Ziva's Thread - They Are Here!

SpikesPuppy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys- nothing much to report yet! I think I took the tiniest signs yesterday and got a bit excited :embarrass:

So we got a few hours sleep last night. However this morning she has had a few, far apart contractions :hug: poor thing looked like she wanted to kill the bedding :) but then it stopped and she settled... then she pooped about 10 minutes ago, ran around wagging her tail and is now back in the whelping box looking a little miserable. But otherwise fine. Ate a little yoghurt off my finger and drank some water.

This is kind of boring :) but I guess boring = textbook = good!!!

(and don't worry, any negative signs or if she looks off, she will be off to the vet!! Not risking anything even if I end up looking like an idiot and the vet says "umm... this is perfectly normal... it's called whelping" :D

Hopefully up to the elbows in placenta and they are arriving quickly

This made me LOL. Hopefully soon....

(and yes there will be updates as the laptop is right beside the box... what's a little birthing fluid gonna hurt?? :p )

Do BT's usually whelp without fuss?

I do wonder about the couple fo contractions and now nothing though?

BTs seem to vary- some need ceaser's and other's are free... Ziva's mum and sister are both free.

Okay, re-read my BT book and it looks like it wasn't contractions after all, there was no pushing down or a 'ripple' along the body? More frantic bed-digging?? It wasn't that long ago... anyway, on hold for the vet now.

The vet laughed at me :hug::) Ziva had another 'digging fit' while I was on the phone and I described exactly what she was doing... still first stage. I asked how much longer can she do this (sporadic digging etc) and he said another 12 hours or so before we should start to worry.

It was the emergency vet as both our normal vets are away :)

Sheesh, the first litter is hard - to panic or not to panic. My first litter was Afghans and I did a panic at about 2am - Vet was not impressed lol. On the phone to the poor guy saying the pup's stuck when out it came followed by 5 more bubs, easy as anything. Will be waiting for all the good news!

ETA - You were typing as I was - it's fun, isn't it?

Edited by pebbles

Sheesh, the first litter is hard - to panic or not to panic. My first litter was Afghans and I did a panic at about 2am - Vet was not impressed lol. On the phone to the poor guy saying the pup's stuck when out it came followed by 5 more bubs, easy as anything. Will be waiting for all the good news!

ETA - You were typing as I was - it's fun, isn't it?

I'm starting to feel a little ill now LOL. And embarrassed. Sigh.

But the vet assured me that first stage could go for upto 36 hours in a first litter without any issues, as long as she's not got any smelly discharge or in obvious distress etc.

It's also hard without either of our regular vets available (great timing, Ziva)

Okay I'm now dosed up on Rescue Remedy and feeling a little better lol.

At the moment Ziva is sitting in her box-cave looking contemplative (if a dog can have such an expression :hug: ), wagging her tail when we speak to her.

She also isn't due until tomorrow so I guess it's possible for her to hold out until then, although I would like to get it over with now thank you!!

:)

I was exactly the same with Pippa's first litter (and I probebly will be with this one too :hug: )

Don't feel embarrassed, better to be safe than sorry

Last time Pippa started frantic nesting at 7am, she didn't start contractions until 5am the next morning.

Will be thinking of you today, tonight and tomorrow morning :)

Good luck!!

:rofl:

I was exactly the same with Pippa's first litter (and I probebly will be with this one too :) )

Don't feel embarrassed, better to be safe than sorry

Last time Pippa started frantic nesting at 7am, she didn't start contractions until 5am the next morning.

Will be thinking of you today, tonight and tomorrow morning :D

Good luck!!

;) Glad to know I'm not alone :p

Yestrerday's nesting wasn't as frantic as this morning, however now she's settled into her box. She ate a little bit of boiled chicken and I gave her a small amount of puppy milk (turns her nose up at the water :hug: ). She is now quiet but still alert when we talk to her etc (ears forward and listening).

I wish there were consistent whelping literature :thumbsup: I have a few main sources of info (books and pdf files), but some of the things vary, especially timeframes etc. Sigh.

If there is nothing happening (she looks quite content in her bed) I guess everything is okay???

I'm also getting sort of restless- a little on edge waiting for something to happen, gives me too much time to worry :laugh: at least if something were happening I could find a solution :)

Anyway... rambling now. Sorry guys :laugh: