Will My Dog Be Ok In A Kennel For A Month

vnv

Unfortunately I am out of all other options an I have to put my dog in a boarding kennel for a month. It is making me sick with worry and stress. I feel so bad for her and like I've majorly let her down.

She did have seperation anxiety but that has settled down now except when the routine changes (I have to go away for work 2 weekends a year and she takes a while to settle down again after) so I am worried this will be a major disruption for her and she will fret the whole time.

I also got her from the pound so I am worried she will stress more and think she is back there.

I've been researching kennels and things relating to leaving your dog in the kennel and have read all sorts of horror stories. A major concern I have is the tendency for weight loss. My girl is already very hard to keep weight on and she is a picky eater at the best of times.

She has been unsettled lately and I am not sure why. Maybe she is picking up on my stress about the situation? She will be in the kennel from the start of Feb until the start of March.

I have found a small kennel (32 or 36 dog capacity) where they are let out to run individually twice a day and get walks etc... kennels are air conditioned too.. she is an inside dog and used to sleeping on my bed with me.

Will she be okay? What can I do to make it easier and less stressful for her? Is leaving your dog in a kennel as bad as it seems?

I feel so horrible. I just want my doggy to be safe and happy all the time and I feel like I am letting her down majorly by having to do this.. but I have no choice.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is good kennel establishment, with good people who care for and understand dogs running it, your dog should be fine. Dogs are tremendously adaptable.

Agreed.

My two were in a kennel for 37 days while we moved from QLD to WA and aside from knots in their fur they were in fantastic health and had obviously been looked after well.

Unless vnv has a friend who works from home or who stays home during the day, I think a small kennel like she described is the best option. The dog will have plenty of care and attention throughout the day. The kennel should also have a daily routine that the dog can settle into.

Honestly, when I worked at a kennel it was always the owners who got the most upset, not the dogs. With nervous dogs I would just spend extra time sitting quietly with them getting to know them and gaining their trust. It never took them long to settle in and relax.

We get dogs in for up to 6 months.

We also board alot of rescue,pound dogs & issue dogs.

Providing the kennel is well aware of her issues,are happy to work with her & have the facilities that you feel best suit her & small she should do very well.

What you can do between now & then is not fuss or over do it because you feel guilty.

Stick to her normal household routine.

If the diet is different in the kennels consider trying it on her now.

make a list of issues that is "normal" for your dog.

Any contacts you may have,vet info .

We get long lists when some dogs come in & they are a great reference because some things that seem abnormal & maybe a vet visit for most dogs isnt for yours.

I recently had to leave one of my dogs in a kennel for a month (the other 2 I felt comfortable enough to leave at home and have someone come and feed and walk them for me). I was VERY worried about her and stressed about it. I left her lots of toy to play with as I feared she would get very bored and I hoped she would chew on them. She is a lunatic dog - very full on and highly energetic but put her in a kennel situation and she totally shuts down, gets into the back corner of the run and lays on the bed.

4 days into my trip I called the kennel to see how she was doing, they went "She is eating and drinking but not playing with anything." That immediately let me know she was ok but not happy.

When I went to get her I opened the pen she jumped up to say hi, I put her lead on and she ran like crazy to get out of there, she drug me to the car SO fast. Less than one week on she is fine, she has not been scarred by the month of at all.

Your dog will adapt :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I am out of all other options an I have to put my dog in a boarding kennel for a month. It is making me sick with worry and stress. I feel so bad for her and like I've majorly let her down.

Have you thought about in-home dog sitting where your dog stays in a home environment with a family. Don't know much about these 2, maybe someone can recommend or otherwise

http://www.houndsathome.com.au/

http://www.dontfretpet.com.au/

We get long lists when some dogs come in & they are a great reference because some things that seem abnormal & maybe a vet visit for most dogs isnt for yours.

Haha the long list sounds like me :thumbsup: The kennel got every bit of detail they could possibly need plus more - right down to what was to be done with her if she happened to pass away while I was gone.

Dogs are extremely strong creatures..they adapt well to changes in environment. I am shocked at my own dog's behaviour when he had to stay in the Quarantine Centre for a month. I had no choice but to fly him in from the tropics to freezing Melbourne. He took a flight, checked into quarantine and then screamd his lungs out when I had to leave after our first visit. I cried and cried when I heard him screaming for his mummy. But the kennel ladies there noted that he ate really well, was happy sitting under his heated lamp and went out for the occasional bark. After a week or so, he adapted. He would see me go off and then run back to his little room to sleep. I gave my dog a little bed with my towel in it.

A month will wheeze by before you know it. My dog sleeps with me too...so I know how you feel. It will be over before you know it..don't worry alright. In boarding kennels the dogs are generally happier and I am very sure they all speak the same language....unlike quarantine centres where all of them had to first fly in and go through the hassle of paperwork :thumbsup: You can always visit and bring yummy treats or get a friend to visit with yummy treats.

After leaving my dogs home alone for a while - i would use this option, but only if i could find someone i trusted to come and feed them!

There are no kennels in this area that I would use, I have seen what goes on behind closed doors at two kennels, and the other one I was not happy with, so if i go away the same time my parents do, I am kinda stuck

Dogs can cope for a long time in kennels, but it is so hard to find one that you trust

I have thought about somewhere like Don't Fret Pet where she stays with a minder at their house but I think I would be even more worried - she was very destructive when I first got her and her seperation anxiety was at it's worst. I don't like the idea of a stranger house-sitting. I did have someone I trusted who was going to house sit for me but that has fallen through at the last minute.

Hopefully she will adapt and settle into the kennel.

I just don't know how I will cope thinking of her alone at night in a strange place instead of curled up at the end of my bed with me :thumbsup:

Maybe leave some other telephone numbers with the kennels (family or close friends) who they can call if needed - preferable someone your dog is very comfortable with. Is there anyone who can go in a take her out for the day or something like that ... maybe on the weekend or something ... day parole :thumbsup:

Edited by Tilly

unfortunately at times we do have to leave our beloved pets in kennels

mine have all coped well, Tilly was less than five months when she had to stay for a few weeks because I had to move towns for work and didn't have anywhere for us to live, she had a great time and still loves going to the kennels

The three of them went to kennels for just over 3 weeks a couple of years ago when i went overseas. I was also concerned about them particularly Flashy who had been rescued from death row only a couple of months before. They were all fine, got terribly spoilt, pleased to see me but not at all traumatised by their stay away. these are dogs who sleep on my bed as well.

and she won't be alone at night, she will have all her new friends in the kennels next door (don't go for a kennel where she will have to share) :) it will be like a big sleep over party for her once she gets to know everyone :thumbsup:

She did have seperation anxiety but that has settled down now except when the routine changes (I have to go away for work 2 weekends a year and she takes a while to settle down again after) so I am worried this will be a major disruption for her and she will fret the whole time.

I also got her from the pound so I am worried she will stress more and think she is back there.

I've been researching kennels and things relating to leaving your dog in the kennel and have read all sorts of horror stories. A major concern I have is the tendency for weight loss. My girl is already very hard to keep weight on and she is a picky eater at the best of times.

She has been unsettled lately and I am not sure why. Maybe she is picking up on my stress about the situation? She will be in the kennel from the start of Feb until the start of March.

I have found a small kennel (32 or 36 dog capacity) where they are let out to run individually twice a day and get walks etc... kennels are air conditioned too.. she is an inside dog and used to sleeping on my bed with me.

Will she be okay? What can I do to make it easier and less stressful for her? Is leaving your dog in a kennel as bad as it seems?

I feel so horrible. I just want my doggy to be safe and happy all the time and I feel like I am letting her down majorly by having to do this.. but I have no choice.

I have worked in kennels and have left my dog or dogs in kennels. While working in kennels it was usually the owners that were the most stressed, once the owners had gone the dogs usually settle in well. Theres a lot for them to see and a well run kennel has a good regular routine. The kennel operators should notice if she is loosing weight etc but dont worry a dog will not starve itself to death. A dog sould be happy to go into kennels and happy to go home. I feel its a big responsibility to put onto friends and have heard of a few horror stories when friends have looked after dogs so I wouldnt do it. At least in kennels the dog is behind secure fences and cannot get run over etc. Do your homework and prehaps leave her at kennels for a couple of trail runs. Maybe get her used to not always sleeping with you and being penned for short periods of time.

I left my girl in kennels for a month over Xmas for two years in a row. She was in the same condition that I left her and we just carried on where we left off. Make sure you leave acontact no etc, if the kennel is any good they will ask you for a number, her normal diet and any concerns you may have etc.

Dont worry she will be fine and so will you :eek:

I had to leave my border collie in a kennel for just over 2 months when I moved from WA to Qld.

He was fine although he did loose a bit of muscle and put on weight. I paid for extra exercise time but I knew he wouldn't get the exercise he got with us.

Otherwise he was fine - just very happy to be back with the family.

Dogs are very adaptable.

Have you thought about in-home dog sitting where your dog stays in a home environment with a family. Don't know much about these 2, maybe someone can recommend or otherwise

http://www.houndsathome.com.au/

http://www.dontfretpet.com.au/

This can be worse for a dog with issues. For example, someone who loves dogs might molly coddle an anxious dog - making the situation much worse. There is also a greater escape risk.

My girl has issues and I feel much better leaving her at a good kennel than leaving her with someone in a home environment. A good kennel may even help her get over some of her anxiety. I noticed my girl was more confident when she came home.

Maybe leave some other telephone numbers with the kennels (family or close friends) who they can call if needed - preferable someone your dog is very comfortable with. Is there anyone who can go in a take her out for the day or something like that ... maybe on the weekend or something ... day parole :eek:

Thsi might make her more anxious - the "joy" of a familiar face and the "stress" of them leaving again.

VNM - I think if it is a decent kennel (run by experienced people) then your dog will be fine. Leaving her there and not fretting will make it easier on both of you.

Thank you for all the replies. I am starting to feel better about it and hoping she might even have fun in the kennel.

Are there any specific questions I should ask at the kennels about their policies and practices?

Are there any specific questions I should ask at the kennels about their policies and practices?

For starters :

• Are dogs 'buddied up' when they are taken out for their exercise run?
  • If so, are they supervised the whole yard-exercise duration?
  • What is their check-out time policy?
  • What food do they feed?
  • How long is their out-door exercise for?

Edited by Erny