Dog Is Coughing! Loudly.

cannibalgoldfish

Also- wearing collars can put pressure on EXACTLY the spot where the irritation is in the throat...and cause more coughing.

Why do you need to take both dogs? Wouldn't it be easier with one?

Kennel cough will get better with supportive treatment .... it takes time,but with rest and something to soothe the cough, it will pass! :thumbsup:

I agree- if dog is not happy, weepy eyes, runny nose, deeper cough, not as keen on the food- then a vet visit is a good idea. :thanks:

persephone, I need to take the other one for a check up. He hasn't been himself lately and I'm worried about him. He seems off, and his coat has turned coarse and dry He isn't coughing so far, thankfully. I'm off in a bit so I will find out soon enough.

Ok. :thumbsup: thanks.

best of luck with them :thanks:

Im baaack. Vet was taking precautions, we came in the back and got to wait in a room on our own (where I got to look at his pet frog collection :thanks: ) Wylie does indeed have kennel cough. The brat was honking and coughing up to the door then naturally stopped. Typical. Loki has either a seasonal contact allergy or possibly a thyroid problem :party: We are seeing if its the allergy before anything else. So I have a honker and a scratcher! :thumbsup:

It is going to be a long week...... I cant walk them for a while. This will result in, as wikipedia puts it so well

A distinguishing characteristic of the breed is the so-called "shiba scream". When sufficiently provoked or unhappy, the dog will produce a loud, high pitched scream. This can occur when attempting to handle the dog in a way that it deems unacceptable.The animal may also emit a very similar sound during periods of great joy, such as the return of the owner after an extended absence, or the arrival of a favored human guest.
Every evening when I dont take them out for a walk. Pity my neighbours :thumbsup:

My boy had Canine Cough when he was 12 weeks old, and recovered well once they put him on the antibiotics. He had other symptoms too which was why the vet went with the antibiotics, a runny, crusty nose. Very similar to human flu I thought at the time.

Also got charged $50 for cough medicine from the vet, but when I peeled the label back, noted it was normal cough medicine for kids, that I could have bought over the counter at the chemist .. FYI.

All the best in their recovery.

Try having 3 large breed adult dogs hawking up all night while they sleep on your bed... then a week later have 9 two week old pups come down with it... pups that young can't cough, so they can get very gurgly and it sounds horrible! Cure for the pups was plenty of mum's milk (she'd had the cough the week before) and keep them warm and very dry - as soon as the bedding gets damp in any way, change it! All 9 pups survived and thrived...

T.

Hahaha! It was a bit scary there with the pups for a day or two, but I followed the advice of a very wise vet, and they all pulled through. I also foster pups for rescue, and a few of them have had the cough... no biggie nowadays... *grin*

I have a pup here at the moment that is on the tail end of her cough - she's only had a very mild dose though - the C5 vacc may have assisted with that. She is only coughing early in the morning and late at night now.

I'll agree that the first time you are confronted with a dog seemingly coughing it's lungs up, it's a bit of a fright... as long as they are eating and acting normally and have nothing nasty coming from their nose or eyes, you just ride it out, and they'll be just fine...

The fun part for you will be that you still can't take them out for 2 weeks AFTER the cough stops - as they are apparently still contagious.

T.

The fun part for you will be that you still can't take them out for 2 weeks AFTER the cough stops

I wondered about that and asked the vet. He said I can take him out in a week? :laugh:

Wylie had a bit of tonsilitis, so maybe that was all it is? I can hope anyway.... I dont want Loki getting anything. He is a brat as it is let alone hamming it up because he is "dying"