Help - I Have A Snake In My Yard

GoldenWei

Sorry, am in a bit of a panic at the moment.

For the last couple of days Indy has been giving these barks like there is a storm coming, I now know why, I think I just saw a red bellied black snake slither underneath the BBQ cover, its in a separate yard to the dogs but it could easily get under the gate. All animals are now inside... I have no idea what I am mean't to do or who to call.... Anyone got any ideas..... We've only been here since April last year, the two people I know in the area aren't home.

Edited by GoldieGirl

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay calm, don't panic. Move the dogs somewhere safe. close all access point to the house, try to keep an eye on where it is & google, or look ing the phonebook for snake removalists or wildlife handlers in your area. Your local vet clinic, or govermnent environment department should know. Do not attempt to remove it yourself, or do anything that may antagonise it.

ETA when we get dugites or tigers in the yard I jus hose them off into the bush, but we are pretty much rural with no one to come help.

Edited by Willow

Sorry, am in a bit of a panic at the moment.

For the last couple of days Indy has been giving these barks like there is a storm coming, I now know why, I think I just saw a red bellied black snake slither underneath the BBQ cover, its in a separate yard to the dogs but it could easily get under the gate. All animals are now inside... I have no idea what I am mean't to do or who to call.... Anyone got any ideas..... We've only been here since April last year, the two people I know in the area aren't home.

You can get a snake catcher out - ring your parks and wildlife department for further information.

As an short term solution you can try hosing it to get it away.

call your local council who will refer you to the local "snake collector"... he may charge you for his services, as they have to relocate the animals quite a distance away from their original area. try to keep an eye on where it goes, so you can tell the person who comes to find it where it likes to hide.

Depends where you live but we had them all the time in our yard in Samford in Queensland, basically I kept the dogs inside for the evening and the snake was gone by morning. If you have them in your area they will always be around but you can ring your National Parks and wild life and they will put you in touch with someone to remove it at your cost if you prefer.

But if you have them in your area in large numbers they will often just come back. We had a marsh beside the house yard and they just went back into the marsh by themselves.

Kath

From a previous post
We have moved to the Hawkesbury district,

Your yellow pages will have wildlife numbers to call.

Thanks, will try that. I am trying to keep an eye on the BBQ I looked underneath (from inside the house) and I can't see it, so I hope its still there, I'd rather know where it is than not at all. Thank god I am home!

Our local snake catcher is actually listed in the phone book under 'snake catcher', but before we found him there we had been onto the local branch of WIRES, and they gave us his number.

Advice from the snake catcher was if you seen a snake turn the hose on it. The snakes don't like the pressure of the water and will move away from it, so you can sort of push it in the direction that you want it to go with the water. Not very helpful in an enclosed backyard though.

Don't antagonise the snake (obviously!), but try and keep an eye on where it was in case it moves. You don't want to have a sake in your backyard and not able to find it.

Our local snake catcher is actually listed in the phone book under 'snake catcher', but before we found him there we had been onto the local branch of WIRES, and they gave us his number.

Advice from the snake catcher was if you seen a snake turn the hose on it. The snakes don't like the pressure of the water and will move away from it, so you can sort of push it in the direction that you want it to go with the water. Not very helpful in an enclosed backyard though.

Don't antagonise the snake (obviously!), but try and keep an eye on where it was in case it moves. You don't want to have a sake in your backyard and not able to find it.

Yeah, that's exactly right... I want to know where it is. I think I will leave it where it is at the moment. The only place I want it to go is OUT of the yard!

This is from Tatelina' sig

Free Snake Relocation in Sydney

Call David

0422 924 629

Thanks Winterpaws, I have called these guys:

Sydney Metropolitan Wildlife Services found them on google. Waiting for a call back from the snake catcher, I don't want to waste David's time if these other guys can come out today.

This has inspired me! I've now looked up the numbers for my local snake catchers and put them in my phone! Hope they can get rid of your visitor GoldieGirl, i almost had a heart attack when i saw a snake slithering past sophie on her 2nd day with us! Amazingly she just barked at it twice then ignored it, and it was just a tree snake, but still *SHUDDER*

unfortunately my two boys like to chase Blue Tongue Lizards, They will bark at them, it may have something to do with the Blue Tongues hissing and spitting at them once they do, But Phoenix will go for them if they do that. They ran up to the fence and watched it for a second and then ran down to the gate, this is where I noticed what the hell it was. They didn't bark at it at all... but Indy has been giving these barks like there is a thunderstorm coming (he hates thunderstorms) every once and a while for the past two days, I started to think he was going senile cause there aint no thunderstorms.

yeah it can be a bugger if your dogs not snake wise, my dog bolts if she sees a snake, lizards and things she is ok around and isnt worried she knows the difference. It must be some kind of built in instinct in her.

editing; there is some sort of electronic snake repeller thing around that is suposed to keep snakes away where it is plugged in. But it might keep Blues and goannas away too?

Edited by GeckoTree

There was chicken wire, but with fairly small holes around the fenceline, but Phoenix ripped a piece off, no idea why, there must of been something on the otherside of the fence. I replaced it but they are big squares which could easily let a snake of this size in, if it was a baby I wouldn't be so worried, but I think its an adult. The previous owners said they have had a baby red belly here, but thats it. Doesn't help when the neighbours behind us (where the big hole is) don't keep their grass short. The other side have horses & goats so its usually pretty short.

editing; there is some sort of electronic snake repeller thing around that is suposed to keep snakes away where it is plugged in. But it might keep Blues and goannas away too?

I have been thinking about the snake repeller thing, atleast in the smaller yard where the dogs are kept when we aren't home. The bluey was at our last house in the burbs. The only lizard I have seen here is a frilly, and damn it was fast. No chance the dogs getting to that.