New Dog In House Think Our Existing Dog Is Feeling A Bit Down

swazzie

We got a second dog just over a week ago. She is a rescue Lab 14 mths. We have a18 mth Lab caled Bru

As soon as we brought her home they hit it off and it was like she has always been here

They played together outside and there is no agression but they do play rough- we weren't overly concerned with this as labs do like a bit of rough and tumble especially with another lab( just my opinion/expierence with our guy)

Chloe seems to be smitten with Bru and follows him everywhere and he has been very cute with her- very gentle as he is bigger.

All was good until last couple of days.

Bru seems to suddenly be depressed( for want of a better description) and wants to be alone alot.

To explain he is normally very smoochy and loves our company- outside the house he loves meeting other dogs but home he is at our feet or sitting with one of us.

My worry is she is a bit rough with him, she sort of chews his face and at first i wasn't concerned but there is holes and marks on his cheeks and i'm wondering if it's getting to much for him.

He is very gentle and would never snap back and i don't see it as them fighting, its just her teeth are a bit sharp( we will give her bones to help with this, as am sure she has never had any/many)

Last couple of nights while he initally seemd ok out on our walks and at the park he doesn't seem to want to be in the same room as Chloe at home.

She does follow him everywhere and that seems to make him worse- he just sort of saunders off and curls up by himself.

We make sure and give them individual attention as well as attention togther so as no one feels left out

Should i be worried? Or am i just being an idiot and all will be fine once they settle in?

I've no idea how to stop her chewing his face during the day-we don't allow it inside as we encourage calm inside behaviour.

Just to be clear she is in her permanent home, we love her, just trying to figure out if this is just a settling in stage.

Also i do not want to seperate them during the day.

He's not ill as when alone with me he is same as he always has been. I've checked both of them of ticks/ bites etc

Edited by swazzie

Might be worth a trip to the vets as he MAY be sick...IMO depressed dogs are sick dogs but then again maybe he is just exhausted from the interaction with Chloe. Are you able to separate them while you are not at home??? This may give him some much needed time out if he is just exhausted.

We have a big open back yard so seperate areas may be an issue( will think about it though)

DH reeckons it may be that he is knackered and just wants a break when we are home

When we arrive home they are just togther out the back no trouble ,it seems to mainy be once we get home from the walk/ park

I think tiredness could def be a possibility. Did you take Chloe for a vet check already ? If you haven't maybe take her along and explain Bru's situation.

Maybe Bru's just not really used to this level of play and the first few days he may have been in such a state of excitement that he 'forgot' to be tired -- and now it's catching up with him.

Archie sleeps for at least a day after kennel stays -- young labs just don't know when to stop sometimes - until their bodies tell them enough's enough.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

We are taking Chloe for a vet check up tomorow and i'll ask him about Bru.

He did have a full check up the week before we got her and all was really good.

We were away over xmas for a month and he stayed with a family who have a Golden Retriever same age and he was ok, however i am going to find out if he was like this after the first couple of week. He was compltely normal when we brought him home( just over a month ago)

I am thinking it prob is tiredness, think we'll shorten the walks for a few days see if that helps

I am wondering should i be worried about the face chewing- should i put anything on the marks?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post and quick update- thanks to those who replied

Things have settled down so much in last couple of weeks

We cut back the evening walks a bit and there was an improvememt straight away in him

Poor guy was knackered from the laps with Chloe during the day and then our walks in the evening

We are gradually increasing the amount of evening exercise again as we like the dogs to be fit and happy

Both are very happy with each other now, face chewing has stopped and scars are almost gone.

We introduced bones to Chloe- poor thing didn't know what to do wth first one- she's over that now :vomit::eek:

Bru is a happy boy once again who loves Chloe- they are rarely apart these days- think he realised she is here to stay and not a visit :eek:

Thanks

S