Buying A Pup From Another State

kimbo83

Hi guys,

Im from Perth and there are only a few breeders of british bulldogs here. So puppy availabilty is very scare not to mention finding the right colour preference. So I've been searching the web and have found a puppy we like from NSW. We are in the early stages of discussion with the breeder but this is what we know so far.

Puppy is fully papered

Fully vaccinated/wormed and micro chipped

Registered breeder of NSW

Has only one bitch used to breed

All paperwork to show health status

Father is from the line that the Canterbury bulldogs mascot's are from

I'am waiting for additional pictures of him plus of the parents aswell. I am considerung using third party ( Escrow Aust) to hold onto money until I have the puppy. I will be in contact with their vet to confirm and verify health status etc. Is there anything specific that needs to be included in the health check? Hip scores? Is there a breeder ID number they should have to confirm quailty of pups and their conduct etc? Should I be asking for copies of their drivers license and vaccination records, health status, papers of parents etc? Any help greatly appreciated guys.

post-32905-1265445793_thumb.jpg

Edited by kimbo83

Father is from the line that the Canterbury bulldogs mascot's are from

This would mean bugger all in making a decision.

I am considerung using third party ( Escrow Aust) to hold onto money until I have the puppy

This most likely wont work for you & if you wish to do this method inform the breeder now so they can decide if there happy to or not .

Most want there money first ,ensure you have a contract set up before pup is shipped or paid for as too what will happen if the pup isnt what you expected or want.

If it isnt what you want you will have to pay return freight.

I guess the simple reality is if the colour/markings are important & you dont want to wait you will have to take the risk that the breeder is a good one.

Bulldogs are a breed that has suffered highly from scammers.

If you have there prefix you could google & ask around but depending on there rep some will speak up or wont share any info due to people then playing chinese whispers

How long will the wait be in WA??

Has this breeder asked lots of questions of YOU? Was this pup readily available? It wouldn't necessarily mean anything, but I'd always be slightly wary of a breeder with pups readily available - many reputable breeders have long waiting lists and you can wait up to a year or several for the right pup. Not always the case but it CAN BE.

I bought a pup form interstate. I was on a waiting list with the breeder for a month or so, she contacted me when the pups were born and sent me pics of the ones that were the gender, colour and markings I wanted. I made my choice, with the second pup as back up in case the breeder decided to keep my first pick for herself (she ended up keeping the second one).

I knew the breeder only from her website and an Australian Shepherd email list. I had no qualms paying her a deposit when the pup was decided on, then paying the balance and the shipping fee when she was ready to come to us.

We kept in touch by email right through, and I spoke to her on the phone once. The pup came to me with copies of the parents hip scores and eye tests. The pup herself was eye-tested before being sent, as well as vaccinated, m'chipped and wormed. All the things you'd expect.

The paperwork was all attached to the top of the crate she travelled in. I didn't have to ask about it, it came as part of the puppy-buying deal.

Australian Shepherds aren't dogs that are generally used as part of a scam though. I had no reason to doubt that the breeder was genuine as she has bred and shown dogs for many years and has an excellent reputation. She told us everything about the puppy as she was growing, including that she was scared of the vacuum cleaner, and so to get her out and about and used to loud noises (at 2, she is still scared of the lawn mower and that's never going to change).

My puppy was everything I ever wanted and hoped for.

Given my location I have to fly most of my puppies to their new homes without meeting the owners and I can’t say any of them have ever asked that many questions of me or gone as far as to contact my vet. I think I would be a bit insulted to be asked to provide copies of my drivers license. I have no issues at all providing references but as long as they can prove that relevant health tests have been done and the puppy has a health and temperament guarantee the rest isn’t relevant.

Ask to talk to a couple of their puppy buyers from the last litter, you will get a very good feel from that and if you are at all uncertain wait and buy local where you can visit. Colour really isn’t that important.

Has this breeder asked lots of questions of YOU?

The breeder I bought Dusty from didn't ask me much.....just if I still wanted a pup, and when I said yes she asked which one. And then if I wanted the paperwork to travel with pup or posted to me.

The breeder I bought Benson from didn't ask much either, although we spent the afternoon with her so she was able to get to know us a bit. She did ask if I was planning on taking him to obedience but that was about all. And she only wanted to know that cos she thought it might be an option for her to go to if the one she was going to didn't work out.

Neither of them asked any real indepth questions, although Dusty's breeder knew I already had an Aussie.

do they advertise on DOL? I would also go into the bulldog thread and ask some questions.

I've never had a problem with buying interstate- paid the money, dog arrived, no problems. Breeders concerned are well known though, which makes a difference.

I don't ask prospective puppy buyers a lot of questions, but I talk to them long enough to get a feel for them, and what they thought about their last dog/s and what happened to them, which I find more valid.

d

Considering the asking price i would buy a plane ticket & fly over for pick up & final check.Alot cheaper than being stuck with a dud or a lemon.

Bulldogs sadly seem to the it breed for scammers & fly by nights.

I too have brought from east with no issues but we now the people we are buying from or now of them via showing

When we got our girl from interstate, I spoke to lots of breeders, spoke to this particular breeder on the phone, flew down and met her, all her dogs and the puppies and was in regular email contact the entire time. I was emailed copies of the parent's health testing results along with growing up photos of the pups.

I will do the same for every future pup I get interstate and even if I get the pup/s from a breeder I've met before, I would always fly there to have a look at the pups. I know that's not always possible, but I figure in the scheme of things it's worth it.