Adopted Dog Bit Me

Hi all

Sorry but I need some more feedback on this troublesome boy.

Today I put my newly adopted dalmatian, now named Tango, on his bed with a lead attached to him because he'd just had a slight go at my other dog. I didn't get angry with him and it was done very calmly. I went to move the lead a little so he wouldn't get tangled in it and he snarled, lunged and bit my hand.

I've never had a dog of my own bite me before. And yes he drew blood. Just a little on my finger.

He is otherwise a really friendly and lovable fellow. I havent seen any sign of aggression towards me before in the last couple of days since I got him.

I've put him outside on a tether for a few minutes while both of us calm down. I yelled at him when he bit me - just a reaction but then I was very calm and aloof when I took him outside.

Has anyone come across this behaviour in an adopted pet before?

What did you do about it?

Hi spottychick,

It's upsetting to have that happen. My latest foster dog bit me and drew blood when I tried to pull him off humping my 4 month old pup, and also had one outburst over food. I assume that both these cases were a form of resource guarding (I tried to take him away from sex and food, how bad is that!! :o ). Otherwise he is sweet and affectionate and very submissive (rolls over on his back every time he comes to me). Maybe your boy was guarding his bed?

I've just been regularly letting my boy know that he will be fed once he is waiting patiently, and that it is okay for me to handle his food while he's eating - that I'm not going to snatch it away from him. And the humping bit, well we took care of that in a different way as soon as the vet opened! :laugh:

I'm not a dog psychologist, but think it may have something to do with insecurity? I'm sure Cesar could help (and also plenty of DOLers with more experience, especially since Tango is a large dog)!!

Deb :)

THanks Deb :)

THe tricky thing is there was no warning. He's never even growled at me before.

The no warning does suggest to me that it was some kind of fear reaction but I'm not experienced eith this.

I had another dog who was aggressive towards me when I got him. But he was only 12 months old (not 8 years like this boy) and he mostly lunged and growled - he never actually bit me. I did a lot of work on him to reassure him that he was in a safe place and nothing bad was ever going to happen to him (apart from being put outside which apparently was the end of the world!!!) and kept a lead handy to loop around his neck and put him outside when he got aggro. He was mostly passive tho and in a matter of months the aggression was completely gone.

I think Tango actually has no idea about teeth, biting and people as I've noticed he has accidentally bitten my fingers when I hand feed him something, even when I hold the food inside a closed hand. The other dog was a snatcher too but when he felt your skin under his teeth he'd stop!!!

I tend to agree about the insecurity being the cause.

Sheesh! He is a problem child!! :o

Sheesh! He is a problem child!! :laugh:

He sounds like a typical Dallie who has had no firm boundaries. They tend to guard what is 'theirs'. Dallies don't tend to give a clear warning before having a go. My daughter was nipped on the cheek by one a couple of years ago as she went to close to its owner.

I think insecurity is a dog who has no consistent leadership (generally speaking).

Sorry to hear it hasn't be a smooth transition. I love his new name, fingers crossed he settles in soon. He sounds lucky to have found you :rofl:

t's upsetting to have that happen. My latest foster dog bit me and drew blood when I tried to pull him off humping my 4 month old pup, and also had one outburst over food. I assume that both these cases were a form of resource guarding (I tried to take him away from sex and food, how bad is that!! ). Otherwise he is sweet and affectionate and very submissive (rolls over on his back every time he comes to me). Maybe your boy was guarding his bed?

just thought i'd mention that rolling over isn't necessarily submissive. We have a resource guarder and we were told by a behaviouralist that him rolling over was an attempt to get us to rub his belly( a passive dominant move).

Your dealing with a whole history of unknowns including a heap of learnt behaviours and experiences behind him.

You need to get someone professional to guide you properly. In the meantime I would keep going with what you are doing, but muzzle and leash him when you need to get in his personal space. This will give you confidence when you are closely handling him, the last thing you will want to do is be tentative.

I would guess that by your description you were probably bending over him at the time which would be very intimidating.

Hi gillbear - no actually I was squatting next to the bed sort of at his eye level.

And yes, there are SO MANY unknowns, even tho I have questioned his previous owners extensively a lot of stuff isn't matching what they told me so far.

I have absolutely NO experience with muzzles - better go look that up too LOL

I'm spending so much time researching stuff for this dog!!!!

I have to say he's pretty good at being handled usually. He arrived with some sort of eye problem, lots of gunk in his eye and he keeps rubbing it. I have some vet formulated eye wash that I used to use on my old dog and I've been washing his eye out since he got here and he is absolutely fine with it. I also noticed his claws are well clipped short so he also is clearly fine with having his nails trimmed which says a lot about him.

I've also checked his teeth and ears - just to see if he handles it all and no problems with that either. In fact he moaned and looked all gooshy when I gently wiped his ears with a cloth.

Hi,

Is this the same dog you posted about a few days ago for attacking your other dog??

If so I would be keeping away from other dogs and muzzled around people until you can get help.

Really there is no way to tell if he is doing it because he is nervous, scared or maybe just does it because he wants to and has been able to get away with it before.

To me, dogs like this are more dangerous than others, as you never really know and they are unpredictable.

Come, come Nannas, a little understanding would do you a whole lot of good.

Please consider how difficult it must be for Tango to adjust. Imagine how scared YOU would be in these circumstances.

Before you respond, please remember that

1) Dogs ARE intelligent

2) Dogs think

3) Dogs communicate

3) Dogs have learned the good and the evil ways from the primates they love (ie us)

I think Tango Dog is doing brillianly!

t's upsetting to have that happen. My latest foster dog bit me and drew blood when I tried to pull him off humping my 4 month old pup, and also had one outburst over food. I assume that both these cases were a form of resource guarding (I tried to take him away from sex and food, how bad is that!! ). Otherwise he is sweet and affectionate and very submissive (rolls over on his back every time he comes to me). Maybe your boy was guarding his bed?

just thought i'd mention that rolling over isn't necessarily submissive. We have a resource guarder and we were told by a behaviouralist that him rolling over was an attempt to get us to rub his belly( a passive dominant move).

I heard that too at a recent conference. If he didn't give a warning growl 1st it's probably been beaten, for lack of a better word, out of him. I would find a good positive behaviourist to assess him. Tying up & muzzling can create frustration aggression.

luvdogs- are there any notes from the conference relating to what you've mentioned? Some dogs show less warning than others regardless of input by people.

Spotty- i think you should get Aidan to come and have a look- i'm sure he'd be able to give you a good plan to work to.