Does Anyone Choose Not To Crate Train?

BooBooBear

I'm not entirely sure crate training is the way to go for me either but I really needed to hear from someone who a. knows a lot more than I do and b. was willing to 'go against' the grain.

I understand why a lot of people choose to crate train but to me I'm not sure it fits with what I believe. Just me I guess. Will see how we go with it all :thumbsup::rofl:

Not sure if it is 'going against' the grain to NOT crate train, but it is obviously something you are not comfortable with and I would guess that leads you to become very anxious when the pup is protesting.

My Aussie did not take to the crate and behaved much as yours is now. I was willing to persist but my hubby was not so I gave in and she chose our bed for sleeping. We continued to feed her meals in her crate until she learnt some manners at feet time.

After being desexed she became quite ill and unsettled and the only way we could keep her calm was to have her in her crate, and to be honest, that was where SHE wanted to be often seeking refuge in there. I thank dog that we had the crate otherwise who knows what injuries she may have caused herself.

Ultimately you have to do what you are comfortable with, but crate training can hold many benefits both now and later in the pups life.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B3:

I understand why a lot of people choose to crate train but to me I'm not sure it fits with what I believe.

This is worth exploring.

What do you believe crate training to be about?

Do you believe that its important that a young dog learn to tolerate some degree of social isolation?

Do you think that dogs should learn a degree of self control?

Do you think that having a dog comfortable with a degree of containment is useful for travel, veterinary trips and when unwell?

Or do you believe that crate training is unnatural and potentially abusive? If its this, then I understand your reluctance to persist with it.

Did you know that you can use a crate to teach some basic obedience AND to play games with? :thumbsup:

Yep, I choose not to crate train.

My dog sleeps in dog bed next to my bed. My door is open so she has access to the rest of the house.

When she was being toilet trained she had a puppy pad down inside the house to go on, when she was older she was trained to ring the bell to go outside.

If crate training's not for you, don't stress about it, just do what works for you and for your dog :thumbsup: x

My dog sleeps in dog bed next to my bed. My door is open so she has access to the rest of the house.

So is mine. He is crate trained though. Once again, the idea that a crate trained dog is more confined than others can be inaccurate.

So is mine. He is crate trained though. Once again, the idea that a crate trained dog is more confined than others can be inaccurate.

Errr ok. I wasn't saying anything about how confined or not, crate trained dogs are.

Just answering the OP - had no problem with toilet training, meal manners, sleeping or anything else; all done without crate training.

Whatever works for the individual person and the individual dog.

I've never crate trained and both my dogs are perfectly toilet trained and to be honest it was actually very easy. All I did was the usual, take them out every hour or so, after they exercised/ate/drank/slept, when they did their business I praised them.

Between both of my dogs we had around 2-3 accidents-not bad.

I haven't crate trained any of my dogs - the old dog sleeps on the couch at night with access to the outside - the other two sleep in our bedroom - the kelpie curls up in a corner of the walk in robe under a small table - we figure she feels safe and secure in there and likes the tight quarters (plus the pup can't get into the wardrobe so she gets peace) - so I suppose it acts like a crate for her - the pup sleeps in a dog bed at the foot of the bed or sleeps next to the bed.

He has been the easiest to toilet train - I took him outside after meals and when he woke up and used the word "toilet" - he also had limited access in the house when we were home - he has had a couple of accidents and is now very good.

So - I can see the advantages - but for me I just didn't :offtopic:

I'm a crate failure... I caved the first night after 20 minutes of hysterics and he never went in it again. :offtopic:

I just did what others have said, watched him like a hawk, took him outside at regular intervals, always first thing in the morning, after meals and last thing at night. Lots and lots of praise as soon as he peed outside and straight back inside to bed. He taught himself the doggy door so that helped!

You just need to suss out what works for you BBB. Good luck!

ETA - You know in cartoons when a character doesn't want to go in somewhere so all 4 legs are out, braced against the door jamb. That was Moose when I tried to crate him. ;)

Edited by moosepup

We have always been lucky- living in the bush..being home pretty well all the time.. so no need for any crate training :offtopic:

Any pups have just always been in & out with us.. when we see that something like a wee is imminent- then the chosen word is said in a happy voice..much praise is delivered (pats) after the deed is done, and we go about our business.

very soon there is a pup who toilets on command , makes life SO much easier ;)

I have never had to get up in the night for a pup (piglet, yes), but not a pup, and my 3 have all just been in my room on their bed.....

I think crate training can be useful for some people, but it not a necessity :rofl:

Wow thanks so much for everyone's responses, I really do appreciate it. I find it incredibly reassuring that there are people who haven't crate trained and it's all worked out. :laugh:

Can I just ask - during the night, did you just get up a couple of times to take him/her to the toilet, or did they wake you?

Will keep you updated on our progress, at the moment I'm still trying the crate but will see how we go over the next few days. When he is out of the crate/play pen I seem to be saying 'no' a lot :laugh::mad

I keep Wilson on his bed next to ours. I hear him during the night ( once only) and I take him straight outside. He wees and then we both go straight back to bed. He now goes to bed about 10 - 11 and I get up between 4-5 am with him and then back to bed until 6-6:30.

All I can say in the way of advice is do what you believe is the best thing for you. Take in all the advice people have to give and then see what YOU feel is right. Lots of good advice on here and lots of helpful people.

If it makes you feel any better, while i'm on here I have heard the kids telling Wilson 'no' alot!! :laugh::laugh:

None of mine are crate trained for inside purposes.I do put them in a crate as pups for a while with some toys/bone inside only to get them used to it should an owner wish to crate train.

I just take them out after a meal or if they have woken up,like the old days :laugh:

Wow thanks so much for everyone's responses, I really do appreciate it. I find it incredibly reassuring that there are people who haven't crate trained and it's all worked out. :laugh:

Can I just ask - during the night, did you just get up a couple of times to take him/her to the toilet, or did they wake you?

Will keep you updated on our progress, at the moment I'm still trying the crate but will see how we go over the next few days. When he is out of the crate/play pen I seem to be saying 'no' a lot :laugh::mad

Hi BBB!

I got up every 2 hours for about 3 nights! A lot of the times she was fast asleep so I just carried her out and woke her up.

By the fourth night I let her sleep until 5 am and she never woke so I woke her up at 5am. About 10 days into it she was sleeping from 10pm to 6am.

Train him to sit on a mat BBB! Just get him to sit on a mat quietly and feed him at 30 sec interval, then 1 min, 1.5 min, 2 min and so on. It helps for a calm pup later on! I swear by it! Heheeh you’ll have to practise multi tasking! At one stage I was whipping egg whites and teaching her to stay put on her mat!

If you have access to him during the day also start clicker training and teach him to focus. I find that by teaching a lot of commands it helps with their self control later on when they grow up. Just do sit, stand, paw etc and do 5 min session as regularly as you can. It really knackers them out!

Also agree with mumsy about doing what works for YOU! We will all give you all sorts of tips and advice but every pup is different and everyone’s lifestyle is different!

Never crate trained my own dogs or any puppies for toilet purposes. My little ones will go in a large crate or pen for safety or when I give adults a bone or chew so they don't fight, which is the only time they ever would consider it.

1 male stud peed everywhere on maturity so he goes in a pen overnight but not a small restricted to sleeping area pen.

That I do not like & a young puppy will pee in its own bed if it can't get out & the owner is not aware.

Mine go on newspaper & I have had 2 litters that just followed mum at about 6 weeks & copied her, lucky.

When I see them I also give praise & they have a toilet word from about 5 weeks old, piddles.

I take them out & say piddles or if they go on the paper I say piddles & praise on results. Works fine, dogs are smart.

I didn't read all the reply's.........But the umbilical system is another form of puppy training. but it is best used with crate/confined area training. My puppies are crated at night, but when we are home during the day we use the umbilical system. Dog/puppy is on leash and they are where you are. It can be very tiresome for the puppy/you and you will still use a crate/confined area or safe outside area, when you are unable to be attached or for sleep time. It is also a good way to retrain adult rescue dogs if not potty trained. You are more aware of the dog and always know what they are up to and where. It is also very good for bonding and training on lead.

We use crates to a minimum, but once our dogs are poty trained they roam the house and our screened in verandah's. Though they mostly just sleep :eek:

Since I couldn't afford the crate (ZAR3500,00 + shipping) it wasn't even an option for me. I can understand why crate training is a good thing and I think I would probably have given it a go if I'd had a crate.

I just watched Max carefully and I think I was really really lucky because although we had a few accidents he was really good about letting me know when he wanted out. He still is. I tend to spend a lot of time in my own world in front of a pc (I'm a computer technician by trade and he comes to work with me) and he has realised he has to really get my attention - a large foot in your lap does tend to work! :eek: I really didn't have any trouble with the house training. The first week I was taking him out every hour until I got a handle on his body language. Then I could see when he needed to go out. When he did his thing outside I made a big fuss of him and even gave him treats, but the treating stopped when he figured out he could just squat and not wee if I wasn't watching too carefully :mad:rofl:

I will add that although my dogs are crate trained, and have a soft crate in my bedroom as well as dog beds beside mine, they 99% of the time sleep in my bed snuggled up to me :eek: But it's great if I want to take them away or camping etc to know they can happily/safely sleep in a crate.

Wow thanks so much for everyone's responses, I really do appreciate it. I find it incredibly reassuring that there are people who haven't crate trained and it's all worked out. :thumbsup:

Neither - Saki would take herself out to the puppy pad in the laundry to pee in the middle of the night, then put herself back to bed, and I'd chuck out the used puppy pad in the morning.

She was able to last through the night at a very young age. And she's never ever gone #2 in the house.

Maybe I just got lucky :thumbsup: