Help - I Have A Snake In My Yard

GoldenWei

editing; there is some sort of electronic snake repeller thing around that is suposed to keep snakes away where it is plugged in. But it might keep Blues and goannas away too?

I have been thinking about the snake repeller thing, atleast in the smaller yard where the dogs are kept when we aren't home. The bluey was at our last house in the burbs. The only lizard I have seen here is a frilly, and damn it was fast. No chance the dogs getting to that.

Whilst you are waiting for help, play a Boom box loud with thumpy music and have the boom box on the ground, between the house and the area the snake is. they hate the vibration and often leave an area. Not 100% sure if it will work, but cheap and worth a try.

We are Rural too..........We have peacocks, geese and guinea fowl to keep them away :thumbsup: Our geese have killed snakes and if they should get bitten it is not so traumatic loosing a goose

Edited by newfsie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

editing; there is some sort of electronic snake repeller thing around that is suposed to keep snakes away where it is plugged in. But it might keep Blues and goannas away too?

I have been thinking about the snake repeller thing, atleast in the smaller yard where the dogs are kept when we aren't home. The bluey was at our last house in the burbs. The only lizard I have seen here is a frilly, and damn it was fast. No chance the dogs getting to that.

Whilst you are waiting for help, play a Boom box loud with thumpy music and have the boom box on the ground, between the house and the area the snake is. they hate the vibration and often leave an area. Not 100% sure if it will work, but cheap and worth a try.

We are Rural too..........We have peacocks, geese and guinea fowl to keep them away :thumbsup: Our geese have killed snakes and if they should get bitten it is not so traumatic loosing a goose

Lol, geese huh. Not sure how the dogs would react to that!

Boom box may work, but then I'd rather have someone take it away then have it slither away only to come back again.

THe best fencing for keeping snakes out is colorbond type fencing that is buried in the ground about a foot (so they can't go under it. If you have a small yard and are in a snake area it's worth investing in a proper fence. But if you're like me with a huge block and no budget to colorbond fence the lot then it's a little trickier.

I generally just keep the dogs inside during snake mating season (ie now) unless I'm outside with them. I will also check around the yard before I let them out and there's a few places where I can check for snake "tracks" to see if they're around.

Mostly they use my place as a shortcut/thoroughfare to the creek behind me and have no reason to hang around my house so I just leave them be. Unfortunately my neighbours will kill them on sight tho.

I've tried to get snake catchers out in the past and unless the snake's in the house they won't come out. One guy only came out 'cause he was worried my then cat would hurt the snake. We're now on acreage and have had a number of visits from snakes (previous owner lost a dog to brown snake :thumbsup: ) and I've learnt to bring the dogs in and wait until the snake's moved on - luckily most of them have been harmless green snakes :rofl:

Hmmm I've never seen a green snake :thumbsup: Sounds lovely! Mine are all tigers and browns. But they really don't want to confront people and dogs etc if they can avoid it.

I've had one that I came across when I first moved in, just a metre or so from my back door. A beautiful black snake with a red belly. It was just a couple of feet in front of me before I saw it and stopped dead! My two dogs had run out onto the right side lawn ahead of me and missed seeing it (thank Dog). I called them to me and held their collars and we all stood very still. THe snake looked at us (it was side on) and then moved away very slowly keeping it's eye on us all the way. Frightening but sort of beautiful at the same time - but clear to me the snake did NOT want to attack - he/she just wanted to be left alone. The snake eventually went out the front fence and on it's merry way - but that's why I check carefully now before I let the dogs out this time of year.

The first guy I called lives the next subrub over, he's very close, he would of come out but he has kids at home so couldn't do it til tomorrow. Still waiting on a call back from wires. I also tried David, but his phone went to voicemail. I haven't left a message.

We have dams everywhere around here, one in both next door neighbours, and a massive one across the road. No idea why this snake would bother coming here when there are dams everywhere else.

I still think its hiding in the BBQ somewhere, one of my cats keeps going over to the window (the BBQ is directly outside it), he is very worried about something. Meanwhile I am trying to toilet train a puppy and I am too scared to let any of them out for a toilet break, needless to say, we have had two accidents so far!

Edited by GoldieGirl

I once had this wire on the Pigeon Lofts the squares are tiny about 1 cent or at max 5c Piece

DID Not keep the snakes out :thumbsup:

found a red belly curled up in the loft one day and another time a Brown ! :rofl:

Really!!! I have bought similar wire to put along the bottom of the fenceline. Have only done about half of one of the yards. The snake came through the other yard. bugger, there goes my bright idea.

thx for the PM too

It will probably go away over night. They seem to be on the move, two weeks ago I had a red belly in my veggie patch.He was more frightened than me. Think he was after the mice in the compost bin, anyway haven't seen him since even though I have been looking thank goodness. Two days ago a big goanna was in the yard, now I know why my cat has been staying in.

Pepper took of after it and did it run ...

if it was a baby I wouldn't be so worried, but I think its an adult.

Just noting this - baby snakes are still just as dangerous as adults!!! - due to the fact (so I'm told) that babies don't know how to regulate the amount of venom they inject - so they inject all of it - whereas adults generally keep some for "back up".....

Anyways - whether this is true or not - babies still produce the same type of venom - so are still very dangerous!!!

Well I couldn't get anyone to come out until today, but someone is coming at 10am, I spoke to them yesterday and said look it may of moved but it would be great if you can check the BBQ anyway. He said he'd come and check it and all the places he thinks it might hide.

Well it has moved. It is now sitting in between the sliding doors (screen door and glass door), in the dogs yards. I am so glad the dogs sleep inside. No idea when it got there, but I must of walked past it a couple of times last night and this morning when taking the dogs out for a toilet break. Dogs don't even know its there.

Guess I should be worried about all snakes, even the baby ones!

Oooh :laugh:

Try not to disturb it and it will perhaps most likely be where it is when the snake guy comes out.

They are very beautiful (even though they give me the heebies). Pity they are so venomous and therefore dangerous to our genetically curious dogs.

I just leave them beand stay well away, not much I can do about them as they feed on the frogs. And i like the frogs around.

Don't tell me that! I'm petrified of snakes and we get lots of frogs here. I haven't seen a snake yet though...but now you'll have me worried! Yesterday I was sitting out back (in my suburban yard) and a hawk came flying down and took off with a frog! :laugh:

Oooh :laugh:

Try not to disturb it and it will perhaps most likely be where it is when the snake guy comes out.

They are very beautiful (even though they give me the heebies). Pity they are so venomous and therefore dangerous to our genetically curious dogs.

Don't worry, last thing I want to do is disturb it. I agree, they are very beautiful, I came across a green tree snake once while in the bush, it just slithered away, I wasn't nearly as freaked out about it as what I am about this one. Something about there is a dangerous creature that could kill my dogs hanging around has me very nervous.