Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I thought it might be an idea to have a thread just for anything training related we want to talk about. It'll stop us going way off topic in other threads :rolleyes: . Well Banjo is out of action again, had another grass seed pulled out from in between his toes and has to wear a sock out on walks. I get to concentrate on Sophie for a bit though which is good. I did some training with her in the driveway today. It makes me laugh how she loves the 'Hansel and Gretel' game for the chase of the food where as Banjo is like why did you throw it when you could have just given it to me :( . Well that's it for me today, hopefully everyone will think this thread is a good idea :mad .

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's a great idea!

Poor Banjo - I hope he's back in action soon! He must look cute with the sock!

I entered Jedi in his first trial since I pulled him because of his allergies. I am really excited about it! I think I'll cry when we get our first pass! It will be a long time coming. Soaks ate my one and only dumbbell a few days ago (it must've fallen on the floor before work one day)... Do you think she's trying to tell me she doesn't want to do dumbbell training anymore?! :rolleyes:

I just want to boast because Kivi Tarro is a targeting superstar! Yaaaay, Kivi! I attempted to teach him rear end awareness with a box months ago, and then some mat training a little later, but both fell flat when he failed to notice anything but me and therefore had no idea what he was getting clicked for and he just hates that, poor guy. I think it's fascinating that he has meltdowns if he's not sure what he's doing right even if his reward rate is really high.

Aaaaanyway, so I've been teaching him targeting, and he's coming along really well. This evening I started teaching him which way to sidestep for a hip target with a touch cue. He seemed to pick it up really fast, although he tends to have a great training session and then several really ordinary training sessions. :( The important thing is we have some nice rear end awareness going on with the hip targeting, and he nose targets very well, and he's just starting to make distance connections for left paw targeting. Most importantly, though, he's loving training. Targeting makes it all much less stressful for him. I'm going to teach Erik because I'm already discovering that luring all kind of looks the same and so how's he meant to know if I'm telling him to roll over, spin on the spot, or do a reverse circle around my left leg?? Not to mention the fact that if I'm not careful I signal him to do a reverse circle around my leg instead of rotating his back end closer to my leg! We got problems. :rolleyes: One dog is so alert he's acting on signals before I've finished giving them and the other is so un-alert that I have to teach him to pay attention to his surroundings!

I entered Jedi in his first trial since I pulled him because of his allergies. I am really excited about it! I think I'll cry when we get our first pass! It will be a long time coming. Soaks ate my one and only dumbbell a few days ago (it must've fallen on the floor before work one day)... Do you think she's trying to tell me she doesn't want to do dumbbell training anymore?! :rolleyes:

Banjo's dumbbell suffered the same fate :( .

Banjo's dumbbell suffered the same fate :( .

RIP dumbbells! Maybe we should have a memorial service. :mad

• 3 weeks later...

So I've noticed Sophie's heelwork isn't great on lead but as soon as I take the lead off different dog. She either remembers back to the old days of training which was on lead or most likely it's me because I do hate holding a lead, so much easier to have both hands free but I need to work on it because no way can I go straight into novice :D .

Eh, why not! If I can do Novice with a dog who likes to run off to greet the judge and the figure 8 posts, anybody can do it!! :D

I wish I could do CCD over again with Ruby, though.

Edited by RubyStar

Tiggy!!! Train off lead!!!! YOu don't have to do CCD and Novice is not that much of a step up....you know you can do it :crossfingers: In the bad old days there was no CCD and Novice was 2 rounds of heelwork, the first on lead and then off lead. Lots of people here will remember it I'm sure.

So I've noticed Sophie's heelwork isn't great on lead but as soon as I take the lead off different dog. She either remembers back to the old days of training which was on lead or most likely it's me because I do hate holding a lead, so much easier to have both hands free but I need to work on it because no way can I go straight into novice :( .

Tiggy!!! Train off lead!!!! YOu don't have to do CCD and Novice is not that much of a step up....you know you can do it :crossfingers: In the bad old days there was no CCD and Novice was 2 rounds of heelwork, the first on lead and then off lead. Lots of people here will remember it I'm sure.

Oh I remember!

We just did our first Novice round under the new rules last week...I had it in my head that the recall was the last exercise(as in the old days). I have no current rule book so I got onto YT to watch a round of Novice just prior to going to the trial ;)

I would recommend being a little bit more prepared for a trial than that :(

The scouts would dis-own you Caffy!!!! :(

Oh I remember!

We just did our first Novice round under the new rules last week...I had it in my head that the recall was the last exercise(as in the old days). I have no current rule book so I got onto YT to watch a round of Novice just prior to going to the trial :o

I would recommend being a little bit more prepared for a trial than that ;)

Nik, hows Jedi's allergies going? Do you have them under control?

Tilba has just had a bad attack of flea allergy dermatitis. Poor girls been scratching & biting at herself for weeks. I couldn't see anything but dandruff at 1st & when we came home from holidays was when I discovered all the bites on her stomach it was off to the vets for treatment.

Edited by luvsdogs

Oh I remember!

We just did our first Novice round under the new rules last week...I had it in my head that the recall was the last exercise(as in the old days). I have no current rule book so I got onto YT to watch a round of Novice just prior to going to the trial :D

I would recommend being a little bit more prepared for a trial than that :(

You must have chosen quite a skilled Novice round to watch to copy it - you guys kicked booty last week!! Obviously wasn't one of my videos ;) :o

I can't imagine 2 rounds of heelwork, that would be awful!! Thankful I started this obedience thing on the new rules!

Nik, hows Jedi's allergies going? Do you have them under control?

Tilba has just had a bad attack of flea allergy dermatitis. Poor girls been scratching & biting at herself for weeks. I couldn't see anything but dandruff at 1st & when we came home from holidays was when I discovered all the bites on her stomach it was off to the vets for treatment.

He's doing better... Losing hair like no tomorrow and is about 50% nude, but his skin is looking better. He still scratches but mostly of a morning when he wakes up and then there's not much during the day and evening. He can actually concentrate on an activity now! :crossfingers: So we've got our first OB trial on Friday since I put him on sick leave :( Hopefully we go okay!

Sorry about Tilba... I hope she recovers soon.

Edited by TerraNik

Tiggy!!! Train off lead!!!! YOu don't have to do CCD and Novice is not that much of a step up....you know you can do it :happydance2: In the bad old days there was no CCD and Novice was 2 rounds of heelwork, the first on lead and then off lead. Lots of people here will remember it I'm sure.

:thumbsup: Sounds too scary. Banjo heels on lead so I can do CCD with him but Sophie I'll have to see.

Edited by Tiggy

Tiggy I wonder if taking the leash off has become a bit of a signal that training is about to start, hence why she doesn't work as well on leash - do you play any training games on leash?

Tiggy I wonder if taking the leash off has become a bit of a signal that training is about to start, hence why she doesn't work as well on leash - do you play any training games on leash?

Could have a point there huski.

Could have a point there huski.

One thing I was really conscious of doing was ensuring that any drive work I did with Daisy I also did when she had her leash on as well as when it's off. We train with it on and off, and it doesn't make a difference to her.

Poor Daisy was attacked at obedience club tonight :laugh: A newbie dog got off leash and ripped into her. The owner froze and went and hid in the club house while it was happening. The dog had no collar on (slipped it) so it was hard to grab it. Luckily Daisy is physically ok. I really hope this doesn't impact on her easiness around other dogs, she is so tolerant and generally nonplussed with other dogs, I would hate for her to lose that.

I feel so upset, after what happened to Micha I have tried so hard to make sure nothing like that ever happens to Daisy and this is the first time she's ever experienced a dog attacking her :cry: