guy is feeling better soon.

(And the chamomile tea for hoomans works best when followed by a red wine chaser... :o )

Try Rectinol (or equivilent) on the hot spots. It is antibacterial anti inflammatory and local anaesthetic.

Great for at least a hundred things that it wasn't developed for!!!!!!!

I was going to say hot spot too. Malaseb is exactly the right thing to put on it. My girl is currently recovering from a hot spot and the vet had us clip back all the hair around the spot to help stop the spread, bathe in malaseb (leave on for 5 mins before rinsing off) daily, but we also had to go to neocort :) , which you don't have. Hope he gets better soon, my Leo was miserable with hers :o .

My vet told me it only takes a touch of a sprig of WJ - it's a bloody nuisance. I used to go out every week and search through part of my garden where it grows amongst other plants so it's hard to spot. I had to do this because otherwise my dear foxy boy used to be in terrible discomfort, I think you need to be very vigilant or try and close off access to areas that you can't manage.