Rally-o

SA are just backward when it comes to new sports - one of the few states who hasn't jumped on board with the DWD yet either much to my frustration.

My guess is SA just won't take it up like they have failed to take up DWD in reality.

It is a bit of a shame that the club that I am pretty sure were going to organise the Rally-O workshop fell through.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SA are just backward when it comes to new sports - one of the few states who hasn't jumped on board with the DWD yet either much to my frustration.

My guess is SA just won't take it up like they have failed to take up DWD in reality.

It is a bit of a shame that the club that I am pretty sure were going to organise the Rally-O workshop fell through.

I would agree with what Ness said. Getting a sport going over here is HARD work. Even Flyball took ages and ages to get going and is still not oferred by many clubs and doesn't have many comps and I remember being involved with trying to get that going at a club over 10 years ago now.

Herding has and still is a hard slog, but that is of course expected due to breed limitations and stock requirements. Dances with Dogs has only just started a working party when trials have been held for what 2 years now?

I would love to see what Rally is about and would go to a workshop if I was free when it was on.

We're still working on something in SA, so keep an eye out and spread the word so we can get the interest going!

As for a level to stay and compete...Rally allows you to go through the three levels (to excellant) and then begin your goal of RAE (Rally Advanced Excellant) To attain that title, you must compete in Advanced and Excellant trials in the same day, and qualify both times....do that ten times and poof...new title....want more? Do it again another ten times and poof....RAE1....then RAE2 etc....remember that the jump from Advanced to Excellant isn't as huge as Open to Utility in traditional obedience. Some challenging exercises but it should not be considered as scarey!

Just thought I would add this to the thread:

It's a video of me and Ptolomy's girl Lara doing Rally-O in a mock trial scenario. Lara is 14 years old last week and had a blast! :thumbsup: I did something stupid and started to serpentine the spiral.

Another question Angelsun, sign number 8 or 9 was slow pace, the next sign was a right about turn and then a halt-1 steps-2steps-3steps, with no normal pace sign between the slow pace and the finish. I queried this and was told that the halt part ends the slow pace. Can you confirm the rules for me please?

Edited by RallyValley

Queensland is leading the way with Rally O

It's taking off BIG TIME

A Rally O Working Party, under the guidance of Obedience, Tracking, Endurance & Agility Sub Committee has been formed to ensure the high standards required are met when Rally O becomes a "Titled" sport. Workshops will be conducted throughout 2011 to bring all aspects of the sport up to speed in readiness for the sport's recognition by ANKC.

"Google" Queensland State Trials Working Party and go to Articles for Triallers for more detailed info.

There are at least 20 Rally O Ribbon Events planned for 2011 with at least 20 more certain to be added. The Clubs in FNQ are again leading the way with Rally O Ribbon Events planned for Townsville, Tablelands (Atherton), Ingham and Cairns all ready to go. Brisbane Metropolitan Clubs that have confirmed Rally O Ribbon Events for 2011 include Logan (in February 2011), Caboolture, Southside (Double Header), Redcliffe & Redlands with Toowoomba, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay and Maryborough a little further away all rarin' to go.

Prospective Judges will adjudicate these events with other Prospectives Judges in attendance learning the finer points of Judging under the guidance of Rally O Working Party Members. The whole scenario is one big learning curve. Stewards (so important in our comps) will be learning, Club Administrators will be learning the necessary procedures, Course Design and set up will be a feature, teams will learn the high standard our Judges will not only demand but insist upon when competing.

A list is under compilation of Rally O Ribbon Events to be held in Queensland during 2011 and will be published soon as

Watch this space

Appears that Rally over here in New Zealand will have NZKC recognised titles from start of 2011. Unfortunately they won't recognise titles that have been earnt this past year since Rally started, as the north and south islands had 2 slightly different versions of it. My old girl had her RA and I was looking forward to trying Excellent with her, the young one had RN and one Q in Advanced, now we are all heading back into Novice! The main way we lost points in Novice was me and the many stupid things you can do with a lead...poor dogs.

But it looks like clubs that were offering Novice A/B, Advanced A/B and Excellent will now be offering 2 x Novice A/B instead to help people regain their titles more quickly. There were 2 different clubs having Rally 3rd weekend in January so hopefully that will mean 4 x attempts to get that RN title after their registered names. If enough teams get that the next shows can offer Advanced A again as well.

Just thought I would add this to the thread:

It's a video of me and Ptolomy's girl Lara doing Rally-O in a mock trial scenario. Lara is 14 years old last week and had a blast! :angeldevil: I did something stupid and started to serpentine the spiral.

Another question Angelsun, sign number 8 or 9 was slow pace, the next sign was a right about turn and then a halt-1 steps-2steps-3steps, with no normal pace sign between the slow pace and the finish. I queried this and was told that the halt part ends the slow pace. Can you confirm the rules for me please?

No, that's incorrect...all speed changes MUST be followed by "Normal" including "fast forward from sit" unless it is the last station before the finish.

Will there be anymore Rally O workshops in WA next year? Would love to attend.

We're all working on it!

BTW...Tassie is the benchmark in many ways for Rally with interclub matches going now for almost a year, the entire obedience judges being given a full days lecture in rules/design work/practical application (thanks to the TCA!)

They have stuck to the draft rules (based almost entirely on the CKC rule book) and not added additional 'fun' classes or such events as some areas have introduced, as well as continued to use ONLY the CKC signs which has also happened in some areas that the AKC signs are being used which introduces some different stations and can create confusion due to inconsistancy.

North East Victoria is to host a seminar in Myrtleford in February and we're still working on the SA seminar. It's a huge job, and it's great to see the clubs recognizing this sport and its importance as a compliment to traditional obedience.

:angeldevil:

Interesting to note the Proposed Rally O Rules under consideration by ANKC state:-

"18 Fast Pace-Dog and handler must speed up noticeably. This must be followed by a Normal Pace."

"17 Slow Pace-Dog and handler must slow down noticeably. This must be followed by a Normal Pace unless it is the last station on the course."

It would appear that fast Pace through the finish line is not permissible.

Queensland has set up a Rally O Working Party with the brief of implementing Rally O as a recognised sport. This Working Party operates under the guidance of Dogs Queensland's Obedience Sub Committee which is a forward thinking, progressive body.

RALLY OBEDIENCE KNOWN AS “RALLY O”

There is a proposal before the ANKC to introduce Rally O as a recognised sport in Australia. This has generated a large response from both Clubs and Members alike in Queensland. A committee has, therefore, been formed in Queensland to assist in the introduction of Rally O and oversee, among others, the following vital components:-

•The criteria, selection and training of Judges including examinations.

•Seminars for Rally O Judges Training.

•The interpretation of rules and how to adjudicate these rules including the compilation of score sheets.

•Course Design and setting out including how to “nest” Courses for the respective levels.

•Design and use of worksheets for scoring.

•Inform prospective competitors the standard required to qualify and achieve in Rally O.

•Instruct the requirements for exercises in Rally O that are not a part of Obedience Trialling.

The main aim of the Committee is to ensure that uniformity is achieved in all Clubs and that the rules are both adjudicated and interpreted correctly.

1.In order to achieve the desired outcomes it is proposed that Seminars will be held to demonstrate in a “hands on” manner all aspects of Rally O. Seminars may include the design and setting up of courses, instruction on Rally O exercises not in the Obedience Trialling schedules, how to run a Rally O Trial, how to steward a Rally O Trial and the finer points of handling.

2.In order to gain maximum benefit from the work put in, the Committee is looking at co-ordinating a programme of Seminars and Ribbon Events to achieve that maximum benefit. We, therefore seek your considered input as to how this might be best achieved.

3.At present, Ribbon Events may be conducted by Clubs, possibly in conjunction with Obedience Trials, where prizes may be awarded but no official recognition given to any scores achieved. These Ribbon Events will be a vital part of the learning process for Clubs, Competitors and Judges alike and the experience thus gained ensure a smooth transition into Rally O as a recognised sport.

How will Rally O benefit your Club?

•Rally O will be “Stepping Stone” into the Obedience Trial ring and teach handlers the skills required to be successful in both disciplines. Club Members will learn that they CAN compete.

•Rally O will put a safety net under the loss of Members at a premature stage. They will be attracted to Rally O in its less formal format than Obedience Trialling. These newer Members might very well take part in Rally O and even become Club Instructors.

•Rally O will generate an atmosphere of camaraderie amongst Club Members with an exciting new sport in which they can participate. They will help one another, and hence their Club, attain a high degree of competence.

•These Club members may very well take on roles within the Club structure and help in the week by week running of their Club. We all need good helpers don’t we?

This Working Party has conducted 3 hugely successful Seminars/Workshops recently in and around the Brisbane area with attendees from as far away as Cairns, Townsville, Ingham & Mackay.

We have a panel of around 35 Prospective Rally O Judges who will hone their skills during 2011 at Rally O Ribbon Events which Clubs have scheduled to run in conjunction with Obedience Trials.

The Rally O Working Party is following the Proposed Rules for Rally O under consideration by ANKC based on CKC Rules. Only the highest degree of competence will be accepted by this Working Party for the accreditation of Rally O Judges and the quality of work by teams in competition.

As an aside Queensland uses the term Rally O Ribbon Event rather than "Mock Trial." There is nothing "mock" about Rally O nor the standard of workmanship required.

Great to see Tassie involved to a high degree, let's get more States on board soon

Interesting to note the Proposed Rally O Rules under consideration by ANKC state:-

"18 Fast Pace-Dog and handler must speed up noticeably. This must be followed by a Normal Pace."

"17 Slow Pace-Dog and handler must slow down noticeably. This must be followed by a Normal Pace unless it is the last station on the course."

It would appear that fast Pace through the finish line is not permissible.

Fast Forward from Sit is an acceptable last station.

There is nothing "mock" about Rally O nor the standard of workmanship required.

Agreed...as many that come under my pen can attest....this isn't designed to be an easier form of obedience, nor was or is it designed to be the slack 'fun' sport that many places are making it out to be by adding 'fun' stations (or pet tricks in some cases) this has always been intended to work with traditional obedience, enhancing the experience for both the Rally teams and the Obedience teams...it's always important to remember that the name Rally-O stands for Rally OBEDIENCE.

Unfortunately we still will have a number of traditional obedience instructors and judges that can not or will not see the value in another sport such as this. We have a big climb ahead of us to encourage these people to open their eyes and see the possibilities that this sport offers everyone.

Attached for interest are the ANKC draft for Rally rules..with very few exceptions it's the canadian kennel Club rules :laugh:

ANKC_Draft_Rally.txt

I wanted to add for clarification on the speed change as the last station before the finish.....because you NEVER count the Start/Finish as stations, this is why you can do this.

Remember, neither Start, nor Finish is numbered. although you must remember to keep the signs on your right and failing to do this, you can be deducted a maximum of 10 points for handler error, they are not counted as stations. This allows the speed change to sit at the final (numbered) station and thus allow the team to pass the Finish at the speed indicated.

:laugh:

The latest attachment didn't work for me, angelsun :) Not sure if it's me or the attachment!

Can you please remind me what the pass mark is for a trial? Is it 90?

Didnt work for me either RS. The qualifying score is 10 btw ;)

10?! Out of 100? :laugh:

70 :D

Lucky I don't have an important job where peoples lives depend on my typing skills. :):)