Leaving Your Doggie Overnight

mrs tornsocks

We own a young lab (10 months) and recently have had to spend a bit of time back and forth away from home for various reasons (holidays/work committments). We've had him stay in a combination of places, a DOLers kind and loving house with another lab, and also at kennels. He must be a bit broken :laugh: because on the whole, he's very mature for a lab.

Yesterday it was OH's 40th b'day and I'd booked an overnight stay in the city for us. OH suggested that since we were leaving late in the arvo/evening, and back early in the morning, Archie would be okay alone. We fed him, I went next door and asked the nice next door neighbour to look out for him (she had my phone number and her bedroom runs alongside the side of our house). We left about 5pm and I got back about 8.30am this morn. The neighbours also have builders atm so they need to access the side of our house now and then.

When I got home, he was up the side of the house, 'helping' the builder measure a piece of wood. When he saw me, he went ballistic and was so happy he did all his many dances and barking. He settled down, we had brekky and a nice play and he's been sleeping and hanging happily in the house since.

I just feel so guilty that he spent all that time alone and I need to get it off my chest.

Am I stupid, normal or mean ?

Edited by mrs tornsocks

LOL not stupid.

I don't think that many people like to leave their dogs overnight by themselves but sometimes you just gotta do it.

If you're looking at doing it on-going you may want to look into doing some Jan Fennel methods so your coming and going isn't met with balistic home coming....that ballistic home coming is a form of anxiety which you can reduce :laugh:

I'll get flamed for this I'm sure...

How is that different to feeding your dog at dinner time and then not seeing it again until feed time in the morning, besides the fact that yes you are in the house 'if' something was to happen, but you had that covered by letting your neighbour know who you obviously trust otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

You made sure you had everything covered, sure feel guilty but I think that's only because you love your dog and want what is best. I've heard of some people on here leaving their dogs for days with only the neighbours checking and feeding them, no other contact...

Don't feel guilty :D

As far as I'm concerned, if a dog has everything they need and are set up for the night (which I'm sure you did) it's completely fine. The time you were away would have basically been when you would normally be sleeping, anyway. :laugh:

I'll get flamed for this I'm sure...

How is that different to feeding your dog at dinner time and then not seeing it again until feed time in the morning, besides the fact that yes you are in the house 'if' something was to happen, but you had that covered by letting your neighbour know who you obviously trust otherwise you wouldn't have done it.

I guess it's mostly because he's only 10 months, although quite mature, and he normally sleeps inside, so it was a sudden 'change' for him. He does spend plenty of time outside but almost always inside when we're home.

LOL not stupid.

I don't think that many people like to leave their dogs overnight by themselves but sometimes you just gotta do it.

If you're looking at doing it on-going you may want to look into doing some Jan Fennel methods so your coming and going isn't met with balistic home coming....that ballistic home coming is a form of anxiety which you can reduce :laugh:

I'll have to look this up sas, thanks. We do ignore him initially and stay very calm when we first come home, give him pats about 5 minutes later when he's normal again. His regular behaviour after we've been out for a few hours is a massive lab bum waggle/wag and sometimes little grunty noises, or collecting a toy/leaf/bark/stick for his in his mouth. He generally doesn't jump etc

When I got home, he was up the side of the house, 'helping' the builder measure a piece of wood.

I loved that bit, how he was learning some carpentry skills in your absence.

I think it's a good idea to get dogs used to spending time without you, right from the time they're young.

It helps if you have good neighbours, like we do. We look after each others dogs, if someone's going to be away for a whole day or overnight.

The dogs have got very used to this.

When the folk next door are off to the airport, they just pop Lily the tib over the fence & she knows what to do. She runs up our back steps & gives a 'Yip!' thro' the grille door.

She's here right now because her 'mum' was called away to NSW due to a family illness & her 'dad' had to go to work. Stretched out sleeping!

When I got home, he was up the side of the house, 'helping' the builder measure a piece of wood.

I loved that bit, how he was learning some carpentry skills in your absence.

I think it's a good idea to get dogs used to spending time without you, right from the time they're young.

It helps if you have good neighbours, like we do. We look after each others dogs, if someone's going to be away for a whole day or overnight.

The dogs have got very used to this.

When the folk next door are off to the airport, they just pop Lily the tib over the fence & she knows what to do. She runs up our back steps & gives a 'Yip!' thro' the grille door.

She's here right now because her 'mum' was called away to NSW due to a family illness & her 'dad' had to go to work. Stretched out sleeping!

:eek: Oh yes, he is a great little helper. He sniffs around for a while, then usually plonks himself right in the middle of the 'job'. He 'helped' OH & I put together a killer Ikea piece the other day and then flopped down on the instructions and over all the screws etc.

The next door neighbour did actually offer to take him over her place right at the end -- I think she felt bad she hadn't offered at the start. But she has a rescue doggie, a senior miniature poodle, and Archie loves his plays, so would be a bit of a handful with the little oldie so I said thanks but too much hassle for you.

That's such a great arrangement you have with your neighbour, and sounds super cute !! I love the description of him running through the door.

I'm sure more people leave their dogs overnight than care to admit it. It's really not all that much different to leaving them to go to work each day or if people went out all night partying till the late hours on a Saturday night.

I feel horribly guilty on the rare occasions when I have to leave them alone overnight, but I'm lucky that I have two dogs to keep each other company. There is always two marks in the doona where they have slept in my bed overnight :eek: THey are always so happy to see me home the next day though.

I figure that as long as they are walked, fed and watered then one night alone occasionally won't hurt.

I've left the dog from 6am til think it was just after 8pm and both of us were in another state for the day (dog didn't seem too fussed but then she was probably asleep all day - was worse when we got back late one night and it was after her feed time)-was unavoidable at the time. There was a backup plan in case the plane didn't work out though.

I had to make an emergency trip away 3 weeks ago. I could take 2 dogs with me but I left 2 home, on their own from Thursday night until Sunday afternoon. I had a friend come in and feed them and the next door neighbour had my phone number and my friends number for "just in case". (and a key to the house) It wasn't ideal but we all survived.

Edited by Rebanne

We left the boy by himself overnight in January and it nearly killed me with worry.

Realistically I don't see anything wrong with it as long as your dog has shade, warmth, food and water (2 water bowls is a good idea incase one gets knocked over), but personally I don't think I could do it again with Claude, he's so much like a child to me and I felt so guilty about it.

I also make sure that our side gate is padlocked at all times as I am petrified of someone entering and either leaving the gate open or taking him :(

He was perfectly fine when we returned but for me I couldn't do it again unless it was a real emergency.

I don't think you should feel worried about it, it's a personal choice and you did all the right things :rofl:

Thanks everyone.

I would really like to find a trusting dog minder in our area, I'm not sure I could do it again.

We have some great dogsitting options but they're mostly out of Sydney -- and he had a little cold when he came back from kennels last week (which was partly why I didn't put him in last night).

Mine stays home alone a couple of nights a week when I stay at my boyfriends. I sometimes take him but that means they have to lock there cat in the laundry, and I just don't feel thats fair on the cat...

Anyway...

The only time I feel too bad to do it is when I have been at work all day. I can't justify leaving him at night to be with my boy lover if my dog lover has been alone all day, but I think if they get enough love and excercise during the day, then there is really no problem