Dog Friendly

spiff

I have very quiet enormous dogs and people are often turned off when you say three very large black fluffy dogs.............they are well behaved indoor dogs, and very social and dog friendly who also love to be outside. would you allow three big dogs?

I would need to have somewhere to wash the dogs.

I would always bring my own bedding and food......But would need a fridge for storage, because we feed RAW

Mostly the place would only be a place to sleep and eat breakfast. I love the idea of an off lead beach, sound like fun.....We are always looking for new beach holidays :0

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We stayed at a dog friendly place once where the unit had wall to wall wool carpet, beautiful objets d'art on low coffee tables, expensive floor length curtains and a lovely tapestry wall hanging. The weather was vile. As you can imagine, a break away turned into a stressful nightmare and yes one of our dogs did pull the wall hanging down and they both got muddy paws. The owner was understanding but I was mortified.

I would far rather stay in a property that was a little less chi chi and much more "dog proof" so that I don't have to constantly supervise what they are up to. Hard floors, no knick knacks below shoulder height and plenty of towels/wash off area. Also, for cleaning nuts like me I appreciate cleaning gear being left in the unit so I can mop the floor etc

Solid fencing is important, i don't expect not to supervise my dogs but it is nice to toilet them off lead under supervision. For "get away" places rather than hotels that accept dog show people, I really think that to be considered truly dog friendly the dogs have to be allowed inside and there has to be a fenced area outside of some kind, even if it is just a courtyard. On a getaway I want to spend relaxing time with my dogs inside, on a show weekend I spend all day with them so it's less of a drama to have them in a trailer overnight.

I asked about the people accom. It hasnt be addressed? Also how many stars rating is it?

I'm sorry, thought you were just joking around. Well it's got every thing a good motel should have, guests so far have said that it has been all that they could ask for and very comfortable. It hasn't been rated, but by the old scale I'd say it's rated 3 1//2 to 4

Nope, Chewie would probably like to stay at your place with her three skin-kids + the rest of the family. :thumbsup:

I thought you said the rooms aren't big enough to accommodate kids as well as adults and dogs so I'm unsure as to why the questions were even asked if it's not suitable to her needs. :(

Then again, it's not going to be any use to us because of the slightly silly restriction to 2 dogs. This sort of thing comes up from time to time when people advertise their property as being "pet friendly" but then they place rather silly restrictions on guests with dogs, such as only allowing one dog, only allowing "lap dogs" (all three of ours consider themselves to be lap dogs, does that count???), and dogs only permitted outside in the guest's car or chained up to the car. Yes, they're all super-dog-friendly places! :rofl:

If you really want to offer genuinely dog-friendly human accommodation, perhaps start with asking yourself WHY you want to appeal to this market and WHAT you really have to offer everyone who would like to holiday or travel with their dog or dogs. Why is your property better than others in the area and how can you make yours better if it's not?

There is a great resort in the Gold Coast area which is purpose-built for dogs and humans to stay together. It is quite similar to Best Friends from looking at both property's websites. And when I last enquired the GC property didn't restrict dog numbers per guest/cabin. Just something to re-think about if you really want to attract dog-loving guests because there are lots of us with more than one or two dogs in our family. :)

I wish you lots of luck! :rofl:

We have stayed over night at a motel twice that has 2 rooms dogs are allowed inside.We had 2 biggish dogs with us so not sure of limit.A small fenced area the dogs could eat and toilet in.Basic but cleaner in bathroom than some more up market places .I would have preferred vinyl on floor to the carpet just in case .It was lovely as so many places say dog friendly but dogs not allowed in rooms when I asked.Wonder if it depends on local council regulations.We looked at doing B&B a few years ago but so many regulations .

We have stayed at Best Friends but that is a different market to what spiff's place sounds like.

spiff if my OH sleeps in the car does that mean 3 dogs can sleep in room ?He can sleep anywhere but the boys like to stetch their legs :thumbsup: I am sure you will have some happy doggie visitors.My dogs are very nosey so if floor length windows lots of dab marks to clean!

I asked about the people accom. It hasnt be addressed? Also how many stars rating is it?

I'm sorry, thought you were just joking around. Well it's got every thing a good motel should have, guests so far have said that it has been all that they could ask for and very comfortable. It hasn't been rated, but by the old scale I'd say it's rated 3 1//2 to 4

Nope, Chewie would probably like to stay at your place with her three skin-kids + the rest of the family. :thumbsup:

I thought you said the rooms aren't big enough to accommodate kids as well as adults and dogs so I'm unsure as to why the questions were even asked if it's not suitable to her needs. :(

Then again, it's not going to be any use to us because of the slightly silly restriction to 2 dogs. This sort of thing comes up from time to time when people advertise their property as being "pet friendly" but then they place rather silly restrictions on guests with dogs, such as only allowing one dog, only allowing "lap dogs" (all three of ours consider themselves to be lap dogs, does that count???), and dogs only permitted outside in the guest's car or chained up to the car. Yes, they're all super-dog-friendly places! :rofl:

If you really want to offer genuinely dog-friendly human accommodation, perhaps start with asking yourself WHY you want to appeal to this market and WHAT you really have to offer everyone who would like to holiday or travel with their dog or dogs. Why is your property better than others in the area and how can you make yours better if it's not?

There is a great resort in the Gold Coast area which is purpose-built for dogs and humans to stay together. It is quite similar to Best Friends from looking at both property's websites. And when I last enquired the GC property didn't restrict dog numbers per guest/cabin. Just something to re-think about if you really want to attract dog-loving guests because there are lots of us with more than one or two dogs in our family. :)

I wish you lots of luck! :rofl:

I answered chewies question because he/she asked me twice and it would be rude not to answer. Yes the rooms arn't big enough for a family,chewy didnt ask if they could stay,just asked if it was a nice place, to nice for the likes of me to stay in as I'm just a glorified cleaner .Now can someone throw me a rope I've dug myself into a nice big hole.

Don't worry spiff, chewie's bite is worse than her bark !!!!!

Lotsa shite-stirrirers about these parts !!!

now....do you need a rope or shovel ?!! hehehehe...

fifi

Thanks fifi, it's ok we've been having a bit of a laugh, but since I started the thread i wont get drawn into it to far

i have kids and dogs, and don't object to no kids :)

i think its a great idea, however, i think you will find the 2 dog limit will lose you alot of business :o

one dog can be a pain, than badly behaved to 3/4 well mannered ones, and you will find alot of people here have more than 2. :o

my dogs are outside 24/7, so i would like a secure area, with cover, or kennels , and good walking spots. :worship:

my idea would be somewhere i could sit outside with my dogs and read and relax, go walking etc. ( when my kids have flown the nest of course :thanks: )

although i have 3 dogs, so would count me out :thumbsup:

Hi , Thanks to everyone for there input on this thread, we have picked up alot of good tips. Unfortunately some of them we just cant do due room, council guidelines or we're just not comfortable to do it that way. We were quite surprised at the amount of people that owned more than 2 dogs, we personally don't know anyone who owns 3 dog's or more (cept for the towns local crazy lady , she's got 4 of mellowist,nicest dogs I've ever come across, but she's as mad as a hatter) We only have one dog ourselves and no children. I think we will change our advertising from dog friendly to pet friendly as dog friendly I think gives the impression that we cater to people such as many of the people that have responded, I mean some of you are pretty hard-core and good for you thats your life. But we have chosen to cater for couples with clean well behaved pet dog's who want a Quiet break with there pet down at the beach, we can't please everybody so we will concentrate on pleasing these people.. I'm sorry that some of you people are peed off that we're just another place that discriminates against dog owner's, we are just going to do the best we can within the boundrys that have been set and what we are comfortable with and I'm sure that any logical person would understand this. Thank you

Hi , Thanks to everyone for there input on this thread, we have picked up alot of good tips. Unfortunately some of them we just cant do due room, council guidelines or we're just not comfortable to do it that way. We were quite surprised at the amount of people that owned more than 2 dogs, we personally don't know anyone who owns 3 dog's or more (cept for the towns local crazy lady , she's got 4 of mellowist,nicest dogs I've ever come across, but she's as mad as a hatter) We only have one dog ourselves and no children. I think we will change our advertising from dog friendly to pet friendly as dog friendly I think gives the impression that we cater to people such as many of the people that have responded, I mean some of you are pretty hard-core and good for you thats your life. But we have chosen to cater for couples with clean well behaved pet dog's who want a Quiet break with there pet down at the beach, we can't please everybody so we will concentrate on pleasing these people.. I'm sorry that some of you people are peed off that we're just another place that discriminates against dog owner's, we are just going to do the best we can within the boundrys that have been set and what we are comfortable with and I'm sure that any logical person would understand this. Thank you

Wow! That's one way to lose a heap of business in one thread without even trying. :laugh:

Are you implying that anyone with more than one or two dogs is crazy? :scold:

I would suggest that you consider removing the whole pet friendly tag from your advertising because you seem to have a lot of conditions which go along with permitting guests with dogs to stay in your property. We dog-lovers do get peeved when we see a property stating how pets welcome it is, then we go to book and are told that we have too many dogs, the wrong breed/s of dogs, or that they aren't sure that our dogs wouldn't cause problems for either themselves or other guests.

What do you mean by some of us being "hard core"? I have no idea what you're saying there but I feel it could be insulting to some. :rofl:

I guess this is why it's so bloody hard for us responsible, caring and motivated dog-owners to have a holiday or to travel with our dogs. We are seen as being crazy because we love our dogs? :rofl:

I think you are being overly harsh lilysmum and spiff I would certainly not be dropping the pet friendly tag.

The vast majority of dog owners do not have more than 2 dogs so the restriction on dog numbers would not be an issue to most pet owners. I've not noticed any other 'restrictions' mentioned so to suggest the place isn't dog friendly is ridiculous.

Don't worry - I am trying my heart out to purchase a serious dog kennel/accomodation etc place in QLD

Wil depend on the banks at this point. If anyone has a few spare million they can lend me............................

We will accept BIG dogs, multiple dogs, titre testing and mad crazy dog people

We will discourage children (sorry Chewy- had to pick one market and stick with it)

We will have different off lead areas for different doggies

Floors will be tiled. Beds, couches etc will have covers.

Fridges in rooms will be BIG

I hope to grow all my own fruit, veges, herbs and eggs - so can offer true gourmet, organic, back to nature experience.

Might even try to grow coffee...............

Now where is that lotto ticket..............

There will be big lists sent to people with the receipt for thier deposit so everyone knows the "rules" before they arrive - this allows anyone who doesn't like the rules (eg dogs on lead in public areas) to make thier own choices.

Don't forget to PM me if you have a few spare mill to share........

LOL

Ooooh thanks CH - you noticed the titer test question!!! :laugh:

I don't have a spare anything to share but I'm sending you positive thoughts so I'm sure that'll help :rofl:

ETA - I only have 2 dogs atm but have had 3 in the past so I hope that qualifies me under your "mad crazy dog people" criteria!!!

Edited by spottychick

Don't worry spiff, chewie's bite is worse than her bark !!!!!

Lotsa shite-stirrirers about these parts !!!

now....do you need a rope or shovel ?!! hehehehe...

fifi

Thanks fifi, it's ok we've been having a bit of a laugh, but since I started the thread i wont get drawn into it to far

Agree with fifi, spiff - unfortunately here on DOL you can't please most of the people most of the time :rofl:

I think you have a great idea, sounds perfect for us - 1 dog and grown up kids who don't holiday with us anyway... The opportunity to go on a holiday that might just be kid free is absolute bliss to us... I will be on the lookout for your business ad...

Good luck with your endeavour Colliehound - sounds great too..

I am so tired of the attitude of some people that if something doesn't cater for them, that something is just plain wrong and/or discriminating against them and should be punished.

If I go into a nightclub and it is filled with young people being young, rowdy, uninhibited, and I don't like it because it doesn't suit me, is that place discriminating against me? No, I chose to go into a place that wasn't suitable for my age group and requirements. So if there is any fault, it is with me.

So if an accommodation place wants to set itself up as dog friendly, no children please, if anyone with children wants to go there and feels slighted because they can't - well tough cheddar. The majority of places are PET free and to have some that are opening up specifically to cater for people who want to holiday with their pets is just great.

In my opinion, in all facets of life and social relations, anti discrimination has gone too far.

Great post MM !!

It seems that if you want to cater for a niche market that suits your lifestyle & local guidelines - then you are some kind of offender !!!

I think there is a great need for all kinds of pet friendly accomodation - WHATEVER their specific niche !!!

fifi

NO, I was not implying that all people who own 3 dog's or more are crazy, Although all the people that I know that own 4 dog's are crazy, all one of them. Seeing as I don't know any of you people, so I wasnt referring to any of you. This has been quite good listening to your feedback, and colliehound can use alot of the information too. Chewie you are welcome to bring your whole brood and stay at our place, but to fit in you will have to book all 4 rooms and since it will be school holidays peak rates of $230 per room per night apply, and of course 4night minimum (some conditions apply)

:eek: :D ;) :D so am I learning to stir the shite pot good fifi