Ear Care... To Pull Or Not To Pull

redangel

ok we are not talking pulling ears, but ear hair. I have owned poodles for 20 yrs and well have always pulled hair from the ear to 'keep them clean'. I had my fair share of irritant ears. With my current poodles (not currently shown) I trim the ear hair to clear them up- less fuss, less ear hassles with inflammation. What is the current opinion (I have had differing vet opinions) do you pluck or less is best?

We pluck those that need it.With many off the poodles we groom alot dont have extreme hair & scissoring removes it all.

We groom a standard who has the hairiest ears possible.

yes many vets are saying dont pluck & a few of our puppy buyers /clients have followed this advice ,only for them to phone us wondering how to stop the ear infections.Our breed is well known for very hairy ears & plucking is amust

Vets advice knock the dog out & flush .wonder why they say dont pluck :cry: .

Obviously any groomer or the likes that pluck MUST also follow good hygiene methods with there tools or else ear infections can be created .

Generally speaking, I pluck if there is a problem and recommend NOT plucking if there is not.

Similarly, I recommend cleaning if there is a problem or a history of problems and not cleaning if there are no issues.

I feel that it is possible to both over pluck and over clean, ear hair does serve a purpose but sometimes it's a hinderance. However, I've seen a lot of unhappy ears and dogs who have problems from plucking.

I've seen more problems in dogs who haven't had the ears plucked. Done correctly, plucking shouldn't cause a problem as it is done little and often, so there is air flow into the ear.

There have been some heated debates on here before on just this question.

I'm not a groomer but...

I pluck my bichon's ears, and he really needs it. When he was young I didn't do it enough and he had several ear infections in his first few years. I've now kept his ears clear for many years, no more infections. In his case it's a clear case - must be done. It also helps to stay on top of any grass seeds etc before they go anywhere bad.

I also lightly pluck my poodle x's ears, having learnt the hard way with my bichon. But to be honest there is a LOT less hair in her ears and she has never had any problems. I do hers as a precaution.

I would say look at your dogs ears often and if they are getting hairy and blocked then pull it out. Ear infections are no fun for the dog.