Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Michelle,

There's nothing under Weeping Cherry Tree, only Weeping Fig Tree. But under the Cherry Tree name it says this:

Prunus Genus are a group of approximately 430 deciduous or evergreen, trees or shrubs which include the plums, cherries, peaches, apricots, almonds and laurels.

Common Names are:

Almond Tree

Bitter Almond

Apricot

Bitter Cherry

Black Cherry

Carolina Cherry Laurel

Cherry

Choke Cherry

English Laurel

Laurel-cherry

Peach

Plums

Wild Cherry

It sounds like anything to do with the Cherry is toxic. Maybe look it up online or ask your nursery. I mentioned to my vet that my last pup had been eating the cherries that fell from the tree, and all they said was don't let her eat them....they never mentioned about it being poisonous. Our pup was showing signs of toxicity with vomiting, stress, and continually attempting to urinate. Unfortunately we didn't get this book until later, she was PTS as the vet diagnosed cancer.....but now I wonder 'if' she was being poisoned from the cherry tree could they have saved her???? I'll never know and will always wonder. She was only 11 months old poor thing.

Oops forgot to add, the poisonous parts is the entire plant; especially the seeds and stones. So even a pup chewing on the branches can be lethal.

I recommend getting this book. I had to search for it as most places are out of print.

BF

Edited by Bluefairy

I've discovered the weeping cherry is also called a japanese cherry blossom and appears to be fine. I did however discover that the hydranger needs to be taken out. I'll just put that in the front garden. I'll have to check out any other plants I want to put in the backyard before they go in from now on. Gee if you have to think of everything don't you.

I've discovered the weeping cherry is also called a japanese cherry blossom and appears to be fine. I did however discover that the hydranger needs to be taken out. I'll just put that in the front garden. I'll have to check out any other plants I want to put in the backyard before they go in from now on. Gee if you have to think of everything don't you.

can you not section that area off from the dog?

Michelle ~ I agree, you have to have lots of forethought, eyes in the back of your head, and be able to read animals minds as well as know what the future entails.....with that we should all be fine :laugh:

Fiona ~ Some plants, its the whole thing that is poisonous, so a leaf or flower, berry, seed etc can be blown out of an enclosure, so enclosing it isn't any good, and not worth the risk. With our Cherry Tree (I so wish we could have done something else besides cut it down), it is in the middle of the yard, making enclosing it in impossible. Its a shame, but it was worth the sacrifice.

BF

There is a plant in our place that Oreo loves to bite the branches. We are going to get the panels from bunnings to section it off. I am in a rented place so cannot chop it down. Thanks for the advices. Oreo is now alone at home after having his lunch and went to the toilet. My gf and I are out getting our groceries done. Hope we can go home sooner as I am worried.

Nic

Michelle ~ I agree, you have to have lots of forethought, eyes in the back of your head, and be able to read animals minds as well as know what the future entails.....with that we should all be fine :eek:

Fiona ~ Some plants, its the whole thing that is poisonous, so a leaf or flower, berry, seed etc can be blown out of an enclosure, so enclosing it isn't any good, and not worth the risk. With our Cherry Tree (I so wish we could have done something else besides cut it down), it is in the middle of the yard, making enclosing it in impossible. Its a shame, but it was worth the sacrifice.

BF

Thanks BF I'm know that different parts of a plant or tree can be poisonous to a dog (or cat, human etc) but just as an example if it is just the fruit that is dangerous and it fruits for 2months out of 12 every year and you can keep the dogs away from it then many would prefer to do that than cut down an tree ..... leaves, flowers and seeds are of course more difficult due to being carried by the wind but its not impossible to manage - many people who rent don't have the luxury of being able to cut down tree's or remove multiple plants in the backyard and have to make do with other strategies....and even if you don't rent, being able to section off parts of the yard using garden panels, dog runs, temporary fencing etc may be the option that many people choose over removing trees .....

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been MIA for a while...I was down in Sydney for my sisters wedding.

I was gone for 11 days and WOW Casey has grown up so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI EVERYONE!

I will need to go through some pages to see who has new pups, and who has news about their new pup :bolt:

Sorry this will be quick ladies, family visiting, busy with Lola and Im about to leave to be baptised at the Easter vigil. Lola has settled in well, she sleeps all night til about 5.30am. Shes just gorgeous! Be back in the next few days!

Fiona ~ Yeh I understand about renting. But sometimes too if you ask the landlord if you can move the plant (not a tree obviously) as its poisonous they are more than happy to do that. I had no idea most plants were actually dangerous to animals, so when I see a plant in a nursery I buy it because it looks nice and is the right height I want. I never thought of the dangers. Most landlords would be ok to move a plant if they thought it would harm an animal. As for the enclosing of a tree area, yes it would be a pain but easy enough to always go out and check the ground for stuff blown over in the wind. But there may be one you missed or one that falls when your not looking....Using a penned off area might be better I think when there are more than one tree or plant that can't be moved. Makes it really hard for the renters....I wonder how people and animals managed years ago, before the poisonous books came out :(

MAD ~ Welcome back :)

RCBG ~ Congrats on the Baptism :D

BF

Poomother ~ How exciting. Love puppies :cry:

Here's some pictures of Zoe, she is becoming a real poser for the camera, at least she doesn't run up to it and stick her nose in the lens like my last pup :(

ZoeAlwaysLookingSad.jpg

ZoeDown.jpg

ZoeSit.jpg

This is where Zoe sleeps when I'm still up

ZoeSleepingAsUsual.jpg

And her wondering why I am disturbing her again

LeaveMeAlone.jpg

BF

Poomother ~ How exciting. Love puppies :cry:

Here's some pictures of Zoe, she is becoming a real poser for the camera, at least she doesn't run up to it and stick her nose in the lens like my last pup :(

ZoeAlwaysLookingSad.jpg

ZoeDown.jpg

ZoeSit.jpg

This is where Zoe sleeps when I'm still up

ZoeSleepingAsUsual.jpg

And her wondering why I am disturbing her again

LeaveMeAlone.jpg

BF

LOL its almost like she has opened one eye, raised her eyebrow and gone 'Do you mind!'

BF - Zoe is so cute. Haha she is 1 funny girl.

MAD - BC grows quick yeah? Hope my boy grows up to be lovely as well.

Oreo don't like to sleep near us, he likes sleep near the wall because it's cooler. I reckon he is afraid of heat. My hands are full of bruises from Oreo's constant scratching and biting. He gets excited very quickly so need to train him not to bite when excited.