Dutch Shepherd

Red Fox

I'm interested in learning more about the Dutch Shepherd but having trouble finding much info on them (well in English anyway lol).

They dont seem to be very common here in Australia at all!

Does anyone know much about them or where to find some reliable information?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys...Bronson was possibly a Dutch shep x...possibly a brindle GSDx - no guarantees with the rescues unfortunately but given the rarity of the breed I'd go with GSDx personally. Though a military working dog handler thought he might be Dutch Shepherd. He found a wonderful home regardless (pic attached).

BTW, apparently there are two dutch sheps on trial with the RAAF - still pups so not sure how far into their training they are.

post-25153-1265018673_thumb.jpg

I have one :eek: a girl, still a pup, will be 1 in may. Sweet dog, calm girl. Tried her at schtz couple mths ago and she went from sweet sooky girl to a beast. Never did any prey work with her, nothing, she just turned on like she'd been trained. It was amazing.

I think i was luck to have found her. Most of that litter went into working homes. Just looking at the sites posted here, the working dutchies site has her grandad -Boy and her grandma -Kim on it.

My girl has been pretty protective from the time she came here, even as a pup. I'm told her litter mates were worse, having aggression towards most things at 3mths.

Are you looking for one?

I met two on a weekend from ck9sas.

As Jeff said - not for the faint hearted. A lot more serious then the malinois, larger and scarier looking too!

But after I had seen them work they have grown on me a bit.

Wow, I read somewhere that they are slightly smaller and slightly calmer than a Mal - guess that proves that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet :clap:

Whats the go with crossing the Malinios and Dutch Shepherds though? I was under the impression that while they are similar they are still seperate breeds? Yet there seem to be a few Dutchies that have Malinios in their parentage :eek:

They do look awesome in action though! And stunning looking dogs to boot!

I have one :eek: a girl, still a pup, will be 1 in may. Sweet dog, calm girl. Tried her at schtz couple mths ago and she went from sweet sooky girl to a beast. Never did any prey work with her, nothing, she just turned on like she'd been trained. It was amazing.

I think i was luck to have found her. Most of that litter went into working homes. Just looking at the sites posted here, the working dutchies site has her grandad -Boy and her grandma -Kim on it.

My girl has been pretty protective from the time she came here, even as a pup. I'm told her litter mates were worse, having aggression towards most things at 3mths.

Are you looking for one?

Do you have a pic of her Kristina? Would love to see :clap:

I'm not looking for one at the moment. Lets just say it's a long term plan :( But I am very interested in learning more about them over the next few years :cry:

Dont have any good pics, i'll try to get one tomorrow.

As for crossing mals, her dad is a mal. Since there's not many dutchies in oz they need to still mix them to keep the outcrossing going otherwise you'd end up with tons of problems just working from a few dogs. Need to get a bigger gene pool.

I love my girl, she's great, so clever and so willing to please and so obedient. At home she's a ratbag at times, but once out she's very good much to my amazement. lol.

Edited by Kristina

I met two on a weekend from ck9sas.

As Jeff said - not for the faint hearted. A lot more serious then the malinois, larger and scarier looking too!

But after I had seen them work they have grown on me a bit.

Wow, I read somewhere that they are slightly smaller and slightly calmer than a Mal - guess that proves that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet :clap:

Whats the go with crossing the Malinios and Dutch Shepherds though? I was under the impression that while they are similar they are still seperate breeds? Yet there seem to be a few Dutchies that have Malinios in their parentage :eek:

They do look awesome in action though! And stunning looking dogs to boot!

In the Netherlands the only difference between Dutch and Belgian Shepherds is the colour of there coat. You can get Dutch and Belgian Shepherds in the same litter. All Belgian Malinois have Dutch Shepherds in there pedigree, you just need to go back far enough.

The KNPV line Dutch Shepherds / Belgian Malinois are regularly crossed with the aim of breeding a superior working dog, the main aim of the KNPV program is to breed and train dogs suitable for police work. The KNPV is considered to be the best working dog breeding program in the world.

The FCI Dutch Shepherds hold pedigree papers and are able to compete in dog shows and various forms of dog sports due to there "pedigree papers" . Magically some KNPV line dogs are able to get FCI pedigree papers which get used in breeding programs to add size and hardness to the lines.

KNPV line dogs are more suited to police and military working roles, FCI line dogs are more common in Schutzhund/IPO events.

Edited by Jeff Jones

Kavik - at a secret location :( by invite only, I begged to be allowed to attend and I got to go, it was a blast :eek: One of the best dog weekends ever :cry:

And two dogs that I had seen were definitely bigger then Malinois, well maybe not bigger then Harley, but he is a horse not a dog :clap:

Here is a pic for you.post-3337-1265027683_thumb.jpg

Edited by MonElite

Thanks for that info Jeff :eek:

So would an FCI line dog be softer than a KNPV line then? Is there a noticable difference between the two?

I dont suppose that having an FCI "pedigree" would make much difference here in Australia being that they're not a recognised breed here anyway?