Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

My problem as of last night is that Daisy, whilst focused and switched on, is bored during stays to the point of barking. I've been told a woof or two would be minor points but it's so frustrating as she's been really good the last few weeks.

If I don't rev her up before going into stays, it's likely she'll start scenting the ground and break for that. But after last night if I rev her up enough so she's focused she will bark and possibly sit up as she's barking. I wish this had become a problem a few weeks ago when I had time to fix it :rofl: Her stays have been so solid lately :)

Things that have been fine always break a week before your trialling debut! :) Ruby's sit stay broke a week before, and a week before Millie's, she decided to start standing up when I left her in a stay :laugh: Lucky she didn't do it in the trial, but I was really expecting her to!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way huski Banjo can be very noisy to so I'll be interested in how you go with training Daisy. Banjo is so impatient that when he's in the car and we pull up somewhere I can't even get the key out before he starts yodeling :laugh: .

Thanks RS I will try get him to look up and do a touch while we are heeling off, being male he may not be able to multi-task lol :laugh: The trouble with me is that I know that I cause most of Mason's faults, I dont know half of what I am doing wrong and its those little things that send him mixed signals etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

TSD it's funny, lately her stays have been really solid and she would not normally break them. Last night was a case of her barking and sitting up as she barked, it was like she couldnt bark lying she had to sit up to do it :laugh: she finds stays boring so I am quite sure it's frustration.

People have suggested I train her to have a relaxed command for stays but if Daisy is not in drive her urge to scent can really take over.

At this stage I am not expecting a pass :rofl: I will be pleased if she does all the other exercises well :)

Mas I found with Daisy taking it one step at a time helped as did rewarding when she wasn't expecting it i.e I would heel off one or two steps then run backwards and reward. She works best when she has no idea when the reward is coming, the anticipation really helps with her focus.

I gots a broken Soakie (she's on crate rest for at least a week - sliced open her pad)... So Jed is gonna get all the attention for training... Maybe I should try scent discrim with him again... I started UD box work with him. He LOVES it!

I'm very tempted to get my dogs leather collars and leads from K9 pro, they have a special on get the collar and super premium lead for $90. I think I want the 4ft leads. I hold the lead in one hand on walks and most of my training is off lead. Why do most people tend to like 6ft leads? I find them too long and get tangled up :laugh: . By the way ness don't laugh at me :rofl: .

:rofl: now why would I laugh Tiggy. My view is I tend to find 4ft to short but like you find the 6ft to long but it depends what you want them for. My normal ones are black dog smart leads so 1.5m which I guess is 5ft :laugh: . Edited by ness

A 4ft lead is a bit long for me - but your dogs are shorter than mine - so I would say go for it.....but $90 :laugh:

Did you win lotto?

Ptolomy I'm terrible for spending a lot of money on my dogs. If it was something for me I'd say $90 :laugh: I'm not paying that but for the dogs I have blinkers on :rofl: . Lucky I don't have 7 hey :laugh: .

:laugh: Ptolomy - I assumed Tiggy was talking about for walking - hmmm are we talking for trialling or walking.

Walking and training, will probably get a shorter one for trials, you know which one I want ness :rofl: .

I'm bored, so very very bored at work, feel like going on a spending spree for my dogs. But I didn't win lotto! I feel like going home and doing some training. I can't focus on anything here, I think I left my head at home today. Having one of those "foggy" days.

Yes, thanks guys, that is what I meant by the mood changes - mine. I go all serious and take away the fun, so I am going to make an effort to train in the ring like I do out of it!

I know it's easier said than done RubyStar but if you can manage to do this it really works - think it has made a world of difference to Riv's attitude in the trial ring the last couple of times we've done obedience :laugh: