Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got so much to work on :o I'm feeling a little defeated at the moment!

Anyhoo, topic of scent, I tried teaching Ruby with the dogscout method and it took her FOREVER for it to click. Taught Millie in one session by starting with one article hidden under a magazine on the floor. She sniffed it out, brought it back. Did that a few times, then added an unscented one under another magazine. Off she went, sniffed them out, and was bringing back the correct one. Got rid of the magazines and kept the 2, repeat, correct one. Added more, my smartie pants girl still got it :coffee:

I haven't practiced it in ages, with either of the girls, so not sure what current state their scent is in. But what I do know is their presents are AWFUL. Ruby brings them back by the tip with it hanging out of her mouth ready to fall out - metals are the worst as they're hard to pick up. Millie can't bring it all the way back yet and offer a present, as we are still working on that part with the dumbell too.

I'll make an effort sometime during the week and do a scent session with both of them and film it to see how they're coming along since last time.

For which I am forever gratefull!!!!!!! :coffee::o

This might be a stupid question but do you have the one set of scent articles for multiple dogs or should they have their own :D ?

I have 4 or 5 sets which I rotate for training but really I only use 2 sets for trialling and there is always a spare set on the shelf for anybody that forgets there's at a BIG trial (not mentioning any names).

I actually have a bag of metals that I think I lent Rubystar which I found tonight and was the reason for thinking about starting Cider on scent again. They aren't all knurled and they aren't all the correct length - so they are great for training.

After Rory's obedience club class yesterday, I realise I have something else to add to the long list of things I should be doing with him. I realised I hadn't done any fast paced heeling, and he thought I was wanting him to do his show gait, leading out and away from me a bit. - actually gaiting quite nicely. :coffee: Oh well, back to the drawing board. Steady feet is coming on though - thank you WA gurus.

Just wanted to add I have been doing some 'steady feet' work with Lewis the tigger dog and I am having some results - so Thanks :love: His work would be better if I had been doing more training, been a bit slack of late, but the very first ever sit still exercise I tried he did even make 3 seconds!!! Now he can keep his feet still (and his bum - miracle!) for quite a few seconds.

Huski - Seita might be able to tell you where she got hers from.

Otherwise I know there is a lady you can order them from in NSW.

Janet Morrison Animal Care

www.obedienceproducts.com

Just so you can have a read - for all my dogs bar Lara, my first, I have used the dogscouts method of teaching scent.

http://dogscouts.org/Dog_Activ-_Scent_Disc...#Scent_Articles

I got mine from there too! But I'm going to have a play with making some myself as I keep losing articles or ella chews the wood ones up! I have a set reserved for trialling at the moment which she hasn't been allowed to use yet and won't until we hit the ring!

And agreed on the dog scout method! While it took Ella a while to catch on I had more success with it than other methods.

I'm not really working on anything at the moment... aside from fitness. Ella cannot physically manage a whole UD run out yet, she just gets too puffed about half way through. Which sucks as she can do all the exercises quite well, she just needs extra proofing. (note she's unfit due to a tick late last year!)

Argh ok how many others have dogs who insist its all about them and chew through leads while watching another dog being trained :rofl: :D :eek: ;) . It wasn't even the lead that was attached to her but the one on the ground which I had just tossed there.

Mine would :eek: She attempted to when I had her tethered to do some clicker training with Kyzer, Luckily I noticed in time and the lead only sustained slight damage (it was a crappy old lead anyway).

I use a wire crate for her at home now when it's not her turn :rofl:

But mine tried to chew through the leash that was actually holding her back :D Not just any old nearby leash ;) Was it a good one?

Her purple black dog one which she has had for a while so I guess she was due for a new one anyway :rofl: . It was starting to look a bit daggy as its her everyday lead which she wears all the time.

More money :D . Might get another lead and collar. Ness has 2-3 black dog sets of varying quality so think her sister might be due for more than 1. I did manage to rescue it before she was completely though it so will recycle it to her beach set I think.

I tied Banjo up last week while I trained Sophie and I turned around to see him trying to chew through his lead, lucky no damage as I love my leads.

Edited by Tiggy

I am feeling a bit bummed tonight, I am too sick to go to training and won't be able to go to the extra session on Wednesday either due to work stuff :( Boo. I am too sick to walk the dogs or go to the park too. Training at home is just not the same! I wish I had my articles already :)

I'm thinking training at the K9 is off for me tonight! The storm has just hit and I'm stuck at work! Hail stones the size of golf balls are coming down :D Not sure when I should risk going, will it get better or worse :rofl: Once I finally make it home :) I may do some steady feet training inside :(

I'm thinking training at the K9 is off for me tonight! The storm has just hit and I'm stuck at work! Hail stones the size of golf balls are coming down :)

Me too! :(

It looks like it snowed outside work! And all the trees got their leaves shredded, what a mess!

I hope my dogs are taking cover at home!

Kenzie article update from tonight.

Only her second session really and I actually think the penny as truely dropped. We were playing outside on the front lawn.

I started with metals and she was happily fetching the correct metal article with no mistakes. I then quickly worked up to having three unscented metals - she was sniffing the incorrect ones and you could see it was a deliberate decision as to which she was bringing back. I swapped dogs to get Ness to practice her presents.

Back to Kenz and she was still doing it so I had her find a scented wood in the pile of metals that were already there. I then went to adding another wood so she was working a pile of 3 metals, 2 woods (1 of which was scented). By the time we finished she was reliably working a pile of 3 metals, 2 unscented woods and finding a third scented wood. She was actually sniffing the articles and making a decision as to which to bring back :) . She was even able to remain focused enough to work while Ness was barking at somebody walking down the road

Will keep playing around with this level for a bit as I think we have progressed faster than I would have liked. I have done a bit with her of finding hidden articles of assorted descriptions in long grass so she does know how to use her nose I just didn't think we would get this sort of progress quite as quickly.

Ness took FOREVER to clue into the game.

Edited by ness

Well I decided to test out how fit my girl was tonight by doing as much of a UD run out as she could manage. Turns out she could get through a whole one! And all exercises were quite respectable until she got the wrong glove... :laugh: So I think with a bit more proofing she'll be heading out into the scary world of UD trials within the next 2 months!!! :laugh: