Should I Get A Furminator

Boronia

Not that I'm the same Smooth Collie person, but I have one for mine. I'm a little so-so on the Furminator. It does get a fair amount of coat out, but I think it leaves the top coat a little rough to touch in patches. I guess that suggests its cutting it unevenly sometimes. I prefer a basic wire rake brushy thing unless she's actually shifting a lot of coat.

Cat seems to love it, but she likes all brushing, she's a tart.

Thanks for the offer Cockerlover, I will find out more info about the Coat King from some westie people but I think I will stick with the rake and the comb as Crazy Daisy suggested as it seems to get out most of the fine fluffy stuff, I just have to keep at it...every two days instead of three days now I reckon.

The little guys don't get a bath very often, I take them for a paddle, then get them have a little swim which they don't like much unless the day has been really hot and the water is really warm...(they originated in Scotland for Heavens sake, what big girls blouses they are!), they get a rinse when they get home and a towel dry and brush ...do you think that I should get a hair-dryer, does it make brushing easier?

I am the very lucky lady whom got GayleK's furminator and I LOVE IT, it is the best grooming tool I have ever used. I have never found anything that removes the coat like this when they are shedding. I have been so busy using it on 4 smooth collies blowing coat I havent had time to rave about it here. I also have one girl whom has a cowlick type issue in her collar and it fixed it.

LOVE my furminator. HATE the coat king - it cuts the hair which I don't like. The Furminator leaves my girls (2cats and 1 GSD) all feeling lovely and they all love being brushed with it because it gets out all those itchy little undercoat hairs. I've started carrying mine in my houndbag for when people ask about it so they can give it a go, and everyone that's tried it has bought one of their own.

And I got it for $20 on ebay with free postage :laugh:

My Trixie is Malt X Westie and I bought my Medium Furminator from eBay. $20 bucks something. And believe me it works. I got a bucket of fur from her. She looks cooler and much happier since. It even worked on my Chihuahua's, not that they needed it, but Marshall, fabulous and he doesn't shed as much now.

Last time, about 2 weeks ago, I was in the Pet Stock store and they were promoting the Furminator for $49.95 for the medium. Not sure if they will let you try one before you buy.

OK...I give in.... :laugh: ....I have bought the medium furminator $18.95 with free postage (goodie!) from a person on Oztion Auctions, for that price I will give it a go.

Thanks for your post Tiffany Amber, if it's not much good I can give it to Mary... I am minding her little westie/malteezer, Rosie, while she is in Africa.

I'll let you guys know how it goes on the little guys.

Ok, ebay it is. :laugh:

It sounds like its good on short haired dogs with undercoats- what about a Goldie?

What size would I need?

(sorry for hijacking your thread Boronia!! :cheer: )

I have a furminator for my goldie. It is really great! I started off with a slicker brush and a comb, which do remove some hair, but have found ther furminator is the best at removing the dead hair.

Mine is a large which I bought on ebay. I also upgraded to a "deluxe furminator" (also from ebay from the US, you can see what it looks like on the www.furminator.com). It arrived two days ago and is even better than the the usual one. It has a button that automatically removes the hair from the comb section which saves time and effort. For me it means I don't need to remove it from the brush with the hand I am usually holding my puppy with, which means that an escaping puppy chasing and eating the hair thats flying all around him is almost a memory, although it is very funny! :cheer:

Also, I don't need to press very hard on his coat. I find that a gentle brushing action removes HEAPS, and it is better off in the bin than rolling around my house like tumbleweed. :thumbsup:

Ok, ebay it is. :D

It sounds like its good on short haired dogs with undercoats- what about a Goldie?

What size would I need?

(sorry for hijacking your thread Boronia!! :wave: )

I have a furminator for my goldie. It is really great! I started off with a slicker brush and a comb, which do remove some hair, but have found ther furminator is the best at removing the dead hair.

Mine is a large which I bought on ebay. I also upgraded to a "deluxe furminator" (also from ebay from the US, you can see what it looks like on the www.furminator.com). It arrived two days ago and is even better than the the usual one. It has a button that automatically removes the hair from the comb section which saves time and effort. For me it means I don't need to remove it from the brush with the hand I am usually holding my puppy with, which means that an escaping puppy chasing and eating the hair thats flying all around him is almost a memory, although it is very funny! :)

Also, I don't need to press very hard on his coat. I find that a gentle brushing action removes HEAPS, and it is better off in the bin than rolling around my house like tumbleweed. :o

Thanks Kat1- thats an excellent recommendation! :eek:

Getting on ebay asap!

im a dog groomer and i work in a boarding kennels... we have a furminator... IMO:

Works on labs, GSD, beagles and pugs, those kinds of coats and cats - if u can get near em lol, broken coats are a little harder with the furminator.

Basically test it first i dont think a westie has the right coat for it to be honest i would contact other breeders and see what they use and maybe if there is someone u know that has one u can pop in for a test drive??... it is really good... but only on certain coats... i brought a ebay special thinking it was going to be the bees knees... was a little disapointed... but when it works... it really works... the beagle lost 5 kgs after her strip out LOL and labs... my god its a godsend i swear lol

does anyone have a chris christensen pin brush? they are very $$ but i am told they are excellent and well worth it

Yes I do, and yes it's very good and the pins don't fall out like they do on the cheaper brushes. It gets right through the Aussies thick undercoats.