Dog Friendly

spiff

I think you've got a great idea. We don't have kids, and like to go away with our dog(s). A relatively kid free place would attract us.

I would like to see no restrictions on dog size. We've had issues with having a great dane and greyhound, and if we go away with my parents, an Alaskan Malamute. A lot of places place restrictions on dog size, which locks us out.

I like having the dogs inside with us, especially to sleep. We take own bedding, and ours don't get on furniture.

Fenced well is a priority, as having a greyhound, he has to be contained. Normal fence height's good, as he doesn't jump, but gaps in fences are a problem.

Other than that, most of the other points are good. Poo bags and a disposal place for them is a must.

Good luck!

Edited by Flashsmum

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your information, I'm sorry if we have offended anyone by remaining anonymous, i feel it would be wrong to get on a forum, get into a conversation with you in the guise of selling you something. Same as I dont write reveiws for my own place, I know plenty of motel owners in my area that do. 2 dogs per room is our limit, we are set up in a residential/ rural area on the coast with a few restrictions and we wont bend the rules for anyone,as we hope to stay in business for some time, we're still learning that's why we're asking questions

I have 3 children and 4 GC so I can not be seen to be anti kid. One of the worst breaks we had away was when the very polite. well mannered child belonging to the people 2 units up, became our shadow for 3 days solid.

Poke our nose outside the unit and she would be there. Talk, talk, talk play with the dogs talk, talk, talk, play with the dogs talk, talk, talk. I would never be an unfriendly and she was a sweet kid but while Mum was having lovely please herself time we entertained her polite, well mannered child.

What about situations like ours spiff where we do have 3 dogs. Do you allow 2 in the room and one in the yard/trailer?

A lot of excellent information has been given to these anonymous people, would be nice to know who it is enhancing their business off DOL ideas?

It's called Market Research, Chewbacca.

yeah, if people don't want to respond they don't need to.

I have 3 children and 4 GC so I can not be seen to be anti kid. One of the worst breaks we had away was when the very polite. well mannered child belonging to the people 2 units up, became our shadow for 3 days solid.

Poke our nose outside the unit and she would be there. Talk, talk, talk play with the dogs talk, talk, talk, play with the dogs talk, talk, talk. I would never be an unfriendly and she was a sweet kid but while Mum was having lovely please herself time we entertained her polite, well mannered child.

What about situations like ours spiff where we do have 3 dogs. Do you allow 2 in the room and one in the yard/trailer?

awww the poor wee thing sounds like she was lonely. I'm glad you were there to help but yeah - that would get a bit much.

Thanks for your information, I'm sorry if we have offended anyone by remaining anonymous, i feel it would be wrong to get on a forum, get into a conversation with you in the guise of selling you something. Same as I dont write reveiws for my own place, I know plenty of motel owners in my area that do. 2 dogs per room is our limit, we are set up in a residential/ rural area on the coast with a few restrictions and we wont bend the rules for anyone,as we hope to stay in business for some time, we're still learning that's why we're asking questions

That's a real shame.

We have three dogs. We like to travel/holiday with them. So your place is definitely out for us on that basis.

Surely in the holiday accommodation business, council regulations don't stipulate dog limits for guests in the way they do for permanent residents?

Just a thought.

:thumbsup: That counts us out too!

That's a real shame.

We have three dogs. We like to travel/holiday with them. So your place is definitely out for us on that basis.

Surely in the holiday accommodation business, council regulations don't stipulate dog limits for guests in the way they do for permanent residents?

Just a thought.

I'd love to make everybody happy, but as you can see from this whole thread ,I'm not. but the up side to this is that someone will read this and say i can do this, I will be increasing the height of the fences for a start and are considering alot of other thing suggested thanks very much

For many people, two dogs is all they have so your accomodation would be great !

chewey - 90% of accomodation stipulates NO DOGS, so it won't hurt the kid brigade to have one for those of us that consider a holiday perfect without kids about !!!

I think fencing is one of the most important things, a hose down area for after beach romps as has been mentioned.

funny how most of dog people havn't even asked about the people facilities !!!!!! :-))

fifi

funny how most of dog people havn't even asked about the people facilities !!!!!! :-))

:thumbsup:

Funny but we've been to Best Friends a few times, and have never seen any kids there. Mostly older couples with their little lap dogs.

I agree with the comments about fencing. We stayed in a fantastic dog friendly place (which we will be returning to). However the yard they had which they suggested we could leave the dog in for the day so we could go and do non-dog friendly things (like tasting wine) had 1.5m fench which was made of pickets with the pointy tops.

Leila had a bit of a freak-out just being put in there to have her dinner and nearly hung herself. I was watching from inside and was able to save her but she spent the rest of the trip in the back of our car while we had lunch, tasted wine etc. Luckily it was the middle of winter and she was more than happy to sleep all day in the car.

Will you allow more than two dogs if they stay in their trailers? I know people attending sheep dog trials are always looking for places that will allow dogs. They usually have teams of 4 or more dogs. Working dogs are usually quiet and well behaved although some of their owners need to be reminded to pick up poo. They'd probably be OK in a park just don't bother in showgrounds. A friend and I have stayed at cabins in caravan parks with 11 dogs between us and the park owners have commented that they wouldn't have known there were dogs there.

For many people, two dogs is all they have so your accomodation would be great !

fifi

:rofl: I dont care as long as the dogs are happy!! :thumbsup:

:(

Funny but we've been to Best Friends a few times, and have never seen any kids there. Mostly older couples with their little lap dogs.

same, I love that place, it was fantastic, cant wait to go back!!

I asked about the people accom. It hasnt be addressed? Also how many stars rating is it?

I'm sorry, thought you were just joking around. Well it's got every thing a good motel should have, guests so far have said that it has been all that they could ask for and very comfortable. It hasn't been rated, but by the old scale I'd say it's rated 3 1//2 to 4

:rofl:

Well I've been there with 2 doggies (one of them quite big) and my 12 y.o. daughter.

Mind you, the 12y.o. spent the whole time wishing she wasn't on holiday with her parents! :thumbsup:

The dogs had a great time tho.

Spiff - as far as dog rules are concerned following Best Friends lead (excuse any pun) would be a good idea - they have a well run ship there as far as doggie rules/etiquette there.

Is you facility in Victoria? If so please PM me with the details.