Images Of Dogs "in Drive"

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it depends on what drive, and whether you're looking for pre cursors to drive etc or just drive peak..

I think we've got the whole bag, now.

I think still photos are very unreliable in terms of whether something 'is' anything. I have seen a few terrific photos that look like one thing but having been there when it was taken, what actually happened was completely different!

True, although there are some obviously very driven dogs in some photos on this thread.

I think this clip is a great example of working in prey drive. Control and desperation is clearly evident.

Balabanov training a young dog

Sorry, did someone say there was a dog in that clip? Couldn't see past the biceps :laugh:

Edited by Kelpie-i

I think this clip is a great example of working in prey drive. Control and desperation is clearly evident.

Balabanov training a young dog

Sorry, did someone say there was a dog in that clip? Couldn't see past the biceps :thumbsup:

LOL. I was going to post in that "someone wanted the dog" ?????? :laugh:

Here's my boy....you can DEFINITELY see he is in drive. Without a word of a lie, he ended up doing a full back flip. Very lucky he didn't hurt himself. He now gives me a 'flip' (not a full back flip) when you pretend to throw the frisbee...am trying to put this on cue.

IMG_0729.jpg

I think a good Mal will give supreme drive for training.

This a a Mal puppy I had boarding for 6 weeks, maybe 8..she was amazing. Made me think my dogs were a bit dim but I wouldn't want to live with her, she was like a Kelpie on speed...lol.

7734_103764332969069_100000065095353_104172_4568551_n.jpg

Here's my boy....you can DEFINITELY see he is in drive. Without a word of a lie, he ended up doing a full back flip. Very lucky he didn't hurt himself. He now gives me a 'flip' (not a full back flip) when you pretend to throw the frisbee...am trying to put this on cue.

IMG_0729.jpg

Wow! To have landed back on his feet, you'd wonder if there wasn't cat in him.

That's a great camera shot K-i. I never seem to have my camera at the ready (either just about to grab it or just putting it back in my pouch) when things like that happen.

Thanks Erny and Terranik..only shame is that I didn't keep the camera clicking whilst he flipped. He landed heavily and was a little 'shocked' afterward, but in true kelpie spirit, kept going.

I tried to get more pics but he didn't do the full flip again.

Here's another...all that's missing is his cape! :cry:

IMG_0710.jpg

Edited by Kelpie-i

A guess is all it ever can be, but the beauty of body language is that it's largely universal. PF makes a good point about breed differences, but the essentials are still there, as you can see in each picture or video. The ears are always up and forward, even when they can't physically do up, the eyes are always very focused and you can totally see a correlation between how focused and tight the face is and how fast the dog moves. The tail is generally up, and I fancy you can see how serious/aroused the dog is by how stiff their tail is. And the body, always tensed, but to varying degrees depending on how serious or aroused the dog is.

Not sure about the ears and tail.

When entering the flyball ring abby (the Kelpie that Nik posted a shot of) will be barking, lunging- eyes wide, ears pricked, tail up BUT when I kneel down and line her up her ears go flat to her head tail drops and she pulls her front feet up close to the body. So I agree that the body is always tense however the other areas of body language will change entirely. She is in drive the whole time and would do a run at any time (and has when she has escaped) however she prepares herself for release.

I would actually dissagree that body language for drive is universal.

Bluey, another of my kelpies will sit with ears back when getting ready to do flyball. He is only just 'getting' flyball so I would not say is in full drive yet however will pull on his harness to be let go. He looks no different to any other time he sits, unless you feel how tense his body is to an outsider he often does not look very drivey at all. His ears are back because he is listening to me and he keeps his ears back the entire way he is running away from me.

So I guess what I am saying is that there it is more about the dogs energy rather than their physical position that would indicate when the dog is TID because their body language will be influenced my what is going on around them. ie drive with acutal prey (sheep) looks different to a dog working for a tug at obedience.

ETA- LOVE the shot Kelpie-i!!!!!!!!!! And I know a Kelpie is in drive when I start dreading the vet bills....

Edited by woofenpup

Thanks Erny and Terranik..only shame is that I didn't keep the camera clicking whilst he flipped. He landed heavily and was a little 'shocked' afterward, but in true kelpie spirit, kept going.

I tried to get more pics but he didn't do the full flip again.

Here's another...all that's missing is his cape! :cry:

IMG_0710.jpg

And yet another good shot! That's not Gabe underneath, is it? Doesn't look like Gabe. ???

Looks like he's saying "oh crap .... here comes the flying 'thinks he's a hero' kelpie again :cry:" LOL

Edited by Erny