What "supercharged" Treats Do You Use To Train With?

Hi there everyone.

Bella is a 14 month old labrador. She's been to puppy and adolescent classes up until she was about 7 months old but nothing since then - just the standard "doing the right thing" stuff around the backyard and getting pats and verbal praise and so on. I didn't really take her walking for exercise until she was about 13 months old (due to advice/precautions re hips) so I have been giving her pieces of Shmacko's on our walks when she does the right thing.

What I want to introduce now is recall on a whistle so that I know she will come back if I take her to a park or the beach or something. I really want something super duper 24 carat gold with platinum plating and all the bells and whistles so that she knows when the whistle goes and she comes running she will get her very own little piece of heaven that will be so much better than the grasshopper or the other dogs bum that she has just found.

Any suggestions?

Liver!! It is like gold to my lot. Dryed or boiled. I use boiled for training, but roasted for just out and about in general, but my lot (apart from my oldest)are pretty food (treat) oriented and they usually know if I pull something out of that hound bag it is going to be tasty so they are not fussed!!

Roast chicken is good also cheese, I used anything really tasty for my lot as youngsters, especailly my oldest cause he wasnt really food driven, so the tastier the better for him. I dont treat much now only occasionally at training and then when we are out and about I still carry treats and use very intermittently!

What I want to introduce now is recall on a whistle so that I know she will come back if I take her to a park or the beach or something. I really want something super duper 24 carat gold with platinum plating and all the bells and whistles so that she knows when the whistle goes and she comes running she will get her very own little piece of heaven that will be so much better than the grasshopper or the other dogs bum that she has just found.

Any suggestions?

Warm roast chicken. :hug:

Oh I forgot to add, my lot are whistle trained but I only use the whistle if I absolutley have to in an emergency for example the other day we were sitting in the middle of the park, dogs off lead and a horse came over the hill, my oldest went strait towards the horse and I jumped up whistled and he came back, so he got a treat. I always make a habit of treating for the whistle. My younger 3 recall is excellent like cant fault it really, but my oldest is a bit of a socialite and thinks he can be friends with anyone and everyone!! So the whistle came in very handy and he responds well to it, so it was mainly for his benifit!!

you have to do a bit of testing with your dog ... have different things and see what the dog prefers

Also with recall you want to have the dog on a long line and I also include massive physical praise and fussing over the dog as well as the treat - the one day you dont have a treat at least you will have yourself!

I use kangaroo sausages, liver, liver bread, tuna bread, cheese, tortellini, that's all I can think of for now :thumbsup: . I've trained my three the whistle recall and even Sophie who isn't a dog that stays close and checks in like the boys is coming back on the whistle.

Amber loves roast chook so might go with that as her special treat. She HATES liver - about the only thing she will turn her nose up at. She gets lots of physical praise and cuddles when she does something 'right' and she loves that as much as anything!

Tiggy - what is liver bread and tuna bread?

Amber loves roast chook so might go with that as her special treat. She HATES liver - about the only thing she will turn her nose up at. She gets lots of physical praise and cuddles when she does something 'right' and she loves that as much as anything!

Tiggy - what is liver bread and tuna bread?

Just put liver or tuna in a food processor, mix with enough flour to make it like a bread dough, I add egg and garlic to, then spread it out on baking paper about 1cm thick and bake in a low oven until cooked :thumbsup: . I used plain flour so it stayed about 1cm thick which was perfect to cut up into training treats.

Generally any kind of cooked or raw meat. The less processed the better. Mine are fed on raw, so they are total snobs when it comes to treats. They'll do regular training for the low value stuff, but for recalls they have to go nuts for it, so good old meat. Leftovers from roasts are favourites.

When Kate was young, and needed help in recognizing me as a source of great stuff, I gently fried small kibble, bacon, a touch of garlic, added cubed cheese afterwards.

Every single dog in the park was grovelling at my feet for some - except Kate, happily trotting off into the sunset.

Thereby proving yet again, that she deserves the title of Kate The Independant.

These days, she is intolerant to all forms of meat, so I use cheese for the ultimate bribe. But I have been known to use raw pumpkin (worked, too).

ChristineX

McDonalds' quarter pounder meat patties!

I inadvertently ended up with a dog who will recall on a whistle. The cat comes when whistled and I do this often and I am assuming the dog observed this as I whistled one day in the park not really thinking and back Boo came...

I've been trying lots of different things to find out what Chestnut think is 'too good to be true'. So far, above liver, above hotdog and above cheese he will do ANYTHING for a lick of some liverwurst. It looks and smells like devon but is a LOT smooshier, so we use it on a wooden spoon and use this for loose leash walking training (he's only 10 weeks old). I think it's funny that my german sausage of a dog loves a german sausage! You can find liverwurst in the smallgoods section of coles, where the ham and frankfurts are :banghead: It's also great because I only need to use a tiny bit to get a lot of training done.

post-31333-1263355555_thumb.jpg