Most Scary Dog Walk Moment So Far

Snout Girl

Sorry to hear about your horrible walk :thumbsup: I hope you're feeling ok now and I hope Sally is feeling better too.

But if it was me the old lady would of ended up in the creek with her stupid dogs as well. Plank of wood or no wood... Stupid woman!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrow, I have two small dogs, miniature schnauzers in fact, and I can tell you that just because they are small and walked in off leash areas, they are NOT allowed to do what they want. They too have to obey me and abide by any laws. It seems many large dog owners have a thing against small dogs. In my lifetime, I have had dogs ranging from a pekingese when I was a child, scotch collie, 2 great danes as single dogs, a standard schnauzer and now two miniature schnauzers, so there has been a vast range is size. I am not one of these owners that won't allow my dogs to socialize and my minis play with all sizes at the park, given the chance without any problems. There are times that owners of larger dogs don't seem to care if their dogs offend like the time a fellow walking a large boxer, allowed his dog to jump on my 12 year old 8kg. mini and said that his dog wouldn't hurt mine. Perhaps not intentionally, but accidentally was a distinct possibility. He got quite abusive when I asked him to pull his dog aside and continue on his walk. He just couldn't get into his head that his dog was perhaps 3 times the weight of mine, and I didn't approach him on my walk, he approached me.

I would also report this woman to the council and be wary of taking the same route as you may run into her again.

What a nasty thing to happen, definantly report it to the cops and council.

From personal experience it seems that small, offlead dogs are allowed to do anything they like but if the larger, onlead, heeling dog reacts by barking louder and deeper, then the big dog is described as "Gee she's aggressive!" I suspect that plankwoman has had difficulty walking her dogs before and has no idea that her dogs are the cause of the problem.

geez, you too? I love the filthy looks from a particular woman, who is all over the footpath running trying to keeping in pace with what her onlead small dog is doing, while it barks and snarls its head off at us and Misha my dog gets a bit jumpy and upset then barks back.

I would have a someone else walk with you but this person should be armed with a video camera. Get everything that this woman does and show it to the police they may take you more seriously then and if anything does happen at least you have a record of it.

Unfortunately, they will not be interested in the fact that the woman is obviously a nutcase.

If she's such a nutcase they may very well know of her already. Not sure what council you are in but I have a friend who is a ranger for one of the outer Melb. north councils and she has a whole list of 'nutbags' in our area known and 'keeping an eye on'- and unfortunately this woman is not alone, there seem to be a whole bunch of 'em. Scary stuff.

I no longer walk my dogs in many places at all. They get a good walk any time we are out doing something agility related, walk around a couple of 'open space' areas in town where I have good visibility of anyone coming way, way in advance, walk around the local reservoir park - onlead and I have never seen anyone flount this regulation there yet or put the dogs in the car and drive 3 hours to a very quiet beach.

I can't walk them around where I live as I am sick and tired of being rushed by other dogs not restrained on their properties. People seem to think that laws don't apply to them out of the city - and the joke was that one of the reasons we moved out of Melb. was to have more space to walk.

I hope your girl gets over her awful experience soon- and you too.

Hi,

Was there anyone else who might have seen??

Or could you go back and ask the other people you passed if they have had trouble with the lady??

To be carrying a plank of wood she obviously has had problems before,,,,maybe the other people who walk there have had problems with her.

Hopefully the police and Council do something, but it's not very often they do/can.

If it is only your word against hers,,,and you can bet she will tell them a different story,,,apart from talking to you both and getting statements (if it even goes that far) there really isn't anything they can do.

If you could talk to the other walkers and see if they have had problems with her,,,then you would atleast have a bit more pull on your side.

I bet if the council/police approach her she will be a sweet little old lady just like grandma,,,who tells a story about your vicious dog.

If you could find any of the other walkers that have had even the slightest problem with her,,that would be willing to talk to council/police (even just about her having dogs offleash) it could certainly help.

What a lot of brave people we have here :thumbsup::laugh: . I know what I'd be doing if I was confronted with a nutcase brandishing a large piece of wood....... :rofl: as fast as I could.

I would be inclined to do what you were thinking about, bertandsally, and door knocking your area and asking people if they know of her and/or where she lives.

It is important, however, that you the whole event in writing and send it to the police, council, and local state member of parliament. Use short sentences and not "stream of consciousness" style.

This may happen to someone else who isn't as fast as you and Sally are and then when the police and council say they knew nothing about this worman . . . ........

Oh and take up Grumpette's offer if only to see her beautiful dogs in the flesh ;)

Edited by Mother Moocher

Go to your local police station and make a formal complaint about being attacked with a weapon.

If she came at you a second time, it was no longer 'self-defense' and you were in serious danger.

Stress that YOU were in psychical danger as well as your dog.

Then call the council ranger and tell them there were two dogs off lead.

I wouldn't have thought you needed an address - I mean people are mugged and they don't have residential addresses for their assailants - but going to the station to file a report will do more than calling (or so I have found).

I wouldn't be worrying about the council - she obviously lives near you - get some help (big and male preferably) and door knock your area until you find her address. Then I would call the police - you were threatened and attacked with a weapon ! How dangerous what would have happened if she hit you in the head and knocked you out - do you think that she would have called an ambulance and got you help - I don't think so. I don't care how old she is - do the police think she can do no damage with a plank of wood - she has no damn right to treat anyone like that - she is dangerous.

I agree with this one. Door knock, find her, report her. Sit outside the front of your house (or even where you saw her) with a big burly male and a camera. Film her and get it to the police!

I'm sorry but I couldn't (and wouldn't) live in fear of that happening again :rofl:

Report her to the local council for off leash dogs. Go into the office and insist that they file a proper complaint, dont bother with the phone.

Same with the police - Formal complaint in person.

And maybe start carrying you own block of wood :laugh:

Go to your local police station and make a formal complaint about being attacked with a weapon.

If she came at you a second time, it was no longer 'self-defense' and you were in serious danger.

Stress that YOU were in psychical danger as well as your dog.

Then call the council ranger and tell them there were two dogs off lead.

I wouldn't have thought you needed an address - I mean people are mugged and they don't have residential addresses for their assailants - but going to the station to file a report will do more than calling (or so I have found).

Yes, yes and yes! :thumbsup:

Definitely a police matter (being threatened with a weapon, doesn't matter if she's elderly) and a council matter (an out of control aggressive dog).

X2 Call the police, you have been threatened with a weapon. Personally I would have drop kicked the mad woman and her dogs into the creek, but that of course would have made it worse (assault)

Thanks Sandra, I did call the police at the time adn they took note of the incident but said without an address it would be difficult to pursue. they said they would send the first avaiable car out to do a bit of a drive around to see if there was anyone matching her description but didnt know when that would be. they were very nice but as i wasnt actually assaulted, i think they had more pressing matters to see to first.

have called local council, the girl was very nice, i gave a description of the woman and the dogs and the place it occurred and the time. she said that council do regular patrols along creek/bike paths that are notorious for off leash dogs. she has put it on record so if anyone else calls, it has already been noted.

i usually do walk with my partner, but he was a bit tired last night so i went alone. it was only 7pm and still light so i thought i would be fine.

OH has convinced me to walk again that way tonight, like many of you have said he belives i need 'to get back in the saddle' so to speak and it will do wonders for sally's confidence as well. he will be accompanying me, of course, with a camera and a very heavy torch 'just in case'.

it was quite a wide area in which i spotted her (from the creek to the 2nd sighting is a bit of a hike) so door knocking may run into the hundreds so it may be diffcilut.

nannas: there was no one around when the incident occured (naturally). we also didnt pass anyone along the creek except a group of teenagers but i'm pretty sure they turned off before they would of passed her. so no witnesses unfortunately. thanks for the suggestions tho :thumbsup:

i admit that i was worried when calling the police that she would make up some story, being older and obviously more frail than i, about me and my 'vicious' dog trying to attack her little darlings. as people have said, it would be my word against hers.

for the record, i have nothign against small dogs, i own a pug myself, i dislike any dog that is off lead in an on lead area that bothers us, whether its a great dane or a chi.

Are you in the Northern suburbs near the Hume Hwy?

If so I have a 9 month old Rotty pup who loves all other dogs, especially his own age, who would love to go for a walk with you and Sally along the creek path. Just let me know.

It is so important for Sally and yourself to go for walks along the creek path again to show the BOTH of you that the majority of the time nothing bad happens. This will improve your confidence and Sally's and ensure that Sally remains calm and unstressed when walking in similar environments. The encounter affected Sally as indicated by her urination.

Hi Grumpette

Thanks so much for your lovely offer. we are in the northern suburbs but a little far from where you are (30-40 mins).

as i said, usually i do have company its just my parnter was tired last nigh. its always the way isnt it, murphys law and all that.

OT would love to see pics of you baby :thumbsup:

Yep, definitely get 'back on the horse', for Sally's sake and yours.

What a wacko! Glad that your OH is going with you next time. There are certainly a lot of brave people on here :laugh: I will admit, I would've legged it!

And let's not turn this thread into yet another Small Dog Owners VS Big Dog Owners debate :thumbsup:

Hi BertandSally,

Thats terrible,that really makes me cranky :rofl: ,i want to come and help find this crazy schitzo old bag,take that plank of wood and shove it where the apples dont grow.There are too many crazy ass people in this world,we need a People Ranger,so when you encounter a nut job,you can call them and they will take them away to a people pound :thumbsup: .

That lady is lucky Bert was not there,pugs will rip crazy people apart :laugh:

I hope you and Sally are feeling better,take a can of spray with you next time,just incase this happens again,i prefer a mix of curry powder and cayane pepper,if not,use undiluted pool chlorine,give her a good dose in the eyes.

Hi BertandSally,

Thats terrible,that really makes me cranky :mad ,i want to come and help find this crazy schitzo old bag,take that plank of wood and shove it where the apples dont grow.There are too many crazy ass people in this world,we need a People Ranger,so when you encounter a nut job,you can call them and they will take them away to a people pound :banghead: .

That lady is lucky Bert was not there,pugs will rip crazy people apart :mad

I hope you and Sally are feeling better,take a can of spray with you next time,just incase this happens again,i prefer a mix of curry powder and cayane pepper,if not,use undiluted pool chlorine,give her a good dose in the eyes.

Now theres a way to end up in a spot of bother. :mad

Hi BertandSally,

Thats terrible,that really makes me cranky :mad ,i want to come and help find this crazy schitzo old bag,take that plank of wood and shove it where the apples dont grow.There are too many crazy ass people in this world,we need a People Ranger,so when you encounter a nut job,you can call them and they will take them away to a people pound :banghead: .

That lady is lucky Bert was not there,pugs will rip crazy people apart :mad

Now theres a way to end up in a spot of bother. :mad

Nothing wrong with a bit of self defense(easier than carrying around a big plank of wood..I would do and try everything and anything to stop someone hurting my dog or myself.You need to be prepared these days.Looneys are everywhere.

OMG I feel so sorry for u to have to go through something like that.....I have only had my first dog ever Dezzy for one week and took him on a council walking track....we were half way around when we were nearing a corner and I noticed Dezzy raise his ears....l sat him down and around the corner flew a runner with their dog loose bolting along side with no lead on....fortunately the dog just kept going but I would hate to think what would have happened had the dog been aggressive at all....in my town in our local paper u usually see a thumbs down to all the people who walk their dogs off lead in on lead areas especially around the lake....I wish people would do what the council asks and maybe incidents of "dog attacks" would be not as much...but then again u have irresponsible dog owners who let their dogs roam the streets.....I have people around the corner who just let their maltese terriers just wander around...they bark at people and dogs walking past and come off the property....also stop cars as they stand in the middle of the road....i think some people just need to wake up to themselves and realise that dogs are family members and not just something to have

I hope u continue to walk where u want...doing the right thing and never have to worry about crazy people again :banghead: