Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I know!! Damn holidays started to early I'm going stir crazy with nothing to do but wait! I'll probably end up buying crap he doesn't really need laugh.gif

It was pouring down rain today so couldn't finish the puppy proofing in the garden, less I make a giant mud pit!

Just wondering but what is everyone planning on feeding their pups? Obviously starting on what ever the breeder is feeding, but will you/have you switched?

Lisa my boy is on the VAN complete puppy mix with roo and veal mince, he is doing great so far, the breeder had them on this and she has had all her Aussies on this the last year, she can't praise it enough, good intake of needed nutrients and good firm stools.

my boy is currently on 1cup of VAN, 3/4 cup of roo and 1/4 cup of veal mince per day, the veal is a fatty meat so it adds a nice balance for the pup as he grows, straight roo with the van is a little too lean for his age imo, once he gets to about 9-10 months I will probably cut back on the veal and go straight roo with the VAN, as well this he has meaty bones to chew on throughout the week and he has his meal in a sliced open soft veal marrow bone twice a week for a good calcium intake, I also give him half of a dentix at night for teeth care, although probably not required with the amount of bones I feed him

Every other day I swap out one meat meal for VAN mix with yogurt and fresh fruit, just to spice it up a little and give him some extra nutrients.

Edited by JackC

I've heard of VAN being quite good. Unfortunately due to very odd allergies of my own, feeding a raw diet is a no for me unless absolutely necessary (I put up with the rashes for Sam when he was ill).

He will be getting bones etc with gloves on thumbsup1.gif

I'm limited on what suppliers are around here, and I prefer not to rely on ordering from suppliers that tend to run out of stock. But I'll be trying him on ProPlan, if that doesn't suit him I think I'll try Wellness.

I've had great success with both these foods in the past, so we shall see how this goes.

I've heard of VAN being quite good. Unfortunately due to very odd allergies of my own, feeding a raw diet is a no for me unless absolutely necessary (I put up with the rashes for Sam when he was ill).

He will be getting bones etc with gloves on thumbsup1.gif

I'm limited on what suppliers are around here, and I prefer not to rely on ordering from suppliers that tend to run out of stock. But I'll be trying him on ProPlan, if that doesn't suit him I think I'll try Wellness.

I've had great success with both these foods in the past, so we shall see how this goes.

Atticus started on pro plan and I bought a small bag of it to mix with my preferred food. Also a small bag, that way if something occurred I wouldn't have kilos and kilos to find a home for. Daisy didn't do well on pro plan when I trialled that and I swapped her onto advance. She is now on advance active and Atticus gets advance large breed puppy. They both get meat and veg ontop of this and extra things during the week.

I was looking into rc when I came across advance and found out they are owned by the same company and advance is the one made in australia which I liked.

In any dry food check the ingredients and make sure a protein is first listed and I would recommend large breed puppy of any sort for an Aussie as I like them to develop slower and reduce the amount of pressure on joints. Mine is a jumping bean at the moment so he is being kept on the slim and not carrying excess weight.

You can always look at the breeders dogs and how they are doing on the food there and just continue on with it as most of there lines should do well on the same food I would have thought.

One less day to go now Lisa. Do you have a pick up time organised?

I've done that Whippy, I've got mine all sorted, just generally interested in what other people have done. smile.gif

No pick up time organised yet, I will be talking to the breeder later this week.

Did some work on the back yard this morning in the sun. I've started cleaning to keep busy, house is now spotless laugh.gif

You can come for a long drive and clean mine too if you like. Just got in from swimming lessons with my son and he fell over and some how managed to land on his mouth and grazed and split his lip. So much blood but he is now watching tv with an ice pack so that made for an eventful morning here.

Hi Lisa- You had SUN- I think I will move to the Riverina :laugh: We are a balmy 3.7 here, and no sun at all....

You must be getting excited and nervous beyond measure now, it is really going to happen :thumbsup:

Remember:

"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love and loyalty. They depart to teach us about loss... A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big". (Erica Jong)

Nova will expand your heart, enjoy the feeling.

Di

Oh no whippytails! Lips do bleed a lot, hope he is fine though. You wouldn't catch me going swimming in winter though!

Yes Tikira Sun! It's a lovely 14 degrees outside! It was supposed to be horrible and rainy so it was a good surprise :) Currently sitting on my outside setting soaking it up thumbsup1.gif

I don't pity you, Armidale is always cold! Mum said that back in Orange they had a snow warning for today! I wonder if it has happened or not.

Beautiful quote Di, thank you embarrass.gif

He is fine, currently drinking a hot chocolate. Took nearly 45mins to stop bleeding.

The sun is gorgeous but we are very windy here today so its rather cool, maybe around 10 but the wind chill is bringing the temp down. I might head into bunnings on the weekend when I head to show training in Ballarat and check out the composting panels and see if I can use them inside.

We are currently looking at pulling up our carpet and putting down floating floors as it will be more puppy friendly than the carpet.

He is fine, currently drinking a hot chocolate. Took nearly 45mins to stop bleeding.

The sun is gorgeous but we are very windy here today so its rather cool, maybe around 10 but the wind chill is bringing the temp down. I might head into bunnings on the weekend when I head to show training in Ballarat and check out the composting panels and see if I can use them inside.

We are currently looking at pulling up our carpet and putting down floating floors as it will be more puppy friendly than the carpet.

oh where are you doing show training?!? I live in Ballarat :D

Of course this would happen! Right after I buy expensive puppy food and all the puppy stuff a brand new Petstock Warehouse opens up in my town with 2 for 1 super premium dog food and has the food I was looking at getting but couldn't get a supplier. DAMN IT! Ah well if the Proplan doesn't work out I can now go to the other stuff, either way it's all heaps cheaper!

At least I'll be able to get his harness fitted and bought for half price next week!

I was thinking about doing that, but I would feel so guilty embarrass.gif I only bought a small bag to try it out, so not too bad. But seriously, couldn't they of done a letter box drop or something?

Can we see the end results? Also is it hard to put pjs on a dog?