Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia

peacefrog

Thank you so much Dyzney for keeping the topic updated. I have been coping okay but am feeling completely drained!!! This disease is a marathon, there is so much going on , the progress is so up and down eacy and every day and there is so much information to get my head around. I feel I'm not doing so great understanding the complete in's and out's but people like Dyzney and other sources online are breaking it down for me.

The vet suspects Esmay has Evan's Syndrome, which is where ITP & AIHA both occur. Where we are at today is Esmay has had her 7th blood transfusion; She still has very little platelets and her red cells aren't holding between transfusions. They are going to do a bone marrow biopsy today to see if the cells are being produced and are still just being killed off, or if nothing is happening at all. (In which case, I don't know what happens then - is that it? does that mean red cells will never be produced?.)

The vet isn't very happy with her decline across the weekend and thinks she should have progressed more by now. She is being started on a new drug this afternoon - which I will supply the name of when I find out.

I have forwarded my vet an email I received from Dr Jean Dodd's who suggested they start her on a thyroid hormone treatment as well as an indepth article she wrote on this disease. I'm not sure if this will provide any new information but I figure nothing ventured nothing gained.

I am also thinking of suggesting they put her on a Milk Thistle supplement to aid in protecting her liver from all the treatments she is receiving, alot of owner's start their pets on it after the intial treatment but I'm wondering if it can be started whilst she is in the midst of this serious treatment??

I am really willing to try anything, no matter how silly it may seem at this point in time.

Thanks for updating us again pf.

You must be absolutely buggered.

I know our vets didn't not want Dyzney given anything herbal or different, just in case it set her immune system red flagging again, but perhaps yours will say differently, about the milk thistle I mean. I wanted to give Manuka Honey, but as she had never had it before, they just said a very firm NO. But nothing is silly pf.

I told you that I spent many hrs doing spiritual healing on Dyzney and meditated when I was at home. I will never know if it helped pull her through, but none of it can hurt. I did so much sole searching during that time it was incredible. a real growth period for me.

Forgive me if I am wrong here pf, but the biopsy is to look for bone marrow cancer, which would explain why she would not be reproducing the cells. From the biopsy they can get a positive reading that will be definite or a negative reading that can be inconclusive.

If she has got BMC, then they will talk to you about this, but really it would be best just to give Esmay her wings at that point as she is not likely to get better. If they get a negative reading, they keep soldiering on and looking for another primary, until Esmay's levels start picking up.

I think Dyzney had 2 biopsies over period of a week, just in case it was going to appear positive the 2nd time whe it did not the first. She was negative each time.

If there is no primary to be found, it just takes time. Hang in there peacefrog and Esmay.

My best wishes to you both.

:D

Edited by dyzney

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou so much Dyzney for taking the time to answer my question. I suppose it just happened so quickly for me, from the time he fell deathly ill to the day he was put to rest, that it left a lot of questions unanswered.

Peacefrog, I am praying that your girl really starts to pick up. I have heard of Evans Disease on the UK group I am on. If you dont know about the group, please join. They are an absolute wealth of knowledge and are incredibly supportive. CIDMA Support

peacefrog, I am still in shock from your email. I am crying so hard for you and little Esmay. :laugh::(

I am so so sorry it ended this way. I have been praying so much that Esmay would get well pf. Your wonderful vets could not have done anymore.

Run free little Esmay. Be free from pain and illness. Make friends with all our lost companions and play together in doggie heaven. :laugh:

pf, please call me if you want to.

So sorry to hear about your loss. May she run free.

Years ago I had a sibe who was diagnosed with this terrible disease. Her blood platlets crashed to 60 over niight. She went on steroids for a while which seemed to stabilise her, before she crashed again.

We only had two weeks before she was no longer with us. I know your pain. So sorry to hear of yours and groupfive's loss within such a short period of each other. Miko was only 3 when she died.

Oh Peacefrog :laugh:

I feel sick to my stomach, I am so sorry that you lost little Esmay. I had never heard of these immune diseases until now and I pray we never have to go through this again.

I know that no words will bring back your girl, but I am thinking of you and know what you are going through. Im so sorry :laugh:

Peacefrog, I was deeply saddened to read your post this morning.

Please find some peace in the fact you have done everything you possibly could to help your little girl.

These sorts of diseases can be very incidious and heartbreaking.

RIP little Esmay run free over the rainbow bridge full of energy and vitality once more. You will missed greatly and mourned deeply.

Hugs to all

Thanks again everyone, thanks layka that is so nice of you :laugh:

Esmay was needing sometimes 2 transfusions to get her through each day, so in the end the dropping red cell count became the bigger problem. The vet suggests it was "Evan's Syndrome" which is where ITP and AIHA occur simultaneously.

Saturday was a very bad night, they rang at 6pm to tell us she was bleeding heavily and they were having trouble getting her stable. After processing this, we called back and asked them if we should start thinking about letting her go - that night was long and horrible - however she came good again and then had a really good day on Sunday. Such is the nature of this disease, the highs and lows are incredible.

On Tuesday we received back the results of the bone marrow biopsy and it showed she wasn't producing any red cells at all, there was also other things in the biopsy that they couldn't really identify, so there was probably something else going on as well. The day before we were told they were going to start her on a new drug, so when they phoned on Tuesday to tell us the results of the biopsy we decided that we would give her 2 more days to see if this new drug worked, however when my partner and my dad went to see the vet to tell him this Esmay was in a bad way, bleeding from the nose, bloody diarrhea and they didn't have any spots left to draw blood etc so they made the choice to let her go. The last time I saw her she was comfortable and relaxed, so even though I will probably feel guilty in time that I wasn't strong enough to be there to say goodbye, I am glad that my last memory of her is a nice one.

From diagnosis to letting her go it was 8 days! She had 9 blood transfusions, an array of drugs and treatments and she fought every bit of the way but her body just wasn't responding. When the vet put her down he said she was one hard little dog to read, as even on her darkest days her little eyes were alert and following everything that went on.

I miss her so much, and even though this pain has been absolutely horrendous, the happiness she brought into our lives over 4.5 short years just cannot be measured. We had a great few days away, that allowed us to heal a little bit and realise a few things - illness and disease is a fact of life, the important thing is while they are here they had a fantastic life.

Right now I am taking great comfort in the thought of fostering and want to start asap!

Edited by peacefrog

Hi Peacefrog,

About not being there when she was put to rest, I wanted to tell you not to feel bad. I also couldnt be there for my boy when he was put to rest. It was 1am in the morning and the vet asked if I wanted to come in and say a last goodbye, but I would never have left that clinic without him. I let them do it while he was calm and resting in his pen, he wouldnt have even known.

My last memory of my boy was from earlier that day, I spent some time visiting him and when it was time for us to leave he refused to get up for the vet nurse to go back to his pen. But when I stood up, he got up and followed me to his pen....that really broke my heart. He was so ill that day but he still got up for me. I will never forget that last memory, which I think is a nice one, and although sometimes I hate myself for not being there in his last minutes, I have seen the "green dream" been given many times before and it is so fast. At least, like your Esmay, he went when he was comfortable.

Some days I regret giving up on him but then I remind myself of that look in his eye on his last day. He was begging to be set free.

Sorry, im rambling on :laugh:

But I just wanted to say that no matter what, you did the right thing by Esmay and even though you werent there in her last minutes, she knows you loved her very much. You cant do anything now but enjoy the great memories.

Thanks again everyone, thanks layka that is so nice of you ;)

Esmay was needing sometimes 2 transfusions to get her through each day, so in the end the dropping red cell count became the bigger problem. The vet suggests it was "Evan's Syndrome" which is where ITP and AIHA occur simultaneously.

Saturday was a very bad night, they rang at 6pm to tell us she was bleeding heavily and they were having trouble getting her stable. After processing this, we called back and asked them if we should start thinking about letting her go - that night was long and horrible - however she came good again and then had a really good day on Sunday. Such is the nature of this disease, the highs and lows are incredible.

On Tuesday we received back the results of the bone marrow biopsy and it showed she wasn't producing any red cells at all, there was also other things in the biopsy that they couldn't really identify, so there was probably something else going on as well. The day before we were told they were going to start her on a new drug, so when they phoned on Tuesday to tell us the results of the biopsy we decided that we would give her 2 more days to see if this new drug worked, however when my partner and my dad went to see the vet to tell him this Esmay was in a bad way, bleeding from the nose, bloody diarrhea and they didn't have any spots left to draw blood etc so they made the choice to let her go. The last time I saw her she was comfortable and relaxed, so even though I will probably feel guilty in time that I wasn't strong enough to be there to say goodbye, I am glad that my last memory of her is a nice one.

From diagnosis to letting her go it was 8 days! She had 9 blood transfusions, an array of drugs and treatments and she fought every bit of the way but her body just wasn't responding. When the vet put her down he said she was one hard little dog to read, as even on her darkest days her little eyes were alert and following everything that went on.

I miss her so much, and even though this pain has been absolutely horrendous, the happiness she brought into our lives over 4.5 short years just cannot be measured. We had a great few days away, that allowed us to heal a little bit and realise a few things - illness and disease is a fact of life, the important thing is while they are here they had a fantastic life.

Right now I am taking great comfort in the thought of fostering and want to start asap!

Thanks groupfive ;) At first I had felt cheated in a way because on the Saturday when she suddenly declined I was ready to do it and be there for her but those extra few days after just really wore me down and I must have started to feel that she wouldn't be coming home so it gave me the opportunity to shut it all out.

I hope your holding up okay. It was after your boy passed that it really hit me how serious this was and that I could lose Esmay too. Not that I would wish this on any one in a million years, but I'm glad that we went through it together at the same time. Along with the support of other's like Dyzney, Bokezu and others who lost their dogs to this damn disease, it was a comfort to have that :laugh:

:laugh: :D ;) to you two. You're right - it does help to know that others have been down that path - I spent the last night I had my Sam home researching IMHA on the net - and so I knew that he was in deep trouble. Still wasn't ready for him to die the next morning - I guess we never are. It was worse for you two, as your darling dogs were so young. I'd had 12 great years with Sam.

Hang in there, knowing that no-one could have done more for your dogs than you two did. And knowing that you will be a source of great strength and comfort when some other poor DOLer is going through the same thing. It's one of the great strengths of the odg community.