Advice Needed

kirsty79

Weird start to the morning and I'm sitting here at my desk worrying.

Jessie is our 12yr cross breed (don't know what, a bit of collie I think) from a rescue shelter. When we are preparing her food she normally has a little chat. She woo woo's, gets all excited, hops from one paw to the other. This morning doing her breakfast she is nowhere to be seen. I go out to the garden and she is frantically walking around. 3 times she sits and then gets straight back up again and paces. Her ears are flat back against the side of her head and she is panting as though its 40c. I coax her inside, and stoke her. Her body is cool but her skull is hot. Literally felt like a radiator. This really sent me into a panic. She got up, her tail wagged a couple of times, we put her food down and she ate it.

I always kind of though the best way of telling if a dog isn’t well is if they are not interested in there food but maybe I was wrong. Something isn’t right, I just can’t put my finger on it. We had to go to work, she is normally at the patio door giving her sad puppy dog eyes but as I locked the front door she was nowhere to be seen. I finish work at 1pm and have booked her in at the vets for this afternoon.

Do the symptoms sound like she is uncomfortable or in pain?

Edited by kirsty79

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Jessie isn't feeling well.

The panting, pacing and the hot head is what we notice first about Charlie when he first got sick. It's an indiciation that he is sore/uncomfortable somewhere.

Definitely a vet visit.

ASAP.

Good luck with Jessie. Poor baby.

If you really are that worried... go home now and take her to the vet.

She is your dog and if you feel there is something wrong then there probably is.

Take care.

Edited by baifra

Oh god, I feel awful now. I knew I should have gone with my instincts :( I was positive something wasn’t right and was going to stay off work and take her straight to the vets, but OH thought I was overreacting!!

She and my other dog are outside whilst we are at work (we are gone 8am till 6pm), but it’s a large shaded patio area, along with a big back garden.

I’m torn now, I work about 75 minutes from home, and my job is barely secure atm – but I can’t stand the thought of her being alone if she isn’t well. Trouble is my dogs are like my kids (like so many of the Dolers) but no one at work understands that! They won’t understand my panic to get home.....

Oh god, I feel awful now. I knew I should have gone with my instincts :( I was positive something wasn’t right and was going to stay off work and take her straight to the vets, but OH thought I was overreacting!!

She and my other dog are outside whilst we are at work (we are gone 8am till 6pm), but it’s a large shaded patio area, along with a big back garden.

I’m torn now, I work about 75 minutes from home, and my job is barely secure atm – but I can’t stand the thought of her being alone if she isn’t well. Trouble is my dogs are like my kids (like so many of the Dolers) but no one at work understands that! They won’t understand my panic to get home.....

We so understand your dilemma..the work/home balance. My dogs are my 'kids' and I hate the thought of them falling ill whilst I'm at work...there would never be the sympathy and understanding shown me that there is to people with children....Sorry, bit off topic, but I can empathise with your dilemma sooooo much!

I am so sorry Jessy is not well.......In the newfoundland world that could be taken as an early sign of "bloat" and some dogs, especially rescues, will still eat when they are unwell.

Bloat is like colic is in horses. It can cause rotation of the stomach in large dogs or just blockages in some dogs.

With Symptoms like that I would be visitting the vet. Can you maybe just take her in at lunch time and leave her......Or as i have done in the past go off sick (with worry anyway) and take her in.

Hoping all is well..........

Have you got a friend or family memeber that could access the yard and check on Jessie???

No :laugh: I haven't long been in Australia (I come from the UK) and I don't really know anyone and have no family here.

1pm isn't that far away now....and we're thinking of you and your little Jessie...just hang in there until it's time...

Have you got a friend or family memeber that could access the yard and check on Jessie???

No :laugh: I haven't long been in Australia (I come from the UK) and I don't really know anyone and have no family here.

1pm isn't that far away now....and we're thinking of you and your little Jessie...just hang in there until it's time...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it means alot.

I decided to take a chance at work (hey, who needs a job anyway!) and told them I needed to leave asap and why (I'm a hopeless liar!). Just finishing one last report and then I should be outta here by 12pm. Its going to be a long 1 hour train journey home :( I don't have the internet at home - but I promise I will be back on Monday morning to let you know what happens. Please keep all fingers and paws crossed that my little Jessie girl isn't sick.