Bungee Toy On Pulley

fattima

I mentioned this in the pointer thread and I thought I would share how I built this for Roky and Kiki. It only took an hour or two to make and was well worth it. Our dogs are not very excited by toys, Cosmolo suggested a bungee cord for them and we took it a step further.

I purchased all the bits from Bunnings, all parts are Zenith brand in stainless steel where available. D shackles and pulley are galvanised, to save money you could use galvanised instead of stainless steel. You can probably get the parts cheaper from other places such as a boat supply place.

Parts List

2 x eyebolts (I used 6x50mm threaded) depends on where you are going to run cable you may need screw in type $4.40 ea

2 x 5mm D shackles $5.60 for twin pack

10 meters 3mm wire rope $15.30

1 x 20mm awning pulley $4.24

2 x 3mm wire rope grips $4.37 for twin pack

2 x 6mm snap hook $8.98

1 x 5mm turn buckle $19.30

2 x 3mm thimble for wire rope $3.10 for twin pack

2 x 3mm wire rope swages $8.70

Total $87.37

Bungee cord from local pet store $20.00

Grand total $107.37

Fix eye bolts to a strong structure, how you do this is up to you.

Thread one end of cable through swage and wrap wire around thimble to make a loop. Pull tight and crush swage, I used the smooth shank of a bolt in a bench vice to crush.

Thread pulley onto wire.

Measure how much cable you will need taking into account fully extended turn buckle. It is easiest to do this with turn buckle in place. When you are happy with measurement swage end as in step 2.

Use D shackle to attach swaged end to D shackle and tension cable.

Use another D shackle to go through hole in pulley then use second snap hook to go attach bungee cord to D shackle.

Work out the extent you want pulley to run and attach wire rope grip to cables as stops.

We put liver treats on the bungee to get the dogs interested, we also attached their toy duck to the cord. They love this tow and was well worth the effort of making it.

771874295_Zzdpp-M.jpg

772414213_oqNfo-M.jpg

772414249_sVZvQ-M.jpg

772414162_4CFhc-M.jpg