Out Of Date Food

PooMother

Depends what the kibble is - what brand, how it's preserved etc, how out of date it is.

I bought some just-out-of-date Eaglepack Holistic Duck at a discount a few months ago. I've got one small baggy full left (I don't feed kibble a lot - just in emergencies, lazy moments, when my raw food regime is falling down a bit etc) which I'm using for training treats and they seem just fine still. I think it was a fantastic buy!! Wish I could do it again as it's expensive feeding this mob with raw or commercial :eek:

I look for mould, funny smells etc to tell me if it's so far out of date it's not usable.

On the other hand I was given some fancy expensive dog food once (not out of date) that went mouldy in just 3 weeks. I can't remember the brand name but it was for large breeds and had really large squarish pieces of kibble that were quite moist.

No, haven't bought any out of date but I did get caught the other week by an out of date bag of kibble (Advance Turkey & Rice). When I opened it, I thought it smelled a bit "different" but since I normally get the Chicken & Rice didn't really worry. By the third day of giving it to my dogs, they were curling their lips at it and didn't want to eat it. Mine normally hoover anything on the ground. Was talking to a friend who asked if I had checked the "use by date??" Ummmm no, so went and had a look on the bag - yep expiry date 12/3/2009 :rofl: 8 months out of date.

Took it back to the place I bought it and swapped for a bag that was fresh. Had to coax the kids to try the new bag when I got home, they still thought I was trying to poison them :(

Personally I wouldnt, not for three months out of date. I would think that would mean the food is around 15 months old and depending on how well it has been stored could make a big difference. My concern would also be that it is a large bag and buy the time you use it all and it has been exposed to air it may deteriorate very quickly.

I am also thinking not a good idea, only because I bought a bag of eagle pack a little while ago and unbeknown to me it was out of date by some months, I realized after a day or two rang the store and asked them about it and they said it should be still fine to feed, so I did and after 3 days my boy got sick so I took it back. It may not have been the cause but I couldn't feed him the rest of it just in case.

Please don't risk it , even the slightest amount of unseen mould can cause illness.

My son's cat ( same for them) was very lethargic and off colour but not ill , he took him the the Vet who couldn't find anything but they luckily discussed food , son went home to check the cat's Ukenuba (sp) dry food and it was rancid and also out of date .

pet shop replaced the bag but under protest.

For me it depends...if i know the product well enough and it's been stored properly i'd feed it to my mob without an issue. I have two bags of RC that i am feeding to my cats that are out of date...bought two for one (worked out cheaper then staff price even ) - but saying that...i know the product...lol.

Many of the 'clear bag/bucket' mixed kibbles that you buy are may be from slightly out of date bags, but are more likely to be from opened/torn bags.

Keep in mind that it is generally a "best by" date, not a "use by" which are quite different.

Fresh - never past its use by.

Kibble - will stay fresh quite a long time past its best by but as with anything, check for freshness and use quickly.

Any store that sells a past best by product at full price should not argue about returning it. If it is clearly marked as such and discounted, then it is fair enough.

Sagws