Dogs Playing With Other Dogs

SparkyTansy

Jane the Labby x nutcase is an 'in your face', 'rough as guts' type girl so seems to enjoy playing with dogs bigger than she is. Her best friends include GR, mastiffs and rotti x. They all seem to cope well with her rough play and she can really let loose without them freaking out! Luckily she dosen't have a mean bone in her body but she really missed out on the gene that recognises the "will you go away" message. So big easy-going ratbags are her fav!

Noooooooo mine are the same!!

My Borders LOVE other Borders, they 'speak Border' (can sound like a growl but other Borders recognise it as a greeting), and they have ways of running, jumping and wrestling that only Borders seem to do...

They both play with Nessa, but she doesn't understand Border play and sometimes, they don't appreciate it when she plays 'like a Collie'.

Definitely sounds like Nessa and Bronte need to meet. :eat:

Bronte will play with any dog she can, but likes to chase and run best. She struggles a little with the Staffy types as she finds them a little rough, but holds her own.

Does Bronte 'push' things with her bum??? Nessa likes to push the Borders around backwards??? :rofl: She loves other dogs but her best doggy friend atm is Bilbo Baggins' white Sheppie, Zarah. They are so funny to watch :mad

We will definitely get Bronte and Nessa too meet... I will tell mum to organise something LOL.

My Elkhound loves to play with any dog that is his size or bigger. He completely ignores smaller dogs. I don't think he has a breed preference. Some of the dogs he plays with include staffys, GSDs, labs. He, however, doesn't like group play. If too many dogs get in, he walks away.

My goldy plays with staffies and small dogs.

My whippets love other whippets, although Flynn loves to run with any dog that will chase him, but only bigger ones, no little fellas.

He and my greyhound play a lot together, they are great mates, the girls are a bit too old for all that frivolity.

My three will play with anything happily regardless of size or breed but I have noticed Lestat really enjoys the company of other Labs and Sibes (no idea what that last one is about)

And Mistral and Alchemy will make a bee line for any arctic breed they come across but its even more special when its another Samoyed. They play very differently together then with Lestat. They talk to each other more and go all out, itsd very cute.

Shelties with Shelties -absolutely. Same language, same size, same speed... anything big is a bit daunting...

Have noticed though that Jess likes Border Collies - they both do the same play stuff - the bow, the drop of the shoulders to herd etc.

Other small dogs she loves to say hello to, but there's nothing like seeing 2 shelties playing zoomies...

of course, i could be a bit biased!

post-31607-1263459309_thumb.jpg When my little scruff 'lady' was younger she used to play with bigger dogs, can't figure that one out unless her previous owner had a bigger dog also, but was at a friends one day and she had 2 shelties and lady wouldn't have a bar of them would growl if they came up to play but friends brother was there with his kelpie and lady just loved his dog, and when i used to take her to park she'd seek out a bloke that had a munsterlander and would happily play with this dog but would growl at other dogs, and even now loves the german shephard next door is one strange little dog.

Gypsy will play with any dog that wants to play - she loves chasing, or wrestling, or just lying there biting faces :o, but she'll pick another golden retriever over anything else (well, out of anything else that's been on offer at the same time so far).

ETA: Some of her favourite playmates to date include a kelpie, any golden retriever, a BC x, several Dalmatians and a tiny chi x

Edited by Serket

Spencer (BC x Kelpie) is not big on playing with other dogs. He doesn't like small bouncy type dogs, dogs that get into his space, and he gets intimidated by dogs that are bigger than him. But he did once take an INSTANT liking to a male Toller and followed him around trying to play. I found that strange cos he normally prefers the company of people to other dogs. He also was friends with a Dobermann and Newfoundland when he figured out that they were nice and calm and weren't gonna eat him :o

by GSD likes staffys best, we have a lot of them around here and most of them play really happily together.

The pointer will play with anything that moves, or sometimes even an interestingly shapped rock or log.

The most fun I have seen him have though is with a whippet, they had a wonderful play