Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Could be worse guys. We have a pretty small wait for dogs. I bought my last pony on the day he was born and then had to wait 6 months until he was weaned!

Oh shit! lol

Thank you Lily,

OH, the girls and I had a serious talk on finances and puppy waiting times (as in having to get the money to get the pup then wait for a pup thing) and we now realise we just can't afford to get a French Bulldog, so we rethought the whole breed thing again and have come up with a new breed of dog, that is easier to get, a 1/4 of the price and that makes it a sooner to get puppy.....we are getting a Pug. There are 9 breeders here in SA alone, and one that is only 30 minutes away :) I got the breeders list from the Pug Club of SA.

So your right Lily, I have to stop over thinking everything I do, not a good idea when you have a bad heart to start with. I'm hoping the pup will help me calm down a bit....like walking, cuddles, play, cuddles, training, cuddles, and showing her off and more cuddles. What do your think? I think a pup is a great calming medication in itself. I'm fine with the TT, its everyone else that gets ticked off when it comes to their turn :rofl: :rofl:

As for the crate, ours will be in the lounge too. I was going to put it in the bedroom, but I was told this wasn't a good idea as the pup gets so used to you being there, that one day when your not, the pup frets :rofl: I too worry if I can hear them or not, but Pugs have a bl**dy loud cry so that shouldn't be a problem :rofl:

Ok I am feeling so much better, thanks again Lily for the vent.... :rofl:

BF

That's great that you've found an alternative you're happy with, Bluefairy! When are you thinking of approaching breeders?

Flynn sounds like a boy of routine! Happy to hear he's settling in. No Kong ideas, I'm afraid. James still isn't keen on his. He'll fish out anything he likes (i.e. dried liver and cheese) and then ignore it. I think I'll freeze it for him next time he's home alone.

Congrats on having Boss home! That's excellent that Lola is having fun with him - hopefully she'll bring his sleeping into line in no time.

James has a bladder of steel! Again, he held it for 5 hours today while I was out. Why he can't do this when we're at home is beyond me, but I'll take any good news :laugh: I was very worried today - I had no idea it was going to be so bloody hot and the garage has little airflow. I think pup gets the aircon left on in the next room from now on.

Niques ~ I have the list, just not all the money yet :laugh: I know of 2 breeders that have litters.....I wish we could approach them now, but I'd hate to make inquiries without being able to put a deposit down. But hopefully in a month maybe two I can approach a few near me. At least with them being so close I can see the pups mum and hopefully dad as well....and they more than likely will be seeing the same vet too, so thats another less worry.

BF

Wuffles we do that for breakfast and dinner but due to my husband and I working during the day we can't separate them at lunch time. At least neither of them is aggressive when it comes to food. We have two automatic feeders so Boss does get to eat some of his lunch but he is going ot have to learn to eat faster or we are going to have to give him more at dinner if it comes to that.

Belgian Blue - good news!

Missin Bastian - is your baby home yet?

KritalJay - yay for Boss being home. Hope the sleeping is sorted out quickly. Sounds like they are going to be great mates. Lola must be such a good girl!

Jules46 - LOL at Flynn's routine - puppies are great time wasters! (not that it's a waste of course)

Blue Fairy - yay for you!! I LOVE pugs! Fantastic that there are breeders near you (you'll be able to do lots of baby visiting!), the wait won't be so long and you are still getting a squooshy, mooshy face to love! Vent away, any time! I'm not sure yet where I'll put the crate - I was thinking the loungeroom but I'm afraid I won't hear the puppy in the night.

Niques - sounds like James is doing great.

Hey everyone

Sorry that I've been a bit scarce on DOL over the last few days.. Been catching up on everything that was put on hold for Badger's first 2 weeks.. :laugh:

Great to hear that the new arrivals are doing so well, KritalJay and Jules 46

Bluefairy.. Lots of exciting times ahead!

Missin Bastian - Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new pup..

Niques.. Badger and James seem to be kindred spirits.. I leave him in the laundry for 4 hours and there is not a wee to be seen but today we had visitors over so I wasn't extra vigilant and he did 2 wees inside the house within 15 minutes of each other! On the up side is that he does all his poos outside now on his own and he's slept through til 6am for 3 nights in a row! :laugh: I stuff his kong with Kong Puppy paste stuff in the little hole, fill up with kibble and then put cream cheese to seal the top..

Edited by JaxD

Niques.. Badger and James seem to be kindred spirits.. I leave him in the laundry for 4 hours and there is not a wee to be seen but today we had visitors over so I wasn't extra vigilant and he did 2 wees inside the house within 15 minutes of each other!

I think you're right! James will do a wee outside and 5 minutes later there'll be another one inside. Unbelievable :cry:

He's really good with his poos, as well. You can always tell when he needs to do a poo as he'll make a little squeak and race to the door :hug: He does his squeak outside as well if he's not happy with the location I've selected.

Well done, Badger, sleeping through the night! I've given up trying to delay my guy's bedtime - he didn't sleep until 10pm last night (aside from an hour nap at 8pm) and was still up at quarter to six. So I'm thinking I'll stop complaining about his falling asleep at 7ish ;)

How's everyone's pups going with learning their name? James won't react at all, no matter how much training I do to have him look at me. Probably doesn't help that I call him Puppy all the time....

How's everyone's pups going with learning their name? James won't react at all, no matter how much training I do to have him look at me. Probably doesn't help that I call him Puppy all the time....

Badger definitely knows his name.. although his breeder knew what we wanted to call him when he was very young so she'd been using his name for a few weeks before he came home.. but whether or not he comes when I call him depends on how he's feeling at that moment.. :cry:

Hiya everyone, sorry for the delay in reply. We're alive and well. My goodness what a weekend! We picked Boss up on Friday night and he and Lola got along like a house of fire. They didn't stop playing until around midnight. Poor Lola looked like she hadn't slept in a week. We're finding that Boss doesn't eat his food as quickly as Lola so that is proving to be a bit of a problem. Also he is a crier at night time. Friday night he woke up around 4 times (every hour from midnight), Saturday night woke up 4 times. From Friday night we worked out a bit of a program. Put Lola to bed at 9:00pm so that she can get a bit of a head start, then 9:30pm Boss has his warm puppy milk and a bit of a play (we have to try and keep him awake) then 10:00pm we put him to bed. We've found that if we do this he sleeps til 4:45am, take them both out for a toilet trip and then back to bed til 6am. Boss is now getting better with his crying (only now doing it for 15 mins before giving up and going to sleep).

It really did make us think just how wonderful of a puppy Lola is, from the very first night she slept from 10pm til 6am without a problem.

The joys of having two puppies

Oh wow Krital, he sounds identical to Joker lol. Joker has settled down now with his sleeping, he doesn't cry at night anymore and if he does it's only for a few minutes. He also wakes around 5 for a toilet break and then sleeps until 6am, hoping this will get longer soon as I miss the extra 30 minutes in the morning, especially since I've started working lol. Just imagine how it must have been for the breeder with the lot of them, wow! lol Glad to hear he's getting on with Lola. :cry:

Are you having any trouble with biting? Joker is such a nippy puppy and we can't seem to get him to stop, it's quite irritating!

Edited by FD26

Thanks for the replies,

Just a thought on not hearing the pups in the lounge...what about a baby monitor? That way you can hear them regardless. Might be worth looking into.

The main reason I want to leave the pup in the lounge is it will be warmer and cooler in there, than in the bedrooms. As I can leave the aircon on all night. The aircon for the bedrooms is too noisy (its very old) so once we are ready to go to bed, it gets switched off.

OK I am off to the hospital, I have been having chest pains all morning and my Nitro spray has not touched it. I'll be back soon.

BF

Hope it's nothing serious, Bluefairy!

What a night. Pup woke up at 4:30am for his toilet break (normally does it an hour later). I had a feeble hope that he'd go right back to sleep after, but he barked for the next hour :thumbsup: I felt terrible for the neighbours. Sleeping is the thing he does well!

FD26 - he's not biting us but poor Lola's face is looking a bit worse for wear. But she's a little stirrer and gives it straight back to him.

His sleep is getting better though he wakes up every morning like clock work at 4:30am for a pee and then again at 6:00am for pee and breakfast. I really do wish that as time goes he will be able to miss the 4:30am pee as it's the killer. Specially having to work. I've also noticed that they're rough housing is settling down a lot which is great and he seems to be picking up on Lola's sleeping habits (now just to get rid of that 4:30am wake up call).

Boss is slowly getting to know his name, just working on it. The breeder used Pup Pup so he responds to that wonderfully. I still reckon that he should have been called Wilber as when he's in his crazy mode he runs around jumping like a little pig (but he's my husbands puppy and he didn't get a choice with naming Lola).

So glad that everyone's puppy is behaving and can't wait to see all the new puppies to come.

Wilbur would have been so cute :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if James' breeder used his name. She knew of it from the get-go, but which of the two black boys was ours wasn't decided (by her - I'd had him picked out in my mind since the second visit :rofl: ) until about a week before he came home. Not to mention that there were 10 pups so I imagine there wasn't a great deal of opportunity for individual name usage.

Thanks for the replies,

Just a thought on not hearing the pups in the lounge...what about a baby monitor? That way you can hear them regardless. Might be worth looking into.

The main reason I want to leave the pup in the lounge is it will be warmer and cooler in there, than in the bedrooms. As I can leave the aircon on all night. The aircon for the bedrooms is too noisy (its very old) so once we are ready to go to bed, it gets switched off.

OK I am off to the hospital, I have been having chest pains all morning and my Nitro spray has not touched it. I'll be back soon.

BF

Hope you are feeling better BF Pugs are lovely dogs.. Hope you get one soon

Guest belgian.blue

Hey fellow puppy peoples!

So I'm going to crate train my new little man [an english pointer] and I need a wire crate.

Male pointers grow to around 60–70 cm in height so I'm thinking I will just get a crate he will grow into. Do they all come with dividers or do you add them in yourself?

Can you please share with me the websites where you bought wire crates from?

Blue Fairy - I hope you're okay. Sounds scary. I hadn't thought of a baby monitor (DH would think I was completely nuts!). I'm on the lookout for a baby gate to block off the laundry so the pup can't get to the cat food and litter tray.

All the new babies sound like they're doing well.

Belgian Blue - I bought my crate off ebay - I think it was ozdirectsell - or something close to that anyway. Great price and super fast delivery. I think a lot of people have been getting them from deals direct. Not sure if the divider is in all of them - it's in mine but that's the second smallest size.

FD26 - he's not biting us but poor Lola's face is looking a bit worse for wear. But she's a little stirrer and gives it straight back to him.

His sleep is getting better though he wakes up every morning like clock work at 4:30am for a pee and then again at 6:00am for pee and breakfast. I really do wish that as time goes he will be able to miss the 4:30am pee as it's the killer. Specially having to work. I've also noticed that they're rough housing is settling down a lot which is great and he seems to be picking up on Lola's sleeping habits (now just to get rid of that 4:30am wake up call).

Boss is slowly getting to know his name, just working on it. The breeder used Pup Pup so he responds to that wonderfully. I still reckon that he should have been called Wilber as when he's in his crazy mode he runs around jumping like a little pig (but he's my husbands puppy and he didn't get a choice with naming Lola).

So glad that everyone's puppy is behaving and can't wait to see all the new puppies to come.

Oh don't they just look like little piggies? haha I love that about staffies. :rofl:

I agree, I can't wait until the early wee break dissapears! I have some good news here though, not a single stir when he went into his crate tonight!! :rofl:

Hi guys,

I lurked in here awhile ago because I was possibly getting a new pup... It wasnt certain and I wasnt going to jinx it, so didnt say anything to anyone.. not even close friends (I must admit - that was hard!!!)

Well now he is home, let me introduce 'Hemi' my gorgeous 12 week old Westie pup

DSC02027.jpg

He had a 5 hour flight from Brissy to perth on Monday, and handled it great!! Considering he was loaded at 1.30pm brisbane time, and we picked him up at 6.10pm perth time (6hrs and 40 mins in his crate), he didnt make a mess once! He is fairly good at night, he gets put to bed about 11pm, and he wakes me up around 4ish am to go out (I guess he still is on brissy time).

He is everything I could ask for and more. after my boy passing suddenly at 18 months old earlier this year, I didnt know what to expect bringing a new puppy home, especially of the same breed, but he has just brought so much joy into our lives, he has mended a very broken heart, although Cruise will never be forgotten and I still miss him, I have a new puppy to bring me joy and help us move forward..I have my dear friends in qld to thank, for making a dream come true!!!