Before Using A Stud...

Leema

First and foremost I want to see health certification of the dog itself at the very least, but preferably his parents and grandparents as well.

I'd like to know stud fee, amount, when it is payable and whether or not the dog is available for natural matings or if he is by AI only.

I also want to know if there will be any terms and conditions such as restricted sales, number of puppies on Main/Limit etc.

I DON'T care if such and such has a beef with whomever. I'm not going to inflame a situation but by the same token, I am not going to carry somebody elses' grudge for them so if they are going to tell me that I cannot sell a puppy to person X, then I'll use another dog.

If somebody uses a dog of mine then I don't believe in puppy back situations. They can pay the stud fee and if I am interested in a puppy from the litter then I would hope that I can purchase one outright.

Depending upon the situation, I may require all puppies other than those kept by the breeder themselves, or by other specific agreement to be put onto Limited Registration.

I ask that I be notified of the arrival of the puppies, numbers, genders, colours and any neonatal deaths as well as any issues that may arise with the puppies as they get older. This is for my benefit because I want to know if my dog is throwing any particular problems that may affect his future as a stud dog or the integrity of the bloodlines.

As I'm familiar with just about every pedigree in my breed, I've usually already done my homework when looking for an outside stud dog. It must tie into what I'm doing as I'm a firm believer in linebreeding.

I need to know hip/elbow scores and vWD status. Current eye checks as well are desired, but as I know the lines pretty good for every GP around, I'm not about to consider a dog if there are issues in the lines in the past.

I'm not so much worried about what the dog has produced in the past as I linebreed tightly and pretty much know what I can expect when I finally get around to doing a breeding.

My first question is simple...'will you let me breed to your dog?' It saves me a lot of time if I know they would permit a breeding..then we can work on details.

If the dog is available, I usually like to know what I"m expected to do as owner of the bitch. Most stud dog owners have their set of rules they like to use...if I'm not happy with what they send me, I walk away...no dogs sperm is worth selling a soul over....there are a few in my breed that own males that seem to think they are entitled to making decisions such as telling me that I must only have any entire dogs on the ones I keep, the rest must be altered and sold on limited registration..I even had one tell me that I was to use the dogs name in the registered names of the litter!

I like to keep it simple..all too often lately it seems that everyone is making this dog breeding thing, FAR too difficult and complicated....

Along with the above, after health checks and sighting authentic results certificates, I would want to know the service fee and also make sure you get a return of service should the bitch absorb, miss or have stillborns.

you simply ask if there are any conditions regarding all aspects... stud fee, litter registration/sale ....

one would hope you have already done some homework on why you want to use that particular dog.

once you know ALL conditions then its up to you to decide whether they are acceptable to you - it's

nothing to do with anyone else. I know people who have agreed to the most bizzare conditions but

they wanted to use the dog and accepted the conditions.

and.... GET IT IN WRITING !!!

you simply ask if there are any conditions regarding all aspects... stud fee, litter registration/sale ....

and.... GET IT IN WRITING !!!

Thanks for everyone's replies. This is a great start for me ("Are there any conditions?"). I'm trying hard not to sound too obsessive. :D This will be my first litter and so I appreciate the input I've received. Thanks. :D

Yes definately get your conditions in writing.

Pups on main/limit register. I know if many who stipulate anything you do not keep must go on limit. Others are a little more flexible and realise you may be towards numbers and have to 'stash' something. So they will allow those pups to go in duel ownership. CCCQ require a certain form filled in for co-ownership. Again, make sure you write into the co-own document the conditions. Also be aware, that CCCQ will not come between warring parties if a co-own goes sour.

Payment of stud fees: Some require it up front. Some will require it once pups are born. Some will say a minimum of X puppy guarantee. Some don't. They say, you paid for a service, that was delivered so if your bitch reabsorbs etc, too bad. Some may offer a return service in such an event. Some stud dog owners are happy for stud to be paid later after deposits come in for puppies, and will then sign the stud form once payment is received. Payment of AI fees if any are required. Also some stud dog owners require the bitch to be swabbed and to be on anti-biotics. Some don't.

Health Certificates: Already been mentioned. I second the sighting of ORIGINAL. There was a case a couple of years ago where hip/elbow and a DNA test was fudged to be favourable. The bitch owner I think only saw an emailed copy of such certificates and was duped to believing them to be true.

Of course in line with this, you should also be aware of any health issues in the line and the risk of them coming up in your puppies. Some issues of course you may not be able to forsee or know about, but it never hurts to do research on any inherrant problems. Also look at non breed specific issues such as Bites, non-descended testes, small/large puppies, C-sections, and other issues not specific to your breed.