Public View On Dog Showers/enthusiasts

Heidii

Nope. :) My work colleagues understand my passion, even if they don't share it and usually ask how I went on the weekends. I helped one of my colleagues buy a lovely boxer pup via here. (:) to Hogz)

My boss is very accommodating with requests for leave for shows.

Most of my non-doggy acquaintances have seen Best in Show and want to know if it's like that. I tell them its worse! :eek:

It's amazing how some people seem to think its "cruel" to have a fit well trained dog and to take it on outings most weekends. :love:: What sorts of activities do their dogs get to do?

Well thanks poodlefan, that’s made me feel worse!! :)

I only have one person who always asks me if I had a show but my boss is accommodating because he knows I’m passionate about it but he has told me he doesn’t agree with it....and says that dogs belong in the backyard, not made to do ‘circus acts’.

Have you pointed out to your boss how boring life in a backyard can be?

Sure have, that was my first response! I said it was cruel keeping a dog in the backyard with no stimulation....I have to say it in the nicest way though which is hard and doesnt get my point across in the way i really want it too

If i were you I'd find some great YouTube clips of dogs having a ball doing agility etc and email them around the office as a "oh look at this cute clip!" type of email. I know I thought crating was cruel until I understood it (now I thank DOG for crates! :) ).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont actively say anything now.

A good move,the lest said the better .If that is there opinion i wouldnt be bending over back wards to change them or even give them more fuel to give there opinion especially as its work..

If they did ask i would be inclined to answer " Im sorry i didnt realize you where interested in the activities my dog does" * leave it at that but in all reality saying nothing allows for peace

Lildogsrule, I too was told i was cruel transporting dogs in crates in the back of the car!!!

I quickly changed their mind about that when I told them my friend had her dog loose in the back of her station wagon when she had an accident...the dog didn’t survive!

It’s purely for THEIR SAFETY!

I am thought of as the crazy dog lady as well. My family can't understand why I pay money for a purebred and eve less why I would want to show. They can understand a little why I would want to do dog sports.

Funny thing is they are the first to sprout he/she ia a champion etc to their friends, or my daughter knows what she is doing she has obedience dogs(nope I can't fix every dog problem for all your friends and neighbours!)

My old bosses were quite good and asked how we went and were very happy for me even though the didn't think much of the showing side, they never said much to me. They always congratulated me on any passes or places. The vets nurses were not so accomodating and took every chance they got to say that everyone should rescue a dog, no-one should by purebreds and dog show were for egotistical maniacs. The took every chance possible to give me a hard time about it.

A few years down the track and all of a sudden obedience training and puppy pre-school are not such bad things. One of them couldn't get her dog back from a run at the beach before it was ready, that was an hour!

My reply to most these days is - This is my idea of fun, spending constructive time with my dogs, they enjoy it, I enjoy it. I don't hurt anyone, my dogs are extremely well cared for, are not left in the backyard for days or weeks on an end. I don't drink, smoke, hurt anyone or cause anyone else any problems, so don't cause me any problems and tell me I am weird or an idiot for what I do.

ETA also remember some people are always right regardless of if they are or not. Don't waste your breathe or energy on those, not worth it.

Heidii, try not to take it personally I look at it as they are the ones losing out, not you. Come and share your new puppy and your achievements with us because we appreciate them.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Lildogsrule, I too was told i was cruel transporting dogs in crates in the back of the car!!!

I quickly changed their mind about that when I told them my friend had her dog loose in the back of her station wagon when she had an accident...the dog didn’t survive!

It’s purely for THEIR SAFETY!

You can also tell them about the driver who was hit by his loose Rottweiler in a prang. He's now a paraplegic. :)

I am thought of as the crazy dog lady as well.

CDL is my nickname with OH and my mates! :) They actually will correspond about me in texts as dog girl - ie "we're running a little late as CDL has found a stray, we'll be there after a quick pound stop". Or "Dog girl is saying mean things to the people looking at puppies in pet stores, I'm scared!". :)

Edited by LilDogsRule

CDL is my nickname with OH and my mates! :) They actually will correspond about me in texts as dog girl - ie "we're running a little late as CDL has found a stray, we'll be there after a quick pound stop". Or "Dog girl is saying mean things to the people looking at puppies in pet stores, I'm scared!". :)

:eek: LOVE IT!

I have never had that reaction to agility .... most people are so disinterested that they don't even have an opinion. I don't think anyone I work with has a dog or has any interest in dogs.

I doubt a dog could compete sucessfully in today's agility if it was not healthy, fit and happy. A dog that is trained using punishment would be very rare these days (in agility) I think and would probably be easy to spot, and would not be as competitive as those that have been reward based trained. They do exist of course, but are in the minority.

I have only been showing (conformation) a short time, and have found that positive training methods haven't really caught on in the show world like they have in dog sports, so I can understand why the public could see showing in a bad light, depending on what they had witnessed and heard. I have seen dogs 'punished' and corrected harshly in the ring and outside the ring, and am amazed that it is allowed :) . I have also seen two dogs 'belted' for annoying their owners/handlers :) . I think showing is more agricultural in attitude than dog sports, and in general , the dogs are seen as more of a commodity. I haven't seen this attitude in agility though :eek:

CDL is my nickname with OH and my mates! :love: They actually will correspond about me in texts as dog girl - ie "we're running a little late as CDL has found a stray, we'll be there after a quick pound stop". Or "Dog girl is saying mean things to the people looking at puppies in pet stores, I'm scared!". :)

:):):)

Go the Crazy Dog Ladies of the world :eek:

Eta: I used to have cats only - just two and only pets. BUT I was still called a Crazy Cat Lady, and my BF reckoned I would become one of those old ladies whose house is filled to the brim with newspapers and cats! I have no idea where this came from, but it shows that what someone views as their interest or passion, others view as wierd and likely to end badly :eek:

Eta2: my spell checker is telling me that wierd is spelled weird. I dont think I can cope with an exception to the 'i before e except after c' rule :eek:

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

CDL is my nickname with OH and my mates! :love: They actually will correspond about me in texts as dog girl - ie "we're running a little late as CDL has found a stray, we'll be there after a quick pound stop". Or "Dog girl is saying mean things to the people looking at puppies in pet stores, I'm scared!". :)

I want it printed on a t-shirt :eek:

When I asked for holidays as my girl was due to whelp .....my boss was most pissy.

She actually said to me 'well what I want to know is why you need holidays because your dogs is having puppies' (imagine this in a horrified and grumpy tone :eek: )

I told her that if I was at work when she whelped I could lose my bitch and or the puppies and I would be off work for the rest of the year on stress leave.

:)

Most people at my work like to ask about the dogs but think I crazy at the time/money I spend with/on them :)

When I asked for holidays as my girl was due to whelp .....my boss was most pissy.

She actually said to me 'well what I want to know is why you need holidays because your dogs is having puppies' (imagine this in a horrified and grumpy tone :eek: )

I told her that if I was at work when she whelped I could lose my bitch and or the puppies and I would be off work for the rest of the year on stress leave.

:)

Most people at my work like to ask about the dogs but think I crazy at the time/money I spend with/on them :)

:eek::love::) :)

Never had anyone react in a negative way when mentioned showing or obedience. Most people are intrigued about showing and show general interest when you explain 'Conformation'.

I don't talk dog to uninterested parties...some people are just weirdos anyway LOL

I am at times bemused by peoples reaction to pet ownership in and of itself. I have friends who think owning 2 cats, a dog and plans to get another dog makes me a crazy hoarder :)

I've had people say "gosh you have animals everywhere!" at the sight of two pets on a couch :)

I am at times bemused by peoples reaction to pet ownership in and of itself. I have friends who think owning 2 cats, a dog and plans to get another dog makes me a crazy hoarder :)

I've had people say "gosh you have animals everywhere!" at the sight of two pets on a couch :)

Geez they don't want to come to my house then!

3 dogs, 2 cats, 6 Guinea Pigs, 2 pet Sheep, 2 horse paddock ornaments and a cow that thinks she a dog! Oh and I have a fish tank in the middle of the table.

I think I am being quite restrained!!!!!!!!

Many people think that I am very odd and cannot understand why I go to the lengths I do with our old Stafford. He has around 5 to 6 tablets a day, polar collars, cool coats (as do the Whips) and I have to be very careful on hots days as he is on fluid tablets, so he has special meals with lectade added and water added to make sure he is getting enough liquid.

Thay cannot fathom why I would spend quite a few hundred dollars a month on his tablets when he is old. My MIL told me he is old and I should put him down rather than keeping him alive for my own benefit. When he is medicated he goes for walks, plays and has a great time. He also has a great appetite. If he was in pain, not eating etc yeh fine he would be euthed. I won't put an animal down just because they are old and starting costing me a bit of money. As long as they have quality I will keep shelling out.

I think people who don't like animals or don't want any are a bit strange!

I want it printed on a t-shirt :eek:

:eek: :D I'm known locally as THAT CRAZY LADY WITH THOSE BIG DOGS !!!!

fifi

haha so true Scarlet

I have one guy here who LOVES dogs and when I told him about getting a new pup to show and I had been having trouble finding one suitable he told me I was being shallow and it should be whats inside the dog that counts!!

...hmm maybe I just work with mean people :)

personally I wouldn't tell him. Also, think about the wording "a dog to show" implies that is the primary reason for getting it (to a no-showing person). Why not just say that you're looking for a dog and am waiting for the right one?

ETA: The Hitler comments really annoys me though, because it is trivialising what a genocidal maniac did. The next time they say that I would reply something along the lines of "are you really comparing me to a man who murdered hundreds of thousands of people because of their race, religion and sexual preferences?

Edited by megan_

Maybe you need to find a new job. :love:

Yes i have the most stoooopist people here!!

The other day I got " guess what i got a new puppy!!!" when i ask what breed "they say, oh she is purebred she is a Labrodoodle, BUT dont worry, i got her cos she is allergy free" :):):eek: ...i wanted to jump out the window and NO i didnt bother repling to his stupidity!