Dog Friendly

spiff

Thanks for all your ideas please keep them coming, we wont be able to please everybody but maybe someone else reading this can cater to the ones that we can't. Our target market is Singles/couples wanting a quiet comfortable place to stay close to the beach for 3/4 nights, we have got foldout beds for kids but I really dont think it would be that comfortable for more than a night.Having said that we had Mum 2 9 year old girls and 2 kelpie crosses for 3 nights and they had a hoot, I reckon the girls shed more hair than the dogs.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all your ideas please keep them coming, we wont be able to please everybody but maybe someone else reading this can cater to the ones that we can't. Our target market is Singles/couples wanting a quiet comfortable place to stay close to the beach for 3/4 nights, we have got foldout beds for kids but I really dont think it would be that comfortable for more than a night.Having said that we had Mum 2 9 year old girls and 2 kelpie crosses for 3 nights and they had a hoot, I reckon the girls shed more hair than the dogs.

:D :D

Sounds fantastic, I would love more places around like this, good job :D

Few thoughts:

Vaccination Records:

Do you request that up to date vaccination records be sighted?

Insurance Cover:

Does your insurance cover anyone/anything damaged in case of dog fight, eg furniture knocked over, someone bitten trying to break up a fight, any damage to neighbouring properties, livestock.

Check list for guests:

Do you have a check list for people who bring their dogs: eg all waste must be correctly disposed of, all dogs to be on leads when entering and leaving the property, any accidents in the rooms must be immediately attended to and cleaned. There would be a quite a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Congratulations on helping people to holiday with their pets.

some people

Chewy, there are already a gazillion pets allowed places which cater to people with children. It's so nice to (finally!) see a few places which exclude kids. If you didn't have kids, I'm sure you would feel like a break somewhere that doesn't welcome them at least some of the time. :D I know I get tired of hearing other people's kids screaming, I get tired of tripping over someone's kid's toys left in hallways, I get tired of dodging prams, and I really get tired of parents whining about their kids' behaviour. But that's just me. :D

ETA - I just read that kids are allowed. So I'm going to sulk over that because it's not kid-free. Therefore we aren't likely to ever visit. Just in case. :rofl:

Edited by lillysmum

Few thoughts:

Vaccination Records:

Do you request that up to date vaccination records be sighted?

Insurance Cover:

Does your insurance cover anyone/anything damaged in case of dog fight, eg furniture knocked over, someone bitten trying to break up a fight, any damage to neighbouring properties, livestock.

Check list for guests:

Do you have a check list for people who bring their dogs: eg all waste must be correctly disposed of, all dogs to be on leads when entering and leaving the property, any accidents in the rooms must be immediately attended to and cleaned. There would be a quite a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Congratulations on helping people to holiday with their pets.

some people

Chewy, there are already a gazillion pets allowed places which cater to people with children. It's so nice to (finally!) see a few places which exclude kids. If you didn't have kids, I'm sure you would feel like a break somewhere that doesn't welcome them at least some of the time. :D I know I get tired of hearing other people's kids screaming, I get tired of tripping over someone's kid's toys left in hallways, I get tired of dodging prams, and I really get tired of parents whining about their kids' behaviour. But that's just me. :D

ETA - I just read that kids are allowed. So I'm going to sulk over that because it's not kid-free. Therefore we aren't likely to ever visit. Just in case. :rofl:

so far we have been only open in the xmas holidays so we have only had people who were desperate for a place to stay, I doubt that any one would really want to share one room with there kids, wouldn't be much of a holiday might as well stay at a youth hostel,but we cant discriminate

We stayed at a pet friendly place and didn't discover the off lead park until our second last day so I would provide info about dog friendly areas & cafes. You may already do this but just in case...

thanks , yes we do

We were looking for somewhere to stay recently and had difficulty finding anywhere suitable.

Many of the options appear to be rental/holiday houses with 7 nights min stay with fancy gardens and furniture. Our young lab still has a lot to learn and letting her loose in someone's garden would not result in a relaxing holiday for us.

I was also concerned about the spread of disease, etc as not one of the places I looked at asked for any proof of vaccination.

Our lab is 90% outdoors so I'm turned off a little by the thought of dogs running around and doing goodness knows what on the furniture, beds, floors, etc (irresponsible pet owners holiday too) and there was no mention of how the places are cleaned. If a rental which allowed pets indoors also advertised a high standard of cleaning and disinfecting I would feel much more comfortable. :rofl:

A pet minding or 'look in' service would be great.

We would bring her bed and bowls but maybe a small supply of things which may be easily forgotten or run out quickly (poo bags)

I like the idea of having a hydrobath or some kind of dog washing facility available.

Info on local 'dog friendly' attractions would also be useful - off leash parks, off leash beaches, vets, pet stores, groomer. :D

Dog treats on the pillow instead of after dinner mints :D

Edited by 16Paws

I might just book in and take ALL 3 kids (3rd when its born) and piss everyone off with their presence.

They dont scream or yell throw many tantrums or leave crap everywhere. They are a lot more pleasant than half the dogs that would be staying, with their spoilt inappropriate and over the top behaviour that seems to be everywhere at the moment.

People bitch about unruly kids, maybe they should consider that their dogs would be a hell of a lot more annoying in a shared setting. Oh, and dont target the kids for their behaviour, its a reflection of parenting, just like a bad mannered dog- often spoilt and lacking in training and discipline from their owners.

BTW, what are the human facilities, that usually is the most important?

I might just book in and take ALL 3 kids (3rd when its born) and piss everyone off with their presence.

They dont scream or yell throw many tantrums or leave crap everywhere. They are a lot more pleasant than half the dogs that would be staying, with their spoilt inappropriate and over the top behaviour that seems to be everywhere at the moment.

People bitch about unruly kids, maybe they should consider that their dogs would be a hell of a lot more annoying in a shared setting. Oh, and dont target the kids for their behaviour, its a reflection of parenting, just like a bad mannered dog- often spoilt and lacking in training and discipline from their owners.

BTW, what are the human facilities, that usually is the most important?

I'm sorry if I've offended, as agree with you entirely , but due to some council restrictions our property is just not set up for family's,in our situation dogs are easier and we love them,but kid's are ok too

Great idea. I've stayed at a dog friendly shared house, as well as private cabins, and the usual motels etc.

With the shared house it was really great - everyone was respectful of each others space (and their animals)

The owners also had pigs, goat, chickens, llamas etc. It was fun!

Poodlefan suggested a tap with hot and cold water - good idea, it would benefit you as sand wouldn't get everywhere, or dirty feet in general (dogs and humans!)

I think hygeine is a big one for me. I can't stand the smell of old dog urine in carpets - let alone bedding! I'd try and ask everyone to sleep their dogs elsewhere.

I find it a bit gross at the thought of sleeping on a bed where multiple people and dogs have previously been, and it also reduces chances of 'accidents'.

I think if you can pull this off, your going to have a lot of happy customers. Best of luck!

I must admit I am having trouble imagining how a guest house would work as in my mind's eye I see a guest house as supplying a bedroom, and then having common areas. What do you do with your dog/s when you are spending time in the common areas? Perhaps you could paint a word picture spiff?

Things I like for 'dog friendly'

1) dogs allowed inside

2) small fenced area attached for toileting without having to put on-lead.

3) a fully-fenced off-lead area (with balls and toys) that you don't have to share with other dogs if you don't want to (like they do at Best friend Holiday Retreat - one of my dogs, while fine with most dogs, is not so good with SWFs)

4) supply couch covers for those of us with dogs that will get on the furniture :D

5) supply extra towels for doggie use if they get wet (did I read there is a beach nearby?)

6) hydrobath facilities (in case dog finds something stinky to roll in at the beach)

7) getting back to point 3, also like BF Retreat dogs on-lead in common areas so we know they are under control and won't run up to (potentially) unfriendly dog.

8) check that all dogs who ever visit are fully vaccinated and flea-treated.

:D All of the above for me too, If we go away we take the dogs if they cant come, we dont go!! Do you have a dog limit, I found when I had 2 or even three that was ok but there have been a few places that wont have us stay now because we have 4. Even though they know we haven't been a problem and the dogs are well behaved, they say if they do it for one then they have to break thier rules for everyone!!

A place where kids where there are not a lot of kids would suit us as we have none. Probly the biggest thing for us No 1 and No 2 of KismetKats list.

We have stayed at dog friendly accommodation that have supplied dog bowls and treats for the dogs as wel!!

Please tell us where you are!! or a link to your accomodation would be great!!

A lot of excellent information has been given to these anonymous people, would be nice to know who it is enhancing their business off DOL ideas?

It's called Market Research, Chewbacca.

Yes, I recall that the OP distinctly said they weren't looking for free advertising but were interested in what dog-loving guests would like to see in their holiday property.

Gosh, Chewie you can be incredibly tunnel-visioned when it comes to comments about kids. The OP has the right to decide whether to allow kids at their property or not, in the same way they have the right to decide whether dogs are allowed.

The problem is that so few pets allowed properties don't cater to children that those of us without kids are hard-pressed to find anywhere to take a break. We don't have kids because we don't like them - just as there are people without dogs because they don't like dogs. Why would we not only hand over our hard-earned dollars to buy a holiday but also grin and bear it when we are forced to co-exist with children? People have the choice to holiday without dogs, cats, horses any other type of animal, yet so few choices keep kids out so that non-kid-friendly people have somewhere to stay. Do you really think it's OK for parents to bitch about us non-parents wanting time away from kids - all kids? Because frankly it annoys the heck out of me that parents feel they have an open-ticket to all places with kids in tow regardless of what everyone else might find annoying in the process.

If you want to have kids, nobody is stopping you. However, when a kid-free property comes along, why not just let it be? It's as if you have to make "poor me" comments every single time the child-free topic is raised, isn't it? I wonder why that is...

1) dogs allowed inside

2) small fenced area attached for toileting without having to put on-lead.

3) a fully-fenced off-lead area that you don't have to share with other dogs if you don't want to (like they do at Best friend Holiday Retreat)

4) supply couch covers for those of us with dogs that will get on the furniture :D

7) getting back to point 3, also like BF Retreat dogs on-lead in common areas so we know they are under control and won't run up to (potentially) unfriendly dog.

8) check that all dogs who ever visit are fully vaccinated and flea-treated.

Plus I don't really want to see or hear any other dogs - or children :D

Kid-free, dog friendly accommodation - sounds like bliss to me. :D

The hot and cold tap thingy is a great idea.

You could also develop a partnership with a local dog groomer - especially a mobile one - for those who like to use them. Just a nice added extra that wont cost you anything.