Dog Friendly

spiff

Don't worry - I am trying my heart out to purchase a serious dog kennel/accomodation etc place in QLD

Wil depend on the banks at this point. If anyone has a few spare million they can lend me............................

We will accept BIG dogs, multiple dogs, titre testing and mad crazy dog people

We will discourage children (sorry Chewy- had to pick one market and stick with it)

We will have different off lead areas for different doggies

Floors will be tiled. Beds, couches etc will have covers.

Fridges in rooms will be BIG

I hope to grow all my own fruit, veges, herbs and eggs - so can offer true gourmet, organic, back to nature experience.

Might even try to grow coffee...............

Now where is that lotto ticket..............

There will be big lists sent to people with the receipt for thier deposit so everyone knows the "rules" before they arrive - this allows anyone who doesn't like the rules (eg dogs on lead in public areas) to make thier own choices.

Don't forget to PM me if you have a few spare mill to share........

Tell me when you are a going concern..............One crazy lady with three BIG dogs and a hubby will come and stay.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Of course its my concern, I am a dog owner and I am always looking at pet friendly accom. I just happpen to have children, and in case many hadnt realised, you cant book them in to a kennel or pay someone to look after them. Its not that easy.

And these are guest house rooms chewy - but as the OP said, you can book and pay for extra rooms to cater for the kids. Poor spiff can't totally rebuild the place just to suit you. There are plenty of house holiday rentals where you can go with kids and dogs - I'm just back from one in Paynesville - 3 bedrooms, 2 TVs, and even an Xbox (with games) plus a gigantic backyard! No limit on dogs (as far as I know) and dogs allowed inside.

The OP is catering as best they can for dog owners with the facilities they have!

To me a quiet romantic weekend would be NO ONE at all around, especiallly dogs!!

And there are plenty of places like that too!

I really think it is totally unfair (not to mention unkind) that you have hijacked this thread in the way you have and run the OP off. :eek:

shame chewy shame.

Spiff - if you are still around please do PM me your website.

How ridiculous, go back and read the whole thread, especially where they have catered for children on pull out sofas in the same room as the adults. Not offered to me though, I have to book 4 rooms???? Bit of consistency wouldn't go astray?

How ridiculous, go back and read the whole thread, especially where they have catered for children on pull out sofas in the same room as the adults. Not offered to me though, I have to book 4 rooms???? Bit of consistency wouldn't go astray?

Well it all depends on how many kids and dogs you have chewy. I have read the thread and I understand they can cater for 1 kid on a trundle in room with parents.

Jeesh - if they physically don't have the space what on heck do you expect them to do? :rofl:

Well then, don't go to his establishment - easy.

I really wish Roxy Lady would come into this thread and comment about your extended family in the manner that you did about hers. But then, she's got too much class :rofl: .

Well then, don't go to his establishment - easy.

I really wish Roxy Lady would come into this thread and comment about your extended family in the manner that you did about hers. But then, she's got too much class :) .

:) :) :) :) :) :) Havent you heard of the google? Or a response to the stir of the shitesonhousen?

Nothing to do with Roxy either Megan, a question she asked was answered. Shes most likely a fantastic person and has a great sense of humour.

I have just returned from a 4 week road trip - I did not take the dogs as we were travelling in a ute and it would have been too hot for the dogs on the back and we were going into a LOT of national parks. Even though we did not have the dogs with us I always chose dog friendly accommodation over that that was not, just to give support to these businesses (but gee I hope I didn't take a spot away from someone who was actually travelling with their dogs), and on all the evaluation sheets I showed my support for them being dog friendly.

Even though I have 3 dogs and would be excluded from this place I don't have a problem with that, there has to be a limit somewhere.

What if they upped the limit to 6??? Then the person who has 7 dogs would get sh!tty. You just can't satisfy everyone.

My friend recently came back from staying at a dog friendly B&B that adevertised there was a yard available for you to leave your dog in if you wanted to go out without your dog but the fence was only 1m high. So she said she would have liked a secure place to leave him (not in the house though) so she could have gone out for dinner, and honesty about what you offer, I suppose would be my suggestions.

Good luck with it!!

arm yourself with low expectations lol

ive seen what dogs can do lol in dog friendly places

so no carpet

no mats

forget good furniture

no knickknacks

good mattress protectors...make that the big thick kind that nursing homes use lol

be prepared for torn flyscreens and chewed outdoor mats

you get one dog pee and the scent will be there for a long long time and some dogs will start to pee over the top of that even though the area looks clean...that includes any area that is tiled and grouted...so learn about the best way to totally get rid of the secret scents

insist on seeing vaccinations..i worry about parvo infected dogs infecting the yards grass

provide something to clean up dog mess ...and perhaps a list of instructions if you do have carpet

do not assume that people will not allow their dogs on bed and furniture just cos youve insisted on that rule

ive heard some really rotten stories from dog friendly rental owners...and i know a couple who no longer allow dogs

not our doing but we lost out anyway

good luck

i hope it works out for you and you make some good money

id not skimp on things like fixtures...better to get good quality in the first place..than have to repair and replace...we have been to lots of dodgy places and it is really stressful when things break

I just read some of the posts that were left over the past few days an was please to hear some more logical suggestions I think rastus hit the nail on the head, the most important thing is honesty and thats what we have on our website, it goes into great detail what we offer, so theres no arguments later on. Chewbakker what wonderful little brats you have, don't have to look far to see where they learnt how to throw a good tantrum.

Hi , Thanks to everyone for there input on this thread, we have picked up alot of good tips. Unfortunately some of them we just cant do due room, council guidelines or we're just not comfortable to do it that way. We were quite surprised at the amount of people that owned more than 2 dogs, we personally don't know anyone who owns 3 dog's or more (cept for the towns local crazy lady , she's got 4 of mellowist,nicest dogs I've ever come across, but she's as mad as a hatter) We only have one dog ourselves and no children. I think we will change our advertising from dog friendly to pet friendly as dog friendly I think gives the impression that we cater to people such as many of the people that have responded, I mean some of you are pretty hard-core and good for you thats your life. But we have chosen to cater for couples with clean well behaved pet dog's who want a Quiet break with there pet down at the beach, we can't please everybody so we will concentrate on pleasing these people.. I'm sorry that some of you people are peed off that we're just another place that discriminates against dog owner's, we are just going to do the best we can within the boundrys that have been set and what we are comfortable with and I'm sure that any logical person would understand this. Thank you

Your place sounds perfect for us. Most council regulations state 2 dogs can be owned so I think having more than 2 and applying for permits, etc is abnormal rather than normal.

I am anti-children and we have stayed in numerous caravan parks, bed and breakfasts, cabins, etc with our dogs (they are now 12 years old). I dont care if the place is fenced or unfenced as ours are perfect offlead and dont move more than a few metres.

I like the bathing area (esepcially if near the beach) but as long as they are allowed inside than I dont care about anything else. Personally I dont like dogs on furniture but like everyone else they do get up rarely so something that is dog friendly colours would be good.

Certainly at least let us know what state or city you are in as you sound like our perfect place already.

Well of course you can never cater to everyone, but your place sounds great to me! :dummy:

You mentioned something about changing "dog friendly" to "pet friendly" - will there be other types of pets allowed? Dog friendly sounds better to me! Dog friendly and no children sounds PERFECT :dunce:

Is there any limit on size or breed of the dogs?

Do the rooms each have an ensuite?

Do you have a restaurant / provide food / or are there dog friendly cafes around?

Is there any way of leaving the dog in your care while the humans are off having dinner or doing something less dog-friendly?

I'd love to get away with my man and my Akita to someplace not full of kids, next to an off leash beach! Heaven! :p

Sorry to be monopolizing your thread spiff, but just wanted to check... so this is a guest house? So, then does it mean that the couples staying will at times have their dogs in general areas that everyone frequents? Would I assume correctly that these dogs are allowed inside off leash? and if so, do you then stipulate to all prospective patrons that their dogs must be completely dog friendly? Or are there areas inside that are off bounds for off leash dogs?

And is there a limit on the size of dogs/breeds as there may at times be many dogs roaming inside in general areas?

Just sort of wondering how this all pans out. ta

actually they are private units ,though not fully self contained commonarea is not fenced as yet and may never be, but I'm listening ,as is it is you must have control of your dog at all times

I must admit I am having trouble imagining how a guest house would work as in my mind's eye I see a guest house as supplying a bedroom, and then having common areas. What do you do with your dog/s when you are spending time in the common areas? Perhaps you could paint a word picture spiff?

Things I like for 'dog friendly'

1) dogs allowed inside

2) small fenced area attached for toileting without having to put on-lead.

3) a fully-fenced off-lead area (with balls and toys) that you don't have to share with other dogs if you don't want to (like they do at Best friend Holiday Retreat - one of my dogs, while fine with most dogs, is not so good with SWFs)

4) supply couch covers for those of us with dogs that will get on the furniture :laugh:

5) supply extra towels for doggie use if they get wet (did I read there is a beach nearby?)

6) hydrobath facilities (in case dog finds something stinky to roll in at the beach)

7) getting back to point 3, also like BF Retreat dogs on-lead in common areas so we know they are under control and won't run up to (potentially) unfriendly dog.

8) check that all dogs who ever visit are fully vaccinated and flea-treated.

Just going to help a bit.

A small fenced off area would be handing for some. I have the problem where my Pointers go nuts, and a secured offlead area is a must. :laugh: They also don't do any toilet business on lead. Its so painful!