and Master Dog Breeders & Associates

ACN 120900656

P.O. Box 31 Ganmain NSW Australia 2702 Ph: (02) 6927-6707

Email: [email protected]

PROMOTING RESPONSIBLE BREEDING, PET OWNERSHIP AND STANDARDS IN CANINE CARE

MEDIA RELEASE

Friday 15th of January 2010

MDBA Response to UK Enquiry into Dog Breeding

The Master Dog Breeders and Associates has welcomed Professor Sir Patrick Bateson's 'Independent Inquiry into Dog Breeding' in the UK, which has recommended that steps be taken to tackle irresponsible breeders and to change the way the public think about buying dogs.

Julie Nelson CEO of the MDBA says "We believe that there is a danger in accepting that the issues facing the welfare of dogs is the same in Australia as it is in its entirety in the U.K. However, the MDBA is happy that the report recognises the need for a 'robustly policed and well respected quality assurance scheme', consisting of breeders that buyers can trust to look after their puppies' health and welfare. "

"The MDBA felt this was needed and we have been setting a precedent in this area for over 6 years. We feel that our system of accepting members and keeping checks on them is doing exactly what this report calls for. In fact the suggested framework for the group set out in the report describes what the MDBA does almost exactly. We are independent and not associated with the Kennel Clubs and our members are rewarded for their focus on health and welfare issues over and above any other, though most of our Breeder members are also members of their state's Canine Associations." She said

"We welcome the principle of an advisory council whose members will work with breeders to advise on decisions about breeding and health. We feel that ALL breeders should be well represented by breeders within any group of this kind to ensure open communication, knowledge sharing, and the variables between breeder groups are taken into consideration to minimise the risks of un intended negative consequences. We need to ensure we move forward in preventing any dog from suffering due to poor breeding practices." Ms Nelson said

"We also very much welcome the acknowledgement that there needs to be evidenced based decisions made and a great need to develop methods and studies to collect data on prevalence and incidence of health and welfare related issues. The MDBA survey on health issues where thousands of every day dog owners, breeders and canine rescue workers have logged their dog's diagnosed health issues is clearly showing that there may be a vast difference between that which has been stated in the media as incidence in Australian bred dogs and those which in fact are. This is most definitely an area which needs to be addressed" she said

"Its also disappointing that the brief for the report was about the health and welfare of pedigreed purebred dogs, and that more focus was not able to be placed on problems, methods and possible solutions to address issues relating to how small casual breeders and large commercial breeders could be held more accountable, better educated and regulated. This is especially important considering that pedigreed purebred breeders in Australia only breed about 3% of the puppies sold each year."

'There are many Breeders who are breeding purebred and cross bred dogs in appalling conditions, with no health checks and little regard for more than making a profit and who will carry on regardless that this report doesn't go anywhere near addressing." She said.

Further information can be obtained from the MDBA website at http://www.mdba.net.au or by phoning (02) 6927-6707.

Ends

Media Contact: Julie Nelson (02) 6927-6707 or email [email protected]

Edited by Steve

Well done Julie,

We need to be very visible in our responses to counteract the high profile the rspca will surf to gain support via their well oiled press machine.

Registered breeders are being demonised atm

I really like your mention of the 3% we are responsible for - would love a campaign here highlighting the puppy farm stats & conditions.

fifi

I'm halfway through the report but I thought it did talk about puppy farms, certainly it did in the bits I read and said the overwhelming majority of respondees were concerned about puppy farming.

I have to admit to being confused by the genetics chapter but so far there have been quite a few mentions of non-pedigree dogs. I like the way too that he refers to purebred as a different category ie dogs that are not from registered breeders.

From what I understood about the genetics chapter too he seemed to be saying that unbridled outcrossing was not a good thing either, though I have to admit I struggled with the language in that and the welfare chapter.

I think it is important though that the MDBA have clearly stated the dog "world" is not the same in the UK and Australia, I have seen many differences in my time here, the most telling being the lack of pedigree dogs v overwhelming number of bitsa and DD.

Edited by Quickasyoucan