A Lump Has Suddenly Appeared Under Zero's Skin

~*Shell*~

Hey guys,

Tonight I found a lump on Zero's stomach where his rib cage starts. It's about the size of a golf ball and I know it wasn't there two days ago when I brushed him because I felt his rib cage and noted how much weight he's lost again after winter (we've been trying to lower his weight since he always bulks up over winter). He doesn't seem to be having any pain or discomfort from it - he's completely normal aside from the lump. Of course, I'll be taking him down to the vet first thing in the morning but I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with something like this. I'm really worried about him - the area isn't red, he's not chewing or licking at it and the lump feels soft, squishy and moveable to the touch. It's just come up so fast, I'd like to know what it could possibly be!

Let's hope it's one of those two and easily taken care of. I can't get hold of anyone at the vet until 8am. It's still there this morning, still not seeming to give him any problems and of course, still worrying the hell out of me!

ETA: I couldn't get in to see the vet till 4.30 - I'll be watching him like a hawk today...

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Let's hope it's one of those two and easily taken care of. I can't get hold of anyone at the vet until 8am. It's still there this morning, still not seeming to give him any problems and of course, still worrying the hell out of me!

ETA: I couldn't get in to see the vet till 4.30 - I'll be watching him like a hawk today...

It's going to be a long day for you Shell, hopefully it will be something minor.

Hoping to hear good news this afternoon. :love:

Hey guys,

Tonight I found a lump on Zero's stomach where his rib cage starts. It's about the size of a golf ball and I know it wasn't there two days ago when I brushed him because I felt his rib cage and noted how much weight he's lost again after winter (we've been trying to lower his weight since he always bulks up over winter). He doesn't seem to be having any pain or discomfort from it - he's completely normal aside from the lump. Of course, I'll be taking him down to the vet first thing in the morning but I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with something like this. I'm really worried about him - the area isn't red, he's not chewing or licking at it and the lump feels soft, squishy and moveable to the touch. It's just come up so fast, I'd like to know what it could possibly be!

the red bit is usually good news, from my experience...

could be a cyst or fatty lipoma - but it is best to get a needle aspirate done to be sure. Don't just accept it when the vet says it is 'probably' nothing... The needle aspirate takes a few minutes and confirms it is nothing.

the red bit is usually good news, from my experience...

could be a cyst or fatty lipoma - but it is best to get a needle aspirate done to be sure. Don't just accept it when the vet says it is 'probably' nothing... The needle aspirate takes a few minutes and confirms it is nothing.

Thanks Staffyluv. I'll definitely be getting one done - I've been trying to research what it possibly could be an all I'm coming back with are people saying "i went to the vet and they gave me antibiotics - the lump was gone in 3 days". That won't be me. I just hope I'm booked in to see our regular vet. She knows why I have Zero on the diet he's on and why I don't vaccinate (she supports me in both those things) and doesn't talk to me like I know nothing so I'm sure she'll suggest a needle aspirate first up. There's no way I'm taking a chance with Zero's health.

I'll let you know the outcome Mysticpaw - give your sibes a cuddle from me... and danny too!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

My lab had a similar sounding lump - soft and moveable. The aspirate showed it to be a fatty lipoma. He now has several of these with no complications. Hopefully your boy has something relatively simple. Still a worrying time though. Good luck

My Pointer girl, April, had a lump a few weeks ago. I took her to the Vets on Saturday and then again on Sunday. :(

i was told it might have been a cyst, but more likely hormones.

It didn't hurt her, or cause stress/discomfort. It has since gone away.

I hope Zero gets better!

Agree we found a lump on the back of Ricky's neck a while ago. We took him to the vet and he said it's a cyst.

Looked at me and said, "would you like me to run a test?" I didn't even have to answer :( he did a cytology and was back in minutes confirming it is a cyst.

Just went through similar with Jatz, benign tumour on the lip, did extra tests for mast cell tumours and they were benign as well.

It is a worrying time, when our animals have something wrong, hope it helps to know we are thinking of you. :rofl:

Our rottie had a lump which was suddenly there one day ... it turned out to be an absust (sp?) which we think was caused when a neighbourhood cat got a claw in while he was seeing it off the property.

Hopefully everything is all ok ...

It's a lipoma! Thank dog.

No idea why it came up so fast but the vet said that it's quite common when dogs lose a lot of weight, which Zero has.

He was the naughtiest dog ever at the vet but I don't care - I'm just glad he's okay! I'll have to keep an eye on it but I can easily do that!

Edited by ~*Shell*~

It's a lipoma! Thank dog.

No idea why it came up so fast but the vet said that it's quite common when dogs lose a lot of weight, which Zero has.

He was the naughtiest dog ever at the vet but I don't care - I'm just glad he's okay! I'll have to keep an eye on it but I can easily do that!

Glad everything is okay, :rofl: they worry you sometimes don't they.

Fatty lump is good :rofl:

I have had a few rapidly appearing lumps which I have done an FNA of and sent off to a pathologist. One appeared to be a lipoma, the other appeared to involve spindle cells and was suspected to be either a sarcoma or possibly a fibrous reaction to 'something'. In both cases the lumps disappeared spontaneously and after a discussion with the pathologist we suspect both may have been exaggerated local responses to insect bites. Not saying this is the case in Zero, but I would monitor the lump with close interest to see what happens.