Dog Friendly

spiff

Hi,My wife and I just opened dog friendly guest house, I think we cater pretty well to the needs of pet owners and there pet's,it is a place mainly for couples through not familys. I am not after free promotion i would just like to hear what you want in a pet friendly place I think we have most things covered, but if I can get one idea to make an improvement I'll be happy,Ive done a bit of search ing through the old posts but haven't found alot so how about tell me and everybody else who is thinking of setting up a similar business what is important to you including the little things, having read many of the posts on this site it sounds like it difficult to get good quality dog friendly accommodation and that what we are trying to do, I think we're on the right track,full this weekend- 3 couples, 5 dogs . Thanks I would appreciate your help.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds great spiff, well done and best of luck with your full weekend.

A suggestion from me would be to ensure each separate family has a secure, sheltered yard to put their dogs into if they wished. I do not mean so the people can go out or away for the entire day, though that type of kenneling would also be a great option (as a pay extra for) but more for if they were inside and wanted the dogs to stay outside and get some fresh air for a while. As much as we all love our dogs and want them to be holidaying with us, sometimes we need a moment's break from them (particularly if we have multiples and they are all very big) :) where we need them to be safe.

For all I know you may already have this.

I know your aim was not for free advertising, but I would love to know some details please. PM me if you prefer.

;)

Edited by dyzney

Good for you, please let us know where you are and what your offering.

Personally I would like somewhere that has a secure environment to run the dogs ie a yard/area that they cant have access to run on a road etc. for last thing at night ,first thing in the morning and in the middle of the night emergencies (cos you never know)In hot weather it would be nice to have a clamshell full of water as well for them.

Our dogs live indoors and have access via a doggie door to a secure large yard - they sleep in their beds or crates in our bedrooms at night - others may be happy with weatherproof warm/cool secure yards for whilst the owners are out - you may like to ask for vaccination certificates or a some form of health check so that guests precious pets have a degree of safety - health wise. There are some nasties out there that I would not be happy to bring home, especially from a holiday I paid for eg parvo and even kennel cough.

Sorry, a couple of other things I just thought of (once again you may already offer this)...

A couple of fully fenced and secure leash free areas with POO bags and bins supplied near the gate.

Oh, and added to the earlier mention of a safe yard, it would be preferable if this was directly outside or surrounding the accommodation.

Hope this helps

Sorry to be monopolizing your thread spiff, but just wanted to check... so this is a guest house? So, then does it mean that the couples staying will at times have their dogs in general areas that everyone frequents? Would I assume correctly that these dogs are allowed inside off leash? and if so, do you then stipulate to all prospective patrons that their dogs must be completely dog friendly? Or are there areas inside that are off bounds for off leash dogs?

And is there a limit on the size of dogs/breeds as there may at times be many dogs roaming inside in general areas?

Just sort of wondering how this all pans out. ta

Thank's we have secured courtyards, I look into the off leash area but we are really close to an offleash beach any way , it gives us something to think about, please keep the ideas coming. Sorry I dont feel real comfortable saying where we are as its not self promotion. dont worry youll find us because eventully we will be what your looking for ;)

Sorry to be monopolizing your thread spiff, but just wanted to check... so this is a guest house? So, then does it mean that the couples staying will at times have their dogs in general areas that everyone frequents? Would I assume correctly that these dogs are allowed inside off leash? and if so, do you then stipulate to all prospective patrons that their dogs must be completely dog friendly? Or are there areas inside that are off bounds for off leash dogs?

And is there a limit on the size of dogs/breeds as there may at times be many dogs roaming inside in general areas?

actually they are private units ,though not fully self contained commonarea is not fenced as yet and may never be, but I'm listening ,as is it is you must have control of your dog at all times

I wouldnt stay anywhere that wouldnt cater for a family. I would love to be able to take my 2 girls, soon to be 3 human and 2 canine away to a pet friendly place. My kids are extremely well behaved and very dog educated.

My dogs would miss my kids too much.

That aside, a day care FOR DOGS facility would be ideal and a Little shop/ reception supplying dog sunscreen, food, toys souvenirs etc would be cool. Even a 'room service' feed option with fresh cooked meals for canines would be great!!!

A holiday to me is a break in routine, and to get away from the crappy home chores.

Few thoughts:

Vaccination Records:

Do you request that up to date vaccination records be sighted?

Insurance Cover:

Does your insurance cover anyone/anything damaged in case of dog fight, eg furniture knocked over, someone bitten trying to break up a fight, any damage to neighbouring properties, livestock.

Check list for guests:

Do you have a check list for people who bring their dogs: eg all waste must be correctly disposed of, all dogs to be on leads when entering and leaving the property, any accidents in the rooms must be immediately attended to and cleaned. There would be a quite a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Congratulations on helping people to holiday with their pets.

actually they are private units ,though not fully self contained commonarea is not fenced as yet and may never be, but I'm listening ,as is it is you must have control of your dog at all times

Self contained units sounds great. and absoutely agree regarding common area.

Excellent.

My husband and I would never holiday with kids, as we do not have any. ;) Our dogs are our kids, so to speak. :)

Few thoughts:

Vaccination Records:

Insurance Cover:

Does your insurance cover anyone/anything damaged in case of dog fight, eg furniture knocked over, someone bitten trying to break up a fight, any damage to neighbouring properties, livestock.

Check list for guests:

Do you have a check list for people who bring their dogs: eg all waste must be correctly disposed of, all dogs to be on leads when entering and leaving the property, any accidents in the rooms must be immediately attended to and cleaned. There would be a quite a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

some people

I must admit I am having trouble imagining how a guest house would work as in my mind's eye I see a guest house as supplying a bedroom, and then having common areas. What do you do with your dog/s when you are spending time in the common areas? Perhaps you could paint a word picture spiff?

Things I like for 'dog friendly'

1) dogs allowed inside

2) small fenced area attached for toileting without having to put on-lead.

3) a fully-fenced off-lead area (with balls and toys) that you don't have to share with other dogs if you don't want to (like they do at Best friend Holiday Retreat - one of my dogs, while fine with most dogs, is not so good with SWFs)

4) supply couch covers for those of us with dogs that will get on the furniture ;)

5) supply extra towels for doggie use if they get wet (did I read there is a beach nearby?)

6) hydrobath facilities (in case dog finds something stinky to roll in at the beach)

7) getting back to point 3, also like BF Retreat dogs on-lead in common areas so we know they are under control and won't run up to (potentially) unfriendly dog.

8) check that all dogs who ever visit are fully vaccinated and flea-treated.

It would be nice to have a list in each unit with has...

- name, phone number & directions to local vet - you never know when things can happen

- location of any off-leash areas

- location of any good local pet supply stores... just in case you break a lead or need extra food.

Personally for me, I would like the entire property fenced (I have a sighthound who I cannot let off lead). For me to be comfortable, all fences would need to be 6ft and have no gaps underneath.

Few thoughts:

Vaccination Records:

Insurance Cover:

Check list for guests:

Yes to all those thing, we do have extensive insurance to cover our property, But once off the property I think it is the owners responsability both legally and morally to any incident outside of the property.

* Dogs allowed inside

* A secure, fenced yard

* A shed or inside area to lock them if you have to go out for a few hours.

* Map and directions to local vet handy.

* Yard suitable for all sized dogs - I have been places where it says secure yard for dogs - but I own a chihuahua, and he fits through gaps or under alot of fencing, so I have to bring my own puppy pen so he has to be confined.

I think it is the owners responsibility to provide everything else, eg. bedding, bowls, toys etc. (I normally have more stuff for the dogs than for me! haha)

Best feature I've seen at a dog friendly beach place was an outside dog wash that had hot and cold water. It made washing off the beach sand a breeze for dogs and people!

The main thing I'd be wanting is the ability to keep my dogs separate from other guests dogs. A dog door to the outside is always great too.

Just curious, because this often makes it difficult for people wanting to board dogs. When you say you require proof of vaccination, do you also take into account titer tests because for a number of reasons some people do this rather than vaccinate their dogs on a regular basis.

I have travelled quite a bit with my dogs and have stayed in a variety of dog friendly places.

Here is my wish list.

Dogs allowed inside with suitable washable floor coverings. I stayed in one with my dogs that had all white carpet. ;)

Covers for furniture so there is not a panic if the dogs do occasionally jump on the furniture.

A small secure fenced grass yard accessable from the door of the unit for quick toilet breaks.

All dogs on lead in common areas.

Dog washing and drying facilities.

Poo bins.

Use of kitchen facilities/fridge to prepare meals for dogs. I don't use commercial food.

Not essential but would be nice to have an off lead fenced running area and kennel facilities where dogs could be minded for a few hours.

Other than that I am happy to take all my own dog stuff, bedding, bowls, food, toys, poo bags, etc.

I prefer no kids as well as I don't have any and prefer a quieter holiday away from other peoples kids.

Best of luck with your B&B. We need more dog friendly ones.