Dog Is Coughing! Loudly.

cannibalgoldfish

Wylie started coughing yesterday. A whooping dry cough that started on our walk. I thought maybe he was pulling too hard but it didnt go away over night. He seems fine and chirpy but still coughing. Will cough up white foam now and then. I cant see anything in his mouth or throat so we are off to the vet this afternoon to check for kennel cough :) . My question is, does it come on so suddenly? Also, i heard its contagious so I feel kind of bad taking him into a vet waiting room. I hate the thought of him speading things to a room of sick pets. Any good ideas? They must get sick dogs in there all the time. I wont let him approach other dogs in there so is that a good enough precaution? Its a new vet as I have been unhappy with the normal one I go to for quite some time. I feel like a traitor!

I'm taking Loki for a check up too after the last few days of him wimpering and trying to escape. He just seems "off" He just isn't 100 percent lately and I need to find out why.

Yep can come on out of nowhere seemingly. It is HIGHLY contagious so keep him isolated from other dogs. I had a dog who brought it home from the vet - by the time he showed symptoms everyone was exposed so I had a house full. Noone was allowed on the property - and dogs could only go the vet and back. I isolated for 3 1/2 weeks to be on the safe side. Mine were all treated with antibiotics and cough medicine. Expensive but effective.

Yes, it does come on quickly - which I think is why we all wonder if there is something stuck in their throat! I did anyway the first time one of my dogs had it. It was my young boy who got it - we went to the vet and they did nothing thankfully.

I gave him Manuka Homey - 3 times a day for 3 days and he only coughed for 2 or 3 days from memory.

There's a bout going round our local park at the moment. I'm not so worried about my dogs getting it as long as they have a good immune system and not a depressed one where the CC can end up an infection.

The vet said on the phone its going around at the moment. :) They always drink out of a communal water bowl on our walk, would that be where he caught it? Can it be spread that way? Loki seems fine (cough wise) So what should I do with him? Will he have it already? I guess I will find out this afternoon....

Cannibal, when my young fella got it, I didn't take any precautions at home with separating him from the other dog. They still drank out of the same bowl etc - and the older one never came down with CC at all. I just figure he had a good immunity.

It's different for everyone but if you walked them together, then it's likely the other dog has been exposed as well so I reckon let time take it's course and see what happens - then worry or deal with it if need be :)

The vet said on the phone its going around at the moment. :) They always drink out of a communal water bowl on our walk, would that be where he caught it? Can it be spread that way? Loki seems fine (cough wise) So what should I do with him? Will he have it already? I guess I will find out this afternoon....

Usual mode of transmission is airborne.

This is one of the reasons I don't let my dogs drink from water bowls in public places.

I dont have a car, we are walking because it is just up the road from me. I dont know if I want to tie them up outside while I go in, but I may have too. The lady said it could be kennel cough but didn't say anything about not bringing them in. But they know its suspected so maybe they have a procedure in place?

Yeah, I'm a worry wart but Wylie is 6 and never been sick in his life! no, actually, he was burnt once but even then was fine. Its the other one I worry about.

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

We see a lot of KC in rescue - and I wouldn't be too concerned unless the dog develops other symptoms, like a yellow or green discharge from the nose, goes flat, or generally not it's normal self. If the coughing is upsetting the dog, then talk to your vet about using Benadryl to ease the sore throat. No need for AB's unless it turns to an infection (the green/yellow snot, or a high temperature)

Generally, in a normally healthy dog, the cough can last about 6-7 days - not much fun when they are sleeping on your bed, I can tell you... *grin*

Call the vet and ask questions rather than taking the dog for a walk up there - you will be spreading the KC everywhere if you do that...

T.

One more question, and I will ask the vet if it turns out to be it but could he have had it for a few days before he started coughing? and could I have spread it on my clothes? I went round a friends house for dinner on Saturday and played with her two dogs. I hope I haven't passed it on :) . Poor guy sound like he is sawing wood out there. Still running around bright and happy so I'm not too worried. Will ring the vet and ask about the risk of spreading it by taking him in.

Yep, after working in a shelter, I realised it can come out of nowhere, one minute the dog is fine, the next **HONK**

If you are going to take him to the vet maybe call them before hand so they can move him into a room quickly to try and avoid spreading it.

I know it sounds scary but ours have had it and it went away with a little bit of honey and Benadryl :)

Good luck!

I just rang them and the poor girl apologised when I asked. She said she completely forgot about that and asked if I can tie them up out side and check the waiting room first. They will have a spare room to put them in until they are seen. I'm not too worried right now as he is totally fine, except for the cough. He will chuck a fit tonight when they dont get a walk though. My neighbours will love me. They have a particular loud shreiking bark when things dont go their way :) .

Antibiotics are not necessary unless there develops a secondary infection. Otherwise, the antibiotics get given for no good reason, which of course only builds up resistance for when they might be needed (IMO).

My boy developed Canine Cough when he was a youngster. I kept him home and quiet and dosed him several times a day during the term of the cough (which for him only lasted 24 hours). He was over the whole thing (symptomatically speaking) within 48 hours and I kept dosing him with the Active Manuka Honey (UMF 20+ or higher) at least once a day for the remainder of the week.

Drinking from communal drinking water vessels is something I too avoid.

Antibiotics are not necessary unless there develops a secondary infection. Otherwise, the antibiotics get given for no good reason, which of course only builds up resistance for when they might be needed (IMO).

I agree with Erny, there is no need to take a dog with CC to a vet unless it develops a secondary bacterial infection. If your dog has a nasal discharge, is very lethargic or off its food a visit to a vet may be necessary, but the vast majority of dogs recover in less then a week with no veterinary intervention.

I agree with Erny, there is no need to take a dog with CC to a vet unless it develops a secondary bacterial infection. If your dog has a nasal discharge, is very lethargic or off its food a visit to a vet may be necessary, but the vast majority of dogs recover in less then a week with no veterinary intervention.

This is my experience too. It bothers the owners a lot more than the dogs I think :)