Breeders & Microchipping

britt3

I have a quick question for breeders, I think its law that all puppies should be microchipped before sale.....I maybe wrong ....I have noticed that alot of registered breeders still dont microchip there pups why is this? my dogs that I have are registered with there canine bodies & they werent microchipped on purchase...... I didnt get these dogs any cheaper because they werent microchipped either.......Is it optional to the breeder to microchip? or is it by law?

I have a quick question for breeders, I think its law that all puppies should be microchipped before sale.....I maybe wrong ....I have noticed that alot of registered breeders still dont microchip there pups why is this? my dogs that I have are registered with there canine bodies & they werent microchipped on purchase...... I didnt get these dogs any cheaper because they werent microchipped either.......Is it optional to the breeder to microchip? or is it by law?

The laws are different in different States. I see you are in Victoria. Here in Vic it isn't law for registered breeders to microchip. Anyone else who breeds and sells puppies (ie who would come under the umbrella of having to be a domestic animal management business) does have to, but the definitions in the legislation mean that registered (VCA registered) breeders are exempt from that requirement.

A lot still do however :)

The laws are different in different States. I see you are in Victoria. Here in Vic it isn't law for registered breeders to microchip. Anyone else who breeds and sells puppies (ie who would come under the umbrella of having to be a domestic animal management business) does have to, but the definitions in the legislation mean that registered (VCA registered) breeders are exempt from that requirement.

thanks so much for that info just wasnt sure

thanks so much for that info just wasnt sure

Doreef, I belive that the microchip laws in Vic are very poor and it allows an out for registered breeders. Common excuses are that the pup is too small it will hurt etc. An out for avoiding the cost IMO.

I have microchipped all my pups since the legislation was changed in May 2007.

From Dogvic Website

Microchipping Laws from May 2007

DOGS Victoria wish to advise members who are Commercial Breeders that they must microchip all dogs prior to sale. All Victorian veterinarians have been advised by Government that the microchip must comply with Government guidelines. On 1st May 2007, all dogs, which are being registered with a council for the first time, must be microchipped prior to registration and councils will have the power to require compulsory microchipping of dogs housed in their municipality.

So breeders are doing a disservice to their buyers by not microchipping as they have to be done before they are registered with the Council.

I was told by my vet that any registered breeder with over 6 dogs are supposed to microchip all puppies.

I microchipped my litter mainly because i figure if worst came to worst an even if they dont transfer details they will contact me should anything happen to them :thumbsup:

I was told by my vet that any registered breeder with over 6 dogs are supposed to microchip all puppies.

I microchipped my litter mainly because i figure if worst came to worst an even if they dont transfer details they will contact me should anything happen to them :laugh:

Your vet was close FBC, but not quite. It is not if they have 6 dogs, but if they have 10 breeding bitches. And if they run for profit.

This is the section from the Domestic Animal Act:

s12A

The proprietor of a domestic animal business must

not sell, or give away, a dog or cat unless the dog

or cat has been implanted with a prescribed

permanent identification device.

So you then need to look up the definitions section of the Act to find our what constitutes a "domestic animal business", which says:

domestic animal business means—

(a) an animal shelter, Council pound or pet

shop; or

(b) an enterprise that is run for profit which

carries out all or any of the following

activities—

(i) the breeding of dogs or cats,

where—

(A) the enterprise has more than

10 fertile female animals of

either or both species; or

(B) the enterprise has less than

10 fertile female animals but

the owner is not a member of

an applicable organisation;

or

(ii) the rearing, training or boarding of

dogs or cats;

Dogs Victoria is classed as "an applicable organisation" uner (b)(i)(B) above. So, yes, if a registered breeder has 10 breeding bitches (and they run for profit) they do have to microchip (and would also need to be licensed as a domestic animal business with their local council) - but if they have less than that they don't.

Not to say I don't microchip my pups (because I do). But always good to know exactly what the law is. For me, I think the exemption for this is a bit pointless, and can't for the life of me work out why it has been written like that (there are other exemptions I'd much prefer to be in there as a registered breeder :thumbsup: ). But it is there :thumbsup: .

Doreef, I belive that the microchip laws in Vic are very poor and it allows an out for registered breeders. Common excuses are that the pup is too small it will hurt etc. An out for avoiding the cost IMO.

I have microchipped all my pups since the legislation was changed in May 2007.

From Dogvic Website

Microchipping Laws from May 2007

DOGS Victoria wish to advise members who are Commercial Breeders that they must microchip all dogs prior to sale. All Victorian veterinarians have been advised by Government that the microchip must comply with Government guidelines. On 1st May 2007, all dogs, which are being registered with a council for the first time, must be microchipped prior to registration and councils will have the power to require compulsory microchipping of dogs housed in their municipality.

So breeders are doing a disservice to their buyers by not microchipping as they have to be done before they are registered with the Council.

That was the reason I got that my dogs are too small & it hurts them more............ I think all litters should be microchipped, is called responsible breeding IMO.... when I have my fisrt litter in march, I will be getting them microchipped

As others have stated, here in Vic it is not mandatory for "non commercial breeders" to microchip....

I do NOT microchip puppies prior to sale (at 8-9 weeks) , our puppy buyers are advised to have this done when they take their new puppy for it's vet check (which is part

of our sale contract)

I chipped as soon as I was able to when living in Canada because I believed it was the best way to ensure a lost dog got home. I chipped cresteds and manchesters so size wasn't an issue, and never concerned me....since being here, I"ve convinced my other half to chip as part of our litters (shepherds) and even though it isn't mandatory, I feel that we should not have to be legislated before we feel we have to do something.

I will love to see mandatory NATIONWIDE chipping for registered dogs.

I chipped as soon as I was able to when living in Canada because I believed it was the best way to ensure a lost dog got home. I chipped cresteds and manchesters so size wasn't an issue, and never concerned me....since being here, I"ve convinced my other half to chip as part of our litters (shepherds) and even though it isn't mandatory, I feel that we should not have to be legislated before we feel we have to do something.

I will love to see mandatory NATIONWIDE chipping for registered dogs.

Me too on while we are on that topic that the breeder stays as the last contact person. :rofl:

Love to get that part changed.

Guest Doglady0419

All of my dogs are microchipped.....

I have bred 3 litters to date and all are microchipped at 6 weeks for Ophthamology testing.....all dogs must have permanent ID...

None of my dogs have suffered at all whilst having them implanted....dogs have been known to sook with vaccinations. Maybe just sensitive.

Law or not, I microchip all pups and is included in the price of the pup.

We DNA all puppies before they are sold - they must have a microchip or permanent id to have this as a formal record - so it is done - some did bleed a little and the needle looks so big against a baby but I don't think it hurt them anymore than it did getting our older purchased dogs done. Besides then I know that they are chipped and then get the new owners to fill in the paper work with all their details the day they pick up the puppy and then I send it in to the company to transfer details over to their names - they normally get it all back within 2 weeks and I know its all done. People forget to transfer over otherwise - I find this system works well for us.

If I recall, here in Victoria, a dog must be micro chipped prior to council registration. Most breeders (in Vic) don’t microchip before sale because it’s an extra cost and the breeder then has to transfer the chip into the new owners name. Let’s face it, new owners hardly ever transfer in to their names so at the risk of the new owner not doing it, the breeder doesn’t chip the pup. Therefore leaving the full responsibility up the new owners. I suggest to my puppy buyers that they use my name as an emergency contact when chipping.

In SA a pup can be chipped in the new owners name, now how convenient would that be here in Vic??

All very interesting. I'm in NSW and have had all pups micro-chipped, however, my understanding is that it is illegal to microchip under 8 weeks of age. Once I am 100% certain of the sale I have the pup chipped in the new owners name. So far, 3 litters, this has worked fine.

I did have one instance where a pup went prior to having been microchipped and, that time, I got the name of their vet and paid their vet by DD as soon as the pup was chipped.

This is only my 3rd litter and all pups are microchipped when they are vaccinated. I prefer to do them at least I know they are done.

I do the same at 6 weeks and then send of the paperwork for registration to VCA - so far have had the papers back in time to go home with the pups - VCA Reg papers including Microchip numbers.

Microchips registered in my name and transfer papers provided to families to transfer the reg into their own name. If they dont transfer at least there is a chance I will get contacted.

Microchipping is terrific and perhaps the best chance for dogs to be reunited.