One Way Of Teaching Kids To Be Scared Of Dogs..

W Sibs

OMG... I took Charlie to the shop tonight, as we were in front of the shops. Charlie and I went for a little stroll, then a little girl with her family was heading towards us... Charlie (who was on his leash) slowly went towards her to say hello and the mum was yelling 'baby, that's a dog. run run... it's going to bite you' and the girl screamed and ran away while the parents and grandparents were laughing amused at the reaction following her.

Me: My dog doesn't bite

The mum: It's funny when she runs like that.

Me: You're teaching her how to be scared of dogs by doing that

The mum: She loves dogs.

Max is the friendliest most gentle dog BUT run and scream and he thinks you're up for a game! I am very leary of children - they are unpredictable and I keep my boy on a short lead until I've sussed the children out. Made a mistake last week and let him off at the archery butts, with the owner's 2 children, 10 and 8 I guess, only to discover that if he showed an interested in the older girls feet that she would scream. He has a fetish for toes and he thinks screaming means you want to play. Fortunately I was right next to her and put him right back on his lead. The more I said to the child "don't scream" the more she bounced around yelling. :cheer: In the past he's been off-lead up there with those same children without a problem. Oh well, win some, lose some!

i feel bad for the kid... she never had a chance.

is this a face of a dog that can hurt someone?

4135735158_ec3a9ced27.jpg

:cheer::vomit: Yes if you came down the stairs in the dark :flame: ...........Hes a bit of a trip hazard!

Seriously though, as all have said an extremely stupid thing to say to a kid! I really hope the next dog they do it to doesnt want to chase the kid. FFS!!!!!

Rat

Edited by Lab_Rat

Dont worry my 12yr old cousin (who owns a dog) screams and jumps all over the lounge when she sees one of my dogs (even through a door or child gate).

With her it is attention seeking coz she knows she will get sympathy for being scared of the evil mean dog that is now jumping all over the place barking saying 'doyawannaplaydoyawannaplay' while I get lazer death stares for letting the dogs scare her and then a talking to after by other family members who actually think she is scared!! The dog is usually minding its own buisness before she starts carrying on.

What is worse- I have caught her many times patting the dogs, letting them out of their room when I have told HER to stay away from them because I dont trust her :cheer::vomit: I now basicaly have to sit between her where any of the dogs are kept just to keep THEM safe

Dont worry my 12yr old cousin (who owns a dog) screams and jumps all over the lounge when she sees one of my dogs (even through a door or child gate).

With her it is attention seeking coz she knows she will get sympathy for being scared of the evil mean dog that is now jumping all over the place barking saying 'doyawannaplaydoyawannaplay' while I get lazer death stares for letting the dogs scare her and then a talking to after by other family members who actually think she is scared!! The dog is usually minding its own buisness before she starts carrying on.

What is worse- I have caught her many times patting the dogs, letting them out of their room when I have told HER to stay away from them because I dont trust her :cheer::vomit: I now basicaly have to sit between her where any of the dogs are kept just to keep THEM safe

Isn't that the most frustrating thing ever? How come in these types of situation the child is never blamed but always the dog/owner? I never used to take much notice before as I never owned a dog, now it's like a neon sign to me: the child is never responsible NO MATTER WHAT IT HAS DONE!

I know I'm generalising and that there are well-behaved and well-mannered children out there it's just that I very seldom encounter them. They are a rare as hen's teeth around here!

To get back to the OP: that poor child is going to get bitten somewhere down the line.

I think those are the same parents who, in emergency paediatrics, say to their sick kid "Now you behave or the nurse will give you a needle!!" Like I don't have enough trouble getting the child to trust me enough just to take their temperature!! Grr!! :cheer:

I think those are the same parents who, in emergency paediatrics, say to their sick kid "Now you behave or the nurse will give you a needle!!" Like I don't have enough trouble getting the child to trust me enough just to take their temperature!! Grr!! :cheer:

Or people who tell their children that the policeman will take them to jail! I totally agree about pople being de-sexed. This poor kid - I can see her getting chased & bitten!