Dna Testing

Silverblue

Just thought I would share with you all the absolute nightmare I have been through.

2 years ago I sent a bitch off to a "breeder" to be mated, all went well, bitch came home in whelp.

She surprised us by delievering 9 healthy bubs 4 days early.

I kept 2 of these pups, sold another 2 on main register to show homes (both good friends) the rest went to loving homes.

I had had Mum tested & she was CLEAR for PRA & FN, the sire I chose was also CLEAR for PRA & FN, so no worries right???

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the pups were about 15 months old I thought I woud have him tested so I could get his "Clear by Parentage " certificate.

You can imagine my total disbelief & shock when I got the call from GTS to say that the sire on his pedigree had been EXCLUDED as the actual sire, once I picked myself off the floor they asked if I knew of any other dog on the property, there was another one, so I told them who he was and with in 10 mins they had called me back to tell they had run his DNA against the pup and it came back a absolute match.

I rang the "breeder" to be told bullshit blah blah, but there was no denying it, as the pup was the spitting image of him & it all fell into place why she whelped early, this "breeder" allowed my bitch to run with the other dog before she was mated to the dog of my choice.

To make matters worse, yes it gets worse.....................................

The actual sire was a Carrier of PRA, which I know isn't the end of the world, but not what I choose, so we had all the 4 pups on the MR tested, and all but one of them came back "Carriers" , I was truely devastated.

It has been such a saga to get the pedigree papers changed, it has taken 5 months of Stat Decs, lost mail, countless phone calls, but finally this week the new papers arrived with the correct sire now listed.

And I assume the owner of the sire has paid for all the DNA testing?

So sorry for the situation you have found yourself in, and good on you for not just sweeping it under the rug as too hard, not important or whatever.

Thank doG for DNA testing!

It's idiots like that give registered breeders a bad name. I'd be telling the world if my bitch was bred to a dog not of my choice.

There are plenty of unethical registered breeders as well. That ilk doesn't totally belong to BYB and puppy farmers. :eek:

I'd also be taking them court to recover costs. You'd have a good case.

OMG.

I know of one breeder who DELIBERATELY listed another dam as the maternal mother to a litter as the actual mother was a co-own and the breeder had a falling out with the co-owner.

No problem if they were just sold as purebred pets. Unfortunately they were ALL registered with the incorrent dam as the mother.

It really makes you mad when these things happen.

I know of one breeder who DELIBERATELY listed another dam as the maternal mother to a litter as the actual mother was a co-own and the breeder had a falling out with the co-owner.

I trust you reported this to the relevant CC so they could investigate it and demand the appropriate DNA tests.

:laugh:

Thats really awful - she must have known that the wrong dog mated your bitch - she should have never risked your bitch that way to start with but at the very least should have come clean so that you could have the litter aborted if thats what you wanted. She also should refund the stud fee as well as paying the dna costs. And even after all this time she didn't come clean.

I would never have sent my bitch to someone to be mated - if I couldn't get there physically I would arrange for semen to be collected and do an AI.

My next mating is a mating to make a mating - if the wrong sire is used that ruins plans for the next 3 generations !!! The set back would be undeniable.

Still shaking my head.

I seem to remember that events like this (sometimes involving substitution of a so-so stud for one with a winning record who commands a high stud fee) is why the greyhound racing folks DNA test all matings. Might not be a bad idea for pedigree dogs . . . or at least main register. If it's done routinely, the price will come down and people will be a lot more careful.

Yes I remember the time in the grey racing industry when this happened. I knew the guy whose bitch was mated to the racing grey, umm I'll acronym the dog as "BP" for short. It was the colours of the pups that made him question the sire so they got DNA'd and that was when the can of worms spewed all over the place. If a certain person wasn't so high up in the AFL at the time they would have been dragged over hot coals. :)

What an awful thing to have to go through. :thumbsup:

I am very glad that it has been sorted out on paper but very sad that you did not get the Sire that you had wanted. I would have been guttered had this of happened to me and so bitterly dissapointed. Thank you for sharing your story and this is a heads up that this can happen, and sadly this does happen and seems to continue to happen. I am aware of a number of these types of incidences. :D

I am all for compulsory DNA for pedigree certification, the sooner it is implemented the better!

ETA: I too would not leave a bitch of mine to be mated, I would rather pay the expense for chilled or frozen semen, at the end of the day it can work out the same as freight costs for sending the bitch.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts