Can They Kill My Puppy?

PoppyDog

My 8 week old Puppy is still toilet training BUT when the sun goes down out come what look like cane toads! :driving:

So now I am paranoid about taking her out there for her night time wees/poos! They can kill dogs can't they? And I just KNOW Poppy would LOVE to chew on something that hops!

What to do???

Either go toad busting and collect them all to freeze or only take puppy out after dark on a lead so you can control where she goes to pee.

Edited by Ams

Supervise the outing!!!

I always do! :driving: She tends to like to munch on these mushrooms that have shot up in the back corner of the yard and I'm not too keen on that either but if I follow too closely she wont do her business! Lol!

Either go toad busting and collect them all to freeze or only take puppy out after dark on a lead so you can control where she goes to pee.

Eeeeek! Did I mention I'm a BIG girl! Lol! The only option for me is the lead although as above not sure she would do her business on the lead! Guess I can only try!

I think there was a thread on cane toads here a while back.

I think you may be able to secure your property using buried chicken wire if your main fences are secure and the toadies can't get in.

If she manages to grab one, rinsing her mouth out (tongue, gums, roof of mouth etc.) with a hose and using a face washer to get out any goo is the best thing, then off to the Vets if she still seems sick.

ETA: Get someone else to dispose of your toad population if you can't do it, they are an introduced species and you are supporting the population.

Teach her to toilet using a cue word when she goes and you will have no problem transferring that to the lead.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

If you start early enough I think it is possible to train your dog to leave them. From when we first got Jenna I used to go out with her at night and just a loud "ah ah" when she went near them and she seems to have learnt to leave them alone.

I do also look for toads when I let her out and get rid of any I can see.

You should be able to get her used to doing her business while she's on lead. When my girl was a baby I had to take her out in the front yard for the toilet because our back yard was really odd and mostly concrete so she was on lead. It takes a bit of patience at first, but she got used to it and it made it a lot easier to train her to go on command.

Are you able to secure a small area in the backyard that you could make toad proof, and have her toilet in there. (use compost cages from bunnings and make sure that there are no toads in it when you place her in.

Alternative a lead would be best :eek:

Yes, you do have to be mightly careful re the venom of cane toads & how it can kill pets. Someone once posted here, how their dog was frothing when a toad unloaded in its mouth. With presence of mind, the owner hosed the dog's mouth.....from the back & side (so not pushing the stuff down the throat).

Others have given good ideas. I've always found it helps to use the same toilet spot, in a well-lighted area....& first sussed out for any nearby toads, by doing a lot of banging & crashing with a rake. And also use a long light lead, so the dogs can't rush off exploring in other places.

Once, when I was specially paranoid, I put a ring of salt around the spot (I'd heard toads don't like salt & wouldn't cross). Of course, it can & did rain!

I would definitely be teaching your pup to leave them alone. Just the weekend passed we went to QLD where our friends have a Goldie who completely ignores the cane toads, whereas our two boofas immediately wanted to chase them, which completely freaked me out.

In the end my lovely friend would go outside (turn on the light first) and clap her hands until the toads moved away...I would also take our dogs out on the lead, better safe than sorry.

You can teach most dogs to leave them. She will also get used to going to the toilet whilst on lead. It may just take a little while. One of my dogs was untrainable about toads, she is obsessed. After many mouth hosings, she has learned to pick them up by a back leg - she carries them to her bed to torment at leisure *sigh*.

I spent the first couple of years after I moved here spraying every toad I saw with neat Pine O Clean from a spray bottle. They die quickly, and I don't have to put them in the freezer. If they are sprayed, they don't seem as attractive to the dogs either. From going out nightly, and collecting a 9 litre bucket full, I now only find the odd one. This method is not approvef by the politically correct, but that's how it goes here. :thumbsup: And there are fewer toxic pests in the world.

Thanks everyone!

I'm REALY not comfortable with teaching her to leave them alone. She is only 8 weeks and the 'uh uh' or 'no' doesnt work all of the time and I would HATE for it to fail when I needed it to work....IYKWIM.

We have gone out on the lead 2 nights in a row and nothing. She HATES the lead! And will NOT pee/poo while on it! Lol!

I do have a playpen set up outside but she is still getting used to being in it. I know if I put her in there and waited around she would cry blue murder and then if I were to leave her out in it I would worry about a toad getting in!

Can you tell I'm a pathetic first time Puppy owner who stresses about EVERYTHING! Haha!

Any chance you could try a soft muzzle on her until she's trained to 'leave it'??? Just a thought - or use a REALLY long lightweight lead (we use binder twine or hay string?? We have used this in the past and it's so light they don't know it's on!!!!!!!

Goodluck!!!!!

You can teach most dogs to leave them. She will also get used to going to the toilet whilst on lead. It may just take a little while. One of my dogs was untrainable about toads, she is obsessed. After many mouth hosings, she has learned to pick them up by a back leg - she carries them to her bed to torment at leisure *sigh*.

I spent the first couple of years after I moved here spraying every toad I saw with neat Pine O Clean from a spray bottle. They die quickly, and I don't have to put them in the freezer. If they are sprayed, they don't seem as attractive to the dogs either. From going out nightly, and collecting a 9 litre bucket full, I now only find the odd one. This method is not approvef by the politically correct, but that's how it goes here. :thumbsup: And there are fewer toxic pests in the world.

I think this is a great idea and will be passing it onto my friend who would have no qualms spraying the little buggers.